Motherwell v St Mirren Sat 5th October

faraway saint

Yes Livi are working their socks off and all know what their roles are? The boy Dykes is miles ahead of the 2 rockets we signed as alleged strikers, take a bow Gus and Goody! We are fast becoming a joke ! We need a root and branch clean oot![emoji35]

When will Saints fans wake up and realise that Scott & Co cant help but 'screw the pooch' when it comes to all things smfc...
Five managers in three years
Shambles with Stubbs
Shambolic treatment of Oran
Millions wasted on compensation/ mutuals...
They have snatched apathy from the jaws of success... they are the common denominator in all this. As long as they are in situ, we will suffer.

3 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Who's taking about them winning???

I was talking about their goals.

You're the rocket who was happy 2 weeks ago because "we are making chances", are you still as happy now???

Wasn't happy with results then and not happy with the result yesterday but we are creating chances. Using St Johnstone as an example of where we should be is the words of big daft rocket imo. 

I still have confidence in Jim and he has confidence in his team so it should turn out for the better. If not it will be the January sales again 
The worry is that these players are on 2 year deals and will expect a significant payoff.

We backed Jim heavily in the summer, so hopefully all we are missing is a Hammill type as wholesale changes would be very expensive.

2 minutes ago, John Gotti said:

The worry is that these players are on 2 year deals and will expect a significant payoff.

We backed Jim heavily in the summer, so hopefully all we are missing is a Hammill type as wholesale changes would be very expensive.

I do think a creative midfielder would help, Foley and Flynn are good at breaking up play but aren't renowned for their defence splitting passes.

The issue is tactical and not entirely the fault of the strikers, we are set up to be hard to beat but that has been at the expense of our attacking play. It's interesting to note that the stats indicate we created more yesterday and away at Hibs, games we were not favourites in, than at home to Accies. We need a different approach for games against teams round about us, hopefully involving two wingers and two strikers.

I do think a creative midfielder would help, Foley and Flynn are good at breaking up play but aren't renowned for their defence splitting passes.
The issue is tactical and not entirely the fault of the strikers, we are set up to be hard to beat but that has been at the expense of our attacking play. It's interesting to note that the stats indicate we created more yesterday and away at Hibs, games we were not favourites in, than at home to Accies. We need a different approach for games against teams round about us, hopefully involving two wingers and two strikers.
The only flaw in that analysis is we have been beaten in five out of eight.! So not that hard to beat as we don't score goals. One goal will do.

Alarming to hear Goodwin say after the game that letting Motherwell run all over us in the first half was actually a tactic. FFS!

We have 4 strikers on the books and none of them are good enough for this level. The central midfielders are hard working but don’t get forward enough and are never going to score. Magennis was invisible yesterday for the most part. Durmus put in some decent crosses that nobody attacked. Mullen spent half the game on his arse. Really fear for us as things stand.

11 hours ago, Kemp said:

We are lacking quality, the ability to pick out a pass and open up defences. 

Stephen McGinn is sitting on the bench.

Time for a change, Jim!

He is not quality at Premiership level and will add nothing to the team. 

This type of stuff reminds me of when Jim Goodwin was finished at St Mirren

Edited by lenziebud

Dear God those highlights were painful to watch. Not one saints chance in the first half, but five for Well with the fifth hitting the onion sack.
Second half only three saints chances shown but Well step it up and catch Mcloughlin in no mans land for their second.
Unlucky my arse... we are lucky Hladky kept it under six!

On 10/5/2019 at 5:19 PM, norrie82 said:

we need to sign a striker now as this lot look absolutely hopeless up front . Let’s put all our cash from the monthly spends and anything else into getting a guy in and pay his wages. 

How much will we have to spend and who are you thinking we can get?

29 minutes ago, Sweeper07 said:

How much will we have to spend and who are you thinking we can get?

Why do we need to spend ?

We had Ross Stewart, we bagged him ?

We could sign anyone, fact is all good strikers, work their socks off, they start in midfield and move forward, every top goal scorer does this …………...

This is not just about a striker, its about the fact we set up, apparently to counter attack, but no one actually does.

Example- Leicester counter attack, they have a solid defence but also lightening fast Attacking Midfielders and forwards , they have the ability to link, they have the ability to high press...………..

Are we seriously saying- playing so far back, with no outlet player , that we expect to score...……….

Stupidity is doing the same thing again and again that doesn't work...…

Its not just the players, its the system applied ……………. its not working...……………. do the same against Fakes we will be bottom  

On 10/6/2019 at 9:41 AM, East Lothian Saint said:

Goody says "Don't Panic we're only three points off 7th. It's not like we're adrift at the bottom"    Thanks Goody that's so reassuring. I feel safer now.

image.png.582b65fd8546744a39e1bb177c345286.png

Given how results are falling week in week out - this is Captain Mainwaring talk... 

I don't think all our players other than Hladky and 1 or 2 others are bad players, but there are lots of things we need to fix - here is a sample:-

1. Losing markers and letting them score against us. Against Motherwell, Foley is in our LB position covering their No.6 and Waters is to his right covering no one - Foley should have passed his man to Waters and been out on the edge of the box to support Flynn is is left with 3 players to watch... Durmus poor effort of a tackle and then lets the player wander away so he is marking no one. Even if the boy Scott had not shot, Broadfoot is trying to go out and shut him down, and his man then has space to take a simply pass and an easy shot inside our box.   The 2nd goal was awful. Djork gives it away, Waters is out of position and his man runs down the right wing; MacLoughlin goes out to cover, but is far too easily beaten and does not stop the shot or even make a tackle. Suggested fix 1 Bring back JACK BARID at least he can tackle and block shots.... This is at least the 3rd such goal I have seen MacLoughlin lose like this... we also need to get right in about players and stop giving them so much time on the ball...

2. We seem to be too ridged in our set up and we don't seem to make space for many chances - i.e. our players are not managing to losing their markers. Watching the weekend games on tv, a number of goals were created by folk breaking out in various ways. Dykes, Goldson (All the way from defence to the 6 yard box passing out to the wing and then getting on the end of the cross), Stevie May. I thought Goodie was going to set us up as a counter attacking team? If so, Suggested fix 2 = players need to pass the ball quickly and in a forwards direction and players have to be off their marks at speed... players need to risk breaking forwards while team mates need to remember to cover if we lose the ball.

3. We get caught on the counter. How many corners did we give back possession from only to find ourselves scurrying back and allowing the opposition to have another pop at our goal? Answer far too many. Suggested fix 3 = Get the ball to our players and put it in their net, meanwhile making sure we are actually covering their players who might counter attack us if we lose possession - even if it means taking a booking from time to time.

4. Our balance / set up is wrong - it clearly is NOT working and we wont survive even if we don't lose many goals if we don't pick up 3 points in some games - and that means we need to score goals.  We have too many players of a similar ilk. Their first thought is to go back the way! We don't seem to swap places and wander to confuse the opposition. We don't play passes that move us forwards with runners in support. Suggestion 4 = change this, it is not difficult to do.

5. Team are playing with no confidence and hence very little belief. I don't think Waters is good enough and MacLouglin is a mixed bag at this level, but guys like Magennis and McGinn are not playing staring roles any week and certainly not with any consistency. I do not mean to have a pop at those two, but simply using them as an example for my point. On their day they can be the best player on the park - has that happened this season? Suggestion 5 = Whatever it takes to get players to improve their thinking and expectations. Talk about the team being fully of good players who when they play at their best will make us bring in the 3 points. (Fitness, sharpness, building confidence etc.)

6. The strikers are getting crap service and not getting anywhere near enough support. (players are too defensive and too easily marked out of supporting) I am not sure the strikers are much good, but when our best chance (maybes even our only chance for a striker) was Mullens shot from 25 yards (corner of the 18 yard box) which was a decent save, then we are not getting into the box or finding space anywhere near enough to get many goals.. Suggestion 6 = We need to vary how we play, but runners must drag the opposition all over the place to create spaces - we also need to get our final passes and shots to a much higher standard. (More players finding space in the box and in support)

JG no excuses - you have the break to sort all this and more - cause a defeat against the Fakes would be a total disaster. A win on the other hand could be the start of real progress . . .   C O Y S

17 minutes ago, Sweeper07 said:

Given how results are falling week in week out - this is Captain Mainwaring talk... 

I don't think all our players other than Hladky and 1 or 2 others are bad players, but there are lots of things we need to fix - here is a sample:-

1. Losing markers and letting them score against us. Against Motherwell, Foley is in our LB position covering their No.6 and Waters is to his right covering no one - Foley should have passed his man to Waters and been out on the edge of the box to support Flynn is is left with 3 players to watch... Durmus poor effort of a tackle and then lets the player wander away so he is marking no one. Even if the boy Scott had not shot, Broadfoot is trying to go out and shut him down, and his man then has space to take a simply pass and an easy shot inside our box.   The 2nd goal was awful. Djork gives it away, Waters is out of position and his man runs down the right wing; MacLoughlin goes out to cover, but is far too easily beaten and does not stop the shot or even make a tackle. Suggested fix 1 Bring back JACK BARID at least he can tackle and block shots.... This is at least the 3rd such goal I have seen MacLoughlin lose like this... we also need to get right in about players and stop giving them so much time on the ball...

2. We seem to be too ridged in our set up and we don't seem to make space for many chances - i.e. our players are not managing to losing their markers. Watching the weekend games on tv, a number of goals were created by folk breaking out in various ways. Dykes, Goldson (All the way from defence to the 6 yard box passing out to the wing and then getting on the end of the cross), Stevie May. I thought Goodie was going to set us up as a counter attacking team? If so, Suggested fix 2 = players need to pass the ball quickly and in a forwards direction and players have to be off their marks at speed... players need to risk breaking forwards while team mates need to remember to cover if we lose the ball.

3. We get caught on the counter. How many corners did we give back possession from only to find ourselves scurrying back and allowing the opposition to have another pop at our goal? Answer far too many. Suggested fix 3 = Get the ball to our players and put it in their net, meanwhile making sure we are actually covering their players who might counter attack us if we lose possession - even if it means taking a booking from time to time.

4. Our balance / set up is wrong - it clearly is NOT working and we wont survive even if we don't lose many goals if we don't pick up 3 points in some games - and that means we need to score goals.  We have too many players of a similar ilk. Their first thought is to go back the way! We don't seem to swap places and wander to confuse the opposition. We don't play passes that move us forwards with runners in support. Suggestion 4 = change this, it is not difficult to do.

5. Team are playing with no confidence and hence very little belief. I don't think Waters is good enough and MacLouglin is a mixed bag at this level, but guys like Magennis and McGinn are not playing staring roles any week and certainly not with any consistency. I do not mean to have a pop at those two, but simply using them as an example for my point. On their day they can be the best player on the park - has that happened this season? Suggestion 5 = Whatever it takes to get players to improve their thinking and expectations. Talk about the team being fully of good players who when they play at their best will make us bring in the 3 points. (Fitness, sharpness, building confidence etc.)

6. The strikers are getting crap service and not getting anywhere near enough support. (players are too defensive and too easily marked out of supporting) I am not sure the strikers are much good, but when our best chance (maybes even our only chance for a striker) was Mullens shot from 25 yards (corner of the 18 yard box) which was a decent save, then we are not getting into the box or finding space anywhere near enough to get many goals.. Suggestion 6 = We need to vary how we play, but runners must drag the opposition all over the place to create spaces - we also need to get our final passes and shots to a much higher standard. (More players finding space in the box and in support)

JG no excuses - you have the break to sort all this and more - cause a defeat against the Fakes would be a total disaster. A win on the other hand could be the start of real progress . . .   C O Y S

Just common sense really😂 😂😂😂

It is evident Fixes 2,4 & 6 are not being put into practise.

Loved Fix 3. Score.

Some good constructive criticisms. 

Valid points. Be careful, if GLS reads this you could be the new manager.

2 minutes ago, East Lothian Saint said:

Just common sense really😂 😂😂😂

It is evident Fixes 2,4 & 6 are not being put into practise.

Loved Fix 3. Score.

Some good constructive criticisms. 

Valid points. Be careful, if GLS reads this you could be the new manager.

It does sound tongue in cheek but scoring makes all the difference in the world - defenders feel more confident that they can focus on defence expecting others to bring in the points. Midfield want to create more goals and prevent opposition from stealing the points from us with increased ardour etc. It is a real morale booster to know you can get goals and most probably will.  This is the polar opposite to where we are right now...

I did manage a team once for 6 months or so and we moved well up the league... interim was enough for me though and I was off when the new management team came in. Pressures were far worse than being a professional player by such a long way... it takes a certain type to manage and that is why so many don't last the duration of their contracts...

• 2 weeks later...