A New Signing

munoz

Do we need to bring in someone who can provide a cutting edge? Defensively we now look solid,  but at the other end meek.  Adam Hammill is available or someone of the same type. 

Looking at the squad we are limited to any changes that would make a difference.  Djorkaeff and McGinn are 2 that haven't featured,  would any make any difference to our attacking  woes? I'm not sure. 

Will another 31 0-0 draws save us from relegation,  I'm not sure. 

21 minutes ago, munoz said:

Do we need to bring in someone who can provide a cutting edge? Defensively we now look solid,  but at the other end meek.  Adam Hammill is available or someone of the same type. 

Looking at the squad we are limited to any changes that would make a difference.  Djorkaeff and McGinn are 2 that haven't featured,  would any make any difference to our attacking  woes? I'm not sure. 

AFAIK Jim has already exceeded his budget so would doubt there is money for another striker.

22 minutes ago, munoz said:

No he isn't.

Just now, FTOF said:

No he isn't.

Just found that out on another thread. 

He's not the only player out of contract that could make a difference to our current woes.  

This time (more or less) last season we brought in Hammill,  Ferdinand and Jackson.  

3 minutes ago, munoz said:

Just found that out on another thread. 

He's not the only player out of contract that could make a difference to our current woes.  

This time (more or less) last season we brought in Hammill,  Ferdinand and Jackson.  

This time last season, we were haemorrhaging goals and on a one way ticket to relegation.

We're one win away from eight place.

If we defend as solidly as we have done so far, for the most part, and get a bit of luck in front of goal, then that could be the catalyst to bigger and better things.

3 minutes ago, FTOF said:

This time last season, we were haemorrhaging goals and on a one way ticket to relegation.

If we defend as solidly as we have done so far, for the most part, and get a bit of luck in front of goal, then that could be the catalyst to bigger and better things.

Fine lines and all that.  I agree it makes a big difference having a solid defensive footing,  from Hladky outwards. Unfortunately for me we look toothless in the final 3rd. Our attacking midfield players look devoid of any invention and our forwards look clumsy and but in their defence,  isolated. 

We look nervous in attack with no one looking like they can make a difference presently. 

6 minutes ago, munoz said:

Fine lines and all that.  I agree it makes a big difference having a solid defensive footing,  from Hladky outwards. Unfortunately for me we look toothless in the final 3rd. Our attacking midfield players look devoid of any invention and our forwards look clumsy and but in their defence,  isolated. 

We look nervous in attack with no one looking like they can make a difference presently. 

I made the remark to my pal next to me that we were looking for/ needing an individual effort to score. It just wasn't coming otherwise. No lack of effort though. 

In the last three games we've only had four shots on target with most of the misses going over the bar.  This is basic trying to keep the ball down and that means hitting it with the right part of the foot; you know, school boy stuff.

I think the players we have are reasonable what we need to improve on is the coaching.

Edited by Desperately Seeking Susans

25 minutes ago, FTOF said:

To a certain extent I agree, we are not getting pumped.

On the other hand we've not looked like winning a game since...............................well, we beat Aberdeen, which at the end of the day we got off lightly.

We need more than luck in front of goal as we create next to nothing.

If that's down to service or poor forwards is unclear IMO. 

46 minutes ago, FTOF said:

That;s the great thing about early season stats. 

5 games ago we were one win away from 1st place. 

Another way of looking at things. We have less than half the points of Ross County after playing 7 games this season and also trail other potential relegation candidates: Livingston, Hamilton Accies and are 1 defeat away from bottom place.

While I think Goodwin should be a good appointment in the medium term I have a feeling we have gone backwards since the end of last season when we had a bit of momentum and luck and were on a decent run of results for the final 3 months of the season.

19 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

I've lost count of the total number of times we've hit the post, hit the bar and had goals disallowed in the last 3 games alone. That's before we talk about the chance where one of our players blocked an open goal.

If that lot had gone our way we'd be sitting up with Ross County.

If the other teams had a bit of luck we'd have conceded more goals.

You do know there are two teams in a football match? :rolleyes:

FFS, if yer maw had balls.....................................oh wait. :lol:

PS Playing to the crowd.........................ring a bell? :P

Edited by faraway saint

9 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

I've lost count of the total number of times we've hit the post, hit the bar and had goals disallowed in the last 3 games alone. That's before we talk about the chance where one of our players blocked an open goal.

If that lot had gone our way we'd be sitting up with Ross County.

Difficult to lose count.

today Saints had ZERO shots on target..... and only 7 shots all in,, compared with struggling Hearts who had 11 shots, 5 on target.

If Ross county hadn’t scored goals, it would be nestling near St Mirren at the foot of the table.

there is quality and there is not.

saints are currently short on quality.

If the budget is gone then we need to look at how we could change things up with the current squad.

Starting Danny Mullen in place of Andreu and working out how to get the best out of Kyle McAllister are the only options I see. We know these guys can score goals when on form.

Goodwin will need to show some tactical flexibility. His system relies on the full backs getting good crosses in to the box. We are as well just giving the ball back to the opposition rather than relying on Calum Waters to cross the ball.

We then we need to hope we can turn Junior and Obika in to Premier League strikers. Maybe send an SOS to Allan Russell to come up, or send someone up, to do some attacking coaching for a couple of weeks. Just something different to shake things up and maybe get some confidence back in front of goals for the strikers and attacking midfielders who to a man have been utter rank when presented with a decent chance.

All that said, budgets and squads are always flexible. I would hope we are hunting high and low for someone to add something different in the final third.

13 hours ago, faraway saint said:

If the other teams had a bit of luck we'd have conceded more goals.

You do know there are two teams in a football match? :rolleyes:

FFS, if yer maw had balls.....................................oh wait. :lol:

PS Playing to the crowd.........................ring a bell? :P

How surprising that you should entirely miss the point. :lol:

15 hours ago, Desperately Seeking Susans said:

In the last three games we've only had four shots on target with most of the misses going over the bar.  This is basic trying to keep the ball down and that means hitting it with the right part of the foot; you know, school boy stuff.

I think the players we have are reasonable what we need to improve on is the coaching.

1. We are not creating enough chances.. Agreed. 2. We are relying on individuals to make and score goals. 3. Finishing by these has been poor. Whether that is technique or lack of confidence, I don't know. 

14 minutes ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

Any reason Djorkaeff isn’t getting a look in? Is he definitely pisher than the others or does he deserve his chance?

He looked fair in the final third in my first sighting of him in the friendly at Stenhousemuir. League Cup form was middling. 

Edited by St.Ricky