vs The Fakes 19 October

FT 2-0

Yas.

Thought we were good second half. Controlled the game, scored one more, should have scored two or three more. Easy and well deserved three points in the end.

Thought Broadfoot was fantastic (again) and Mullen and Obika, a goal each from our two starting strikers, what more you want?

Our home record has actually been good this season. Five games, two wins two draws one defeat, one goal conceded, which was a wonder free kick against Rangers.

We need to improve going forward and on the road, but overall there is clearly progression under Goodwin. We are 9th and that’s about where we should be, higher than we were at any point last season.

Thought the visitors were a disgrace, second half particularly. I’ve seen a lot of St Johnstone teams over the last 20 years but that has to be the worst. I was expecting them to come out all guns blazing second half and really put us under pressure. They didn’t, they didn’t look interested and rolled over, pathetic. Unless there is major changes at that football club they will finish 12th. I hope there isn’t.

Absolutely brilliant to a man today. Started slow but from about 30 minutes in there was only one team in it. 

Great to see the strikers all playing well including Junior off the bench. 

Our captain once again showing his critics writing him off are premature, didn’t put a foot wrong. By my account extending his unbeaten run in SP games he’s featured in to 10. 

Well done saints, feels like a corner turned. 

Edited by bazil85

Totally deserved victory - not a failure on the park. Thought Andreu played well.

Great to have scoring strikers again. As Top Cat said it should be noted that we are no pushovers at home - only one defeat and one goal conceded.

St Johnstone looked dreadful. We surely must finish above them. There are a few teams round about us that are no great shakes - but I'll not be greedy - as long as we reel in Hamilton, as well as stay above the fakes, I'll be happy.

23 minutes ago, Long John Baldy said:

Only seen the 2nd half, we were the better team by miles.

A comfortable victory, easy to say how bad they were but we can only beat who's in front of us and we done that.

Next two weeks are much tougher games but surely we need to take some confidence from today? 

Away to killie next week will take a draw

on the plus side...fakes v hamilton next week

First half felt Goodwin tactics failing us. Both teams looked like they deserved to be bottom of league. Goal was out of nothing but finished well. Second half we dominated them and created a lot of opportunities. Second goal was great move. Will help confidence greatly. Three difficult away games now

At last Goody tried a new formation (4-3-3) and one that does not focus on defending. Took a wee while to gel but once we scored we totally dominated.

Great to see Captain Fantastic back again and showing the leadership that has been missing.

They were the better side for opening half hour and we were struggling to get a foothold in the game but the goal changed everything.

We suddenly had a spring in our step and we’re driving forward. Obika was a handful and Magennis and Foley were excellent. Needless to say we were defensively solid and big Kirky looks like he could play another 10 years at this level.

It’s a good three points and we need to take encouragement from it for the coming matches.

3 or 4-0 wouldn't have flattered us in all honesty. St Johnstone were shockingly bad. I actually thought we took the foot off the pedal a wee bit after the second goal, it was almost too easy and players were trying a wee bit too much when we could have kept it simpler, but you can't complain. A good days work and an important 3 points.

Also, after that, I'm not sure this expected St Johnstone renaissance is coming. They looked like us under Stubbs or Rae.

Totally deserved that today. Slightly shaky 1st half but could possibly be down to the new formation.  2nd half was a stroll in the park and one we could have easily won by a bigger margin. 

Nothing to fear against Killie next week if we can reproduce that 2nd half performance for 90 minutes. 

Sometimes something happens in a game that makes you think the football gods have spoken, and it's not going to be your day, no matter what you do.

The season St Johnstone are having has already got a lot of the hallmarks of a relegation season, as though the football gods have decided that it's happening, no matter what they do.

Never was I more convinced of this than when their two players accidentally tackled each other, and the physio had to come on to treat them.:lol:

Kirk Broadfoot

Special mention to big Kirk today.  I thought he was magnificent in the centre of out defence.  The pass he played to begin the move for the second goal was subllime.  The big lad (and he is a big lad now, mind the twig we first signed?) not only failed to put a foot wrong his creativity was first class.

Take a bow Kirk, take a bow indeed.

19 minutes ago, TediousTom said:

Kirk Broadfoot

Special mention to big Kirk today.  I thought he was magnificent in the centre of out defence.  The pass he played to begin the move for the second goal was subllime.  The big lad (and he is a big lad now, mind the twig we first signed?) not only failed to put a foot wrong his creativity was first class.

Take a bow Kirk, take a bow indeed.

KB was our MoM.

Ridiculous that Obika got the award.

1 hour ago, norman said:

3 or 4-0 wouldn't have flattered us in all honesty. St Johnstone were shockingly bad. I actually thought we took the foot off the pedal a wee bit after the second goal, it was almost too easy and players were trying a wee bit too much when we could have kept it simpler, but you can't complain. A good days work and an important 3 points.

Also, after that, I'm not sure this expected St Johnstone renaissance is coming. They looked like us under Stubbs or Rae.

Yeah I thought we gave away possession too easily in the last 25 minutes and resorted to more high balls than I'd like to see but I can understand that given our lack of confidence in recent matches.

Defensively we were rock solid and really I didn't feel they threatened at all after the early stages.

A fantastic result.

Edited by oaksoft