Labour Promises Four Day Working Week

Bud the Baker

18 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

He can say whatever he wants including stuff about collective bargaining because it's never going to be implemented.

Corbyn will never be in power.

Politics are quite fluid at present and with a GE coming up I certainly wouldn't write Labour off - their economic policies will certainly be more moderate than the Tories. If they can come up with a credible position on Brexit they might surprise you.   

Edited by Bud the Baker

The Labour party are the epitomy of shame in modern day politics.

From old Anthony "the liar in parliament" Blair to daft Gordon "wannae buy some cheap gold" Brown to Jeremy "lets pretend the anti semitism isnt real" Corbyn I must say it takes a special, very special type of idiot to vote Labour these days. 

The Tories are bastardo's but it must be said they make no attempt to hide it, Labour are a far more dangerous and vile beast.  They pretend to be "the good guys" but are in fact the most dangerous, power hungry, idiot ridden party of them all.  In all honesty I would rather see Morton beat us in a Scottish cup final than see those treacherous b*stards ever preside over me and my family again.  

So in case I have not made myself clear, I am no fan of Labour and I simply have no faith in anything anyone from the Labour party says ever,  

PS Diane Abbott as home secretary, are you having a laugh?  Q)  Whats 8 x 8 Diane  A) Turnips

It’s a nice idea in theory but like the “Extra Bank Holiday” idea, it won’t work for everyone.

I’m currently working two jobs, seven days a week. I am dropping these jobs and starting elsewhere on Friday, but even this job will probably see me working 6/7 day weeks, because instead of salary/wage it’s a simple matter of the more you do, the more you earn so the incentive is there to put the hours in.

1 hour ago, TediousTom said:

The Labour party are the epitomy of shame in modern day politics.

From old Anthony "the liar in parliament" Blair to daft Gordon "wannae buy some cheap gold" Brown to Jeremy "lets pretend the anti semitism isnt real" Corbyn I must say it takes a special, very special type of idiot to vote Labour these days. 

The Tories are bastardo's but it must be said they make no attempt to hide it, Labour are a far more dangerous and vile beast.  They pretend to be "the good guys" but are in fact the most dangerous, power hungry, idiot ridden party of them all.  In all honesty I would rather see Morton beat us in a Scottish cup final than see those treacherous b*stards ever preside over me and my family again.  

So in case I have not made myself clear, I am no fan of Labour and I simply have no faith in anything anyone from the Labour party says ever,  

PS Diane Abbott as home secretary, are you having a laugh?  Q)  Whats 8 x 8 Diane  A) Turnips

The Labour party are anti-Zionist not anti-Semitic.

I see your Diane Abbott and raise you an Priti Patel. 🎴 

3 hours ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

It’s a nice idea in theory but like the “Extra Bank Holiday” idea, it won’t work for everyone.

I’m currently working two jobs, seven days a week. I am dropping these jobs and starting elsewhere on Friday, but even this job will probably see me working 6/7 day weeks, because instead of salary/wage it’s a simple matter of the more you do, the more you earn so the incentive is there to put the hours in.

It's more than just money.

What people like Corbyn fail to understand is that millions of us actually enjoy working and we don't just do it for the money.

I see the 4 day/32 hour working week as an aspirational policy not one that will be imposed on people but as part of a range of policies designed to roll back the Tory anti-union rules of the last 30 years and one that will set welcome (to me anyway) trends in the workplace. If you compare it to the recent one from the Tory think tank endorsed by former party leader IDS of raising the state pension age then I think it's pretty clear which party is focussing on the needs of ordinary working people and which is looking to please big business & the banks.

It's more than just money.
What people like Corbyn fail to understand is that millions of us actually enjoy working and we don't just do it for the money.
Yup.
Fair point indeed.

I'm contracted to 35 hours a week.

Today was my first day back from annual leave.

To catch up, I chose to do a 12 hour shift.
Training after work means another 12 hour shift tomorrow.

I will work five days (I did six before my holiday).

I don't grudge a second.

I don't look for praise.

Totally my choice.

For 25 years I have been incredibly fortunate to have a job I absolutely love.

If I need to work late, I can do so of my own free will.

I can take time owed back if it suits me.

Why would anyone want to legislate against that if it was entirely the free will of the employee?

We're constantly being told that the UK is the 5th largest economy in the world but then on the other hand we've been undergoing austerity measures and all it's consequences for the last 10 or so years. Jeremy Corbyn got it right in his speech yesterday, when it comes to economic policy the only question that matters is does it benefit the 1% or the 99%?

We're constantly being told that the UK is the 5th largest economy in the world but then on the other hand we've been undergoing austerity measures and all it's consequences for the last 10 or so years. Jeremy Corbyn got it right in his speech yesterday, when it comes to economic policy the only question that matters is does it benefit the 1% or the 99%?

I’m assuming JC is in the 1% bracket as it’s alleged he has a net worth £4 million.

8 minutes ago, Russian Saint said:

I’m assuming JC is in the 1% bracket as it’s alleged he has a net worth £4 million.

No doubt, but that doesn't change my opinion of the measures he announced in his speech yesterday.

It's always been 1% vs 99% and probably always will be but I'm not going to be distracted by an irrelevance - I will change my opinion on Corbyn if Labour win the upcoming GE and he doesn't attempt to implement the policies. .

29 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

No doubt, but that doesn't change my opinion of the measures he announced in his speech yesterday.

It's always been 1% vs 99% and probably always will be but I'm not going to be distracted by an irrelevance - I will change my opinion on Corbyn if Labour win the upcoming GE and he doesn't attempt to implement the policies. .

I'm not committed to any party but feel most comfortable in the left of centre across the spectrum. Any redistribution of wealth that is sudden in either direction runs the risk of creating unexpected and unwanted consequences. Progressive changes are more likely to be sustainable. Nice to see some of the successful policies in Scotland suggested for introduction in England. 

1 hour ago, Russian Saint said:

As a huge chunk of the alleged £4m will be bound up in his daftly price-inflated Islington home, I think you can safely assume he is NOT part of the 1% to be targeted.

But you probably knew that...

46 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

I'm not committed to any party but feel most comfortable in the left of centre across the spectrum. Any redistribution of wealth that is sudden in either direction runs the risk of creating unexpected and unwanted consequences. Progressive changes are more likely to be sustainable. Nice to see some of the successful policies in Scotland suggested for introduction in England. 

The Tabloids (All exploited by ex-pat/foreign, non-domiciled, tax-avoiding owners) never seem to see a huge problem with massive monies being diverted towards them.

And I haven't seen any news media picking up on the millions being made by hedge-fund operators such as Reees-Mogggg and co  who have been manipulating Brexit shenanigans in order to make even more money from Britain's impoverishment - and THEY don't give a toss about the consequences of THEIR actions.

I have no concerns about the random Lottery winners and I would happily take that risk.

18 minutes ago, antrin said:

The Tabloids (All exploited by ex-pat/foreign, non-domiciled, tax-avoiding owners) never seem to see a huge problem with massive monies being diverted towards them.

And I haven't seen any news media picking up on the millions being made by hedge-fund operators such as Reees-Mogggg and co  who have been manipulating Brexit shenanigans in order to make even more money from Britain's impoverishment - and THEY don't give a toss about the consequences of THEIR actions.

I have no concerns about the random Lottery winners and I would happily take that risk.

I haven't objected to change. I've supported it and will continue to support it. I am pragmatic though and don't expect overnight change, nor do I think this would be the best way to go about it. Continue to move away from a right wing capitalist agenda by all means. 

On 9/23/2019 at 4:32 PM, Bud the Baker said:

Politics are quite fluid at present and with a GE coming up I certainly wouldn't write Labour off - their economic policies will certainly be more moderate than the Tories. If they can come up with a credible position on Brexit they might surprise you.   

Well they had their chance to hold a credible plan on Brexit and they've failed IMO.

I'm not even sure Corbyn will gain enough support to lead an interim government because of this stance.

I'm now confused about what the opposition are trying to do.

Why don't they simply call a VONC, put in place an interim government to delay or cancel Brexit, announce a new referendum if needed and then go to election. Am I missing something here? What are they waiting for?