Our Greatest ever player

I didn't straight away...

But as soon as you gave me a time reference it became obvious.

Great keeper and one of the first eleven I memorised...

Hunter

Beckett

Johnston

Fitzpatrick

Reid

Young

McGarvey

Stark

Torrance

Richardson

Hyslop

Bobby Torrance actually started very games that season, albeit he managed to score a lot of goals in the time he did play.

Donny McDowell was number 9 most of the season, he was my favourite player.

Disgusting that you missed him out [emoji12]

Bobby Torrance actually started very games that season, albeit he managed to score a lot of goals in the time he did play.

I loved wee pigeon chest...
Sadly for him... supersub had the starting jersey when I started watching them.

McDowell was a great wee player. Pacey too.

• 2 weeks later...

The question is ' name the person that you consider your clubs greatest ever player '

That statement is open to some interpretation. If it is the greatest ever player to play for St Mirren then the following are possibly the top due to international recognition (although no-one in their right mind would vote for Djemba Djemba) -

Victor Munoz (60 caps Spain))

Roy Aitken (57 caps Scotland)

Djemba Djemba (34 caps Cameroon)

Gordon McQueen (30 caps Scotland)

Steve Archibald (27 caps Scotland)

John McGinn (19 caps Scotland)

Stephen Thompson (16 caps Scotland)

Ian Ure (11 caps Scotland)

Gerry Baker (8 caps USA)

Iain Munro (7 caps Scotland)

Billy Thomson (7 caps Scotland)

Frank McGarvey (7 caps Scotland)

Peter Weir (6 caps Scotland)

Frank McAvennie 5 caps Scotland)

Apologies if I missed anyone else with a significant number of caps but you get the drift - a lot of caps does not necessarily make someone a great St Mirren player unless they got all their caps playing for St Mirren. Step up Iain Munro and Billy Thomson.

If you interpret the the question as who do you consider the player that contributed significantly and was a personal favourite then for me possibly Billy Stark or Iain Munro - probably Munro due to his versatility and penalty taking - with Peter Weir, McAvennie and McGarvey close behind.

Of course it could be interpreted as players who were leaders who drove the team on then Billy Fulton, Fitzpatrick, Goodwin, Aber and Shuggie would be in there.

If were talking best ever... (and I go back to the days of Bobby Pinkerton and big Jim Blair etc)   We are lucky to have him here now. don't think i've ever seen a more accomplished player in his position as Valclav Hladky  not only is he a fantastic goalkeeper he's arguably the best passer of a ball at the club too 

5 hours ago, Sonny said:

The question is ' name the person that you consider your clubs greatest ever player '

That statement is open to some interpretation. If it is the greatest ever player to play for St Mirren then the following are possibly the top due to international recognition (although no-one in their right mind would vote for Djemba Djemba) -

Gerry Baker (8 caps USA)

Apologies if I missed anyone else with a significant number of caps but you get the drift - a lot of caps does not necessarily make someone a great St Mirren player unless they got all their caps playing for St Mirren. Step up Iain Munro and Billy Thomson.

If you interpret the the question as who do you consider the player that contributed significantly and was a personal favourite then for me possibly Billy Stark or Iain Munro - probably Munro due to his versatility and penalty taking - with Peter Weir, McAvennie and McGarvey close behind.

Of course it could be interpreted as players who were leaders who drove the team on then Billy Fulton, Fitzpatrick, Goodwin, Aber and Shuggie would be in there.

I’m gutted that in amongst all the caps you missed our greatest LB of all time with 38 caps for Guinea, super Mo Camara 🙄

How many caps did Gunni get for Iceland?

Gerry Baker (8 caps USA)

Frank was the most entertaining for sure. However in order to be 'The Greatest' it has to be someone who is respected throughout the game, and has Saints truly at heart. Someone who could stand shoulder to shoulder with The Greatests from all of the rival teams. McNeil, Greig, Miller, Stanton  There is only one.Tony Fitzpatrick. 

If I was to name my best St. Mirren team for the entire period I have been going to see them (1974-present) there wouldn’t be a single player in the entire squad never mind first eleven who didn’t feature for the club at some stage between 1976-1984.

Noteable mentions would be for Torfason, Ferguson, Victor, Yardley, Lavety, Thompson and maybe a few others I can’t bring to mind, but none would make the squad.

On 10/5/2019 at 5:25 AM, branniganm said:

Jackie Copland was my hero when i was wee.  I meet him in the St Mirren shop in the piazza once and just about sh*t myself.  He just seemed immense !!!

You could count on Jackie to do his job - loved the club.