vs The Fakes 19 October

Jim's tactics are not working and need to change. He wants to defend in depth then counter attack on the break. The defend in depth is working but the tactics stop at that point. The team seem to be adopting a mind set of defending and playing it safe.

In comparison I watched Alloa the other night and they attacked on the break to great effect. They did it by fast forward passing to feet; one touch football and getting bodies up the park by breaking in all directions when they win the ball. Whereas we pass sideways and backwards allowing the opposition to get players behind the ball. The midfield sit far too deep leaving the forwards isolated and there is no running off the ball. All this resorts to Vaclev having to boot it up to a forward as he has few options trying to play it from the back.

Magennis is the only player willing to have a shot and is wasted out wide. He has to be pulled back into the middle and I would play him off a front man. We only need one defensive midfielder and I think Foley is best suited to that job. Allow Flynn to get forward more. Paul McGinn is one of the few who actually looks for and runs into space. If Waters doesn't up his game significantly by doing the same on the left (and passing forward keeping the ball in the park) then I would move Paul to left back and use Cammy McPherson at right back. 

I also felt we lacked leadership in recent games. Although Sean and Kirky are both playing well the Bank brings leadership into the team and I would bring him back. Like wise Steven McGinn.

My team against the Fakes would be

Vaclev

McGinn  Broadfoot  The Bank  Waters (last chance saloon)

Foley

Flynn   Magennis  McGinn  Durmus

Mullen

15 minutes ago, Sonny said:

Jim's tactics are not working and need to change. He wants to defend in depth then counter attack on the break. The defend in depth is working but the tactics stop at that point. The team seem to be adopting a mind set of defending and playing it safe.

In comparison I watched Alloa the other night and they attacked on the break to great effect. They did it by fast forward passing to feet; one touch football and getting bodies up the park by breaking in all directions when they win the ball. Whereas we pass sideways and backwards allowing the opposition to get players behind the ball. The midfield sit far too deep leaving the forwards isolated and there is no running off the ball. All this resorts to Vaclev having to boot it up to a forward as he has few options trying to play it from the back.

Magennis is the only player willing to have a shot and is wasted out wide. He has to be pulled back into the middle and I would play him off a front man. We only need one defensive midfielder and I think Foley is best suited to that job. Allow Flynn to get forward more. Paul McGinn is one of the few who actually looks for and runs into space. If Waters doesn't up his game significantly by doing the same on the left (and passing forward keeping the ball in the park) then I would move Paul to left back and use Cammy McPherson at right back. 

I also felt we lacked leadership in recent games. Although Sean and Kirky are both playing well the Bank brings leadership into the team and I would bring him back. Like wise Steven McGinn.

My team against the Fakes would be

Vaclev

McGinn  Broadfoot  The Bank  Waters (last chance saloon)

Foley

Flynn   Magennis  McGinn  Durmus

Mullen

I watched Motherwell yesterday, never mind Alloa. Motherwell were much better on the break and made much better use of space than we did, Add a sublime goal into the mix and we were struggling. Their second goal wasn't brilliant but at least Morias had found a lot of space on the wing. Shame our defense was giving it away instead of moving the ball forward. Any chances we had yesterday were scrappy there's not a enough movement and fluid play to produce many chances.

Your analysis that we play too deep is spot on and when we get the ball we don't break fast enough to create decent chances.

My team against the fakes would be a winning one.

Over to you Goody

Edited by East Lothian Saint

13 minutes ago, East Lothian Saint said:

I watched Motherwell yesterday, never mind Alloa. Motherwell were much better on the break and made much better use of space than we did, Add a sublime goal into the mix and we were struggling. Their second goal wasn't brilliant but at least Morias had found a lot of space on the wing. Shame our defense was giving it away instead of moving the ball forward. Any chances we had yesterday were scrappy there's not a enough movement and fluid play to produce many chances.

Your analysis that we play too deep is spot on and when we get the ball we don't break fast enough to create decent chances.

My team against the fakes would be a winning one.

Over to you Goody

Don't disagree by using Motherwell as an example of what we should be doing as they were excellent at it yesterday. Defence gets a ball from the keeper and their midfield are all moving about giving the defenders options for forward passing. They get numbers up the park quickly with constant movement. All simple things that we are just not doing.

The reason I mentioned Alloa is that if a part-time team in the Championship can do it so successfully they surely we can too.

They have guys like Davidson who are past their sell by date and so slow these days, but they also have guys like May and Kennedy who need to be given no space whatsoever. So here is a suggested team from me   :-

Hladky

Kirky              MacK      McLoughlin          McGinn

MacPherson       Flynn     Foley

Magennis

Mullen             Obika

I'd expect Foley to protect LB (and keep Kennedy quiet)  when McGinn goes up,  and MacPherson and Magennis to be more attacking minded... We should be able to go right through the centre of their defence - its the worst in the league.

At Corners for us  2 of our CB going up - so  3 or 4 big guys in the box along with Mullen to attack any crosses and at least 2 players on the edge picking up scraps and firing shots into their net.

Let's be honest - we have not been great... but  the Fakes have been even worse... No wins for them and 20 goals conceded in 8 matches.

If ever there was a time for us to score goals surely it is in this game - they are the Dundee of the league this year for now - though we might just manage to swap them that honour - but we all hope NOT !   St. Mirren  3   v  1    Fakes            goals by MacPherson, Obika and Magennis      :magic   smiles all round and a win bonus for a change !

A six-pointer this early in the season.....surely not? Sadly, I think it is!
I agree with Sweeper's comments above and his team, except for MacPherson. Would swap him out for either Durmus or Djorkaeff.
And as we're at home, we really must get something from this game!
COYS!!

Agree, put Djorkaeff infor MacPherson.

Seems like I have permission to make the trip for this match, so hopefully see us score. Asking too much for a win ?