vs The Fakes 19 October

2 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

🤣🤣

FFS HSS, has LPM stolen your login?

That game could not have been further from fitting the description “victory from the jaws of defeat”. At what point in that match were we even remotely close to the jaws of defeat?

We survived 2 or 3 half decent chances in the first half hour, scored and then totally dominated the rest of the match against an utterly guff team.. We were 2-0 up and cruising with half an hour to go FFS. 🤣

If I'd been given a fiver to bet on any of the 2 teams to win at 29 mins it would have went on an away win.Im sure most people would've been the same.

I'm delighted I would've lost my fiver.

21 hours ago, lenziebud said:

Honestly its total delusion. McGinn being in the team today had heehaw to do with us winning. We were the poorer side in the first half. The second half was different all over the pitch and the goal gave us a massive lift. Obika started to look like what he had been brought to the club for and the confidence in his game started to show. The second goal from Mullen was class but he looked poor in the first half much better in the second. Morais looked more positive too, probably to do with the fact that we were on the front foot against a very poor St J side who lacked fight and passion.

There is no way that dropping Ryan Flynn for McGinn  is the way forward. I wouldn't drop Andreu either for him. Back on the bench Stephen and step in when needed, that's his role this season.

Comical

20 hours ago, FTOF said:

😂

Knows the score

20 hours ago, TopCat said:

You’re spot on bud. When everyone is fit Flynn plays, no doubt.

‘Captain fantastic’ is a decent reserve.

Comical x100

8 hours ago, Sonny said:

Honestly it is total delusion on your part if you believe that McGinn did not contribute to us winning.

Knows the score

7 hours ago, proudtobeabuddy said:

Stephen Mcginn started his first game and strolled it, with more games under his belt he will only improve, Flynn will have to fight his way back in.

Knows the score

6 hours ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Stephen McGinn got man of the match in the Sunday Mail. May I suggest you watch the game and not planes or gulls. 

Knows the score

Much better yesterday - bit of confidence, bit of luck and it all came together.

Obika linked up better as the game went on, Mullen proving his worth yet again and Morias even looked dangerous coming on.

Stephen McGinn and Kirk Broadfoot - the kind of players every team needs. Experienced, played at a high level (and it shows), leaders, passionate. 

For those who are struggling a bit with the concept, when they 2 are fit and on the park - we're a better team.

St Johnstone are a poor, poor team but we looked very comfortable yesterday.

Edited by W6Saint

1 hour ago, HSS said:

If I'd been given a fiver to bet on any of the 2 teams to win at 29 mins it would have went on an away win.Im sure most people would've been the same.

I'm delighted I would've lost my fiver.

My fiver might have gone on the same team, but we absolutely didnae clutch victory from the jaws of defeat. I don’t deny St. Johnstone had the better of the chances in the first half hour. 

Guest TPAFKATS
The two positives to take from yesterday were a precious three points, and the fact that at least one team are currently worse than us.

We could have lost it in the first half if the fakes had their shooting boots on.

We will have to be markedly better against every other team in the league.

Pleased with the points, move to next week.

A clean sheet is also a positive.

Although they had chances before we scored I wouldn't say they were clear cut. I thought their best chance was at 2-0 when May rolled our defender and fluffed his shot from about 10 metres out.

5 hours ago, DLBud said:

The first goal was always going to crucial with two teams understandably low on confidence. We got it and went on to win comfortably. St Johnstone may well play worse than they did in the first half next week and win.

FWIW for all those bizarrely wishing to overlook McGinn’s contribution I suggest going back and watching the 90 mins again. After a quiet opening 30 mins (as with the rest of the team) he played a significant role working the ball through the middle and was always available to take it from the defence. He also didn’t give possession away once.

I liked the balance between him and Foley (who seemed to get further upfield yesterday) and this will give Goodwin a nice selection headache for next week if Flynn is fit.

Its interesting poking the hornets nest of questioning anything on "Captain Fantastic". At no point did I think for a minute or have said in any way that McGinn didn't have a decent game yesterday, he was fine. My issue is that all of a sudden because we beat a poor St J side he is  the answer to why we haven't been picking up results !

He isn't and IMO dropping Flynn to keep him in the team is a mistake but many will disagree I guess. We badly lacked pace in midfield last season, we have a lot more of it this year with Flynn, Foley and Macgennis in there, McGinn is a step backwards

Edited by lenziebud

3 hours ago, W6Saint said:

Much better yesterday - bit of confidence, bit of luck and it all came together.

Obika linked up better as the game went on, Mullen proving his worth yet again and Morias even looked dangerous coming on.

Stephen McGinn and Kirk Broadfoot - the kind of players every team needs. Experienced, played at a high level (and it shows), leaders, passionate. 

For those who are struggling a bit with the concept, when they 2 are fit and on the park - we're a better team.

St Johnstone are a poor, poor team but we looked very comfortable yesterday.

Its the first time they have been on the pitch this season ??

Your second sentence in bold might give you a hint as to why we looked okay yesterday. We are still quite a bit from being comfortable and the next few matches might give us a better idea 

43 minutes ago, lenziebud said:

Its the first time they have been on the pitch this season ??

Your second sentence in bold might give you a hint as to why we looked okay yesterday. We are still quite a bit from being comfortable and the next few matches might give us a better idea 

And we won! Only for the second time this season.

St Johnstone are poor but so are Hamilton and Hearts - we failed to beat both with your superstar midfield

44 minutes ago, W6Saint said:

And we won! Only for the second time this season.

St Johnstone are poor but so are Hamilton and Hearts - we failed to beat both with your superstar midfield

I watched SMFC in the late 70s early 80s and there is nothing about this SMFC side that is superstar in any way !. When you have watched Abercromby, Richardson, Fitzpatrick and Bone you despair at the current standard of player at St Mirren !

14 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

In league positions yes, head to head? Well Hibs beat ùs, and we'll see how we fare against Hearts, and where we sit by the time we play them.

Are we better than Aberdeen? We beat them also.

15 hours ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Carried away ? Seriously? We won a game it could be a wee while before the next one. You be miserable I'm savouring the moment. Half full glass. 

Again 'Miserable' ffs? It does make you look a wee bit silly telling other people what they are feeling. You can be carried away as much as you like, if that pleases you go for it. I am a pragmatist, and realist mostly. I enjoyed our win, and the appearance that the team sort of re-invented themselves.

by leaving Flynn out and pushing Mullen and Andreu further up in a 4-3-3 we scored for the first time in 300 odd minutes at home, and got one win in five. To get anything out of the next three games, all away at Killie, celtic and hearts will be an achievement. If we dont then the reality is we will slip to second bottom again, and have to basically re-start the season..

if we get something in the next three that will give cause for genuine belief we have found a line-up and formations to be effective. Cant see Goody going 4-3-3 against Killie and celtic away, might feel its worth it shit or bust against Hearts to try and get a result.

incidentally, without Flynn, and McAllister we played quicker, more decisive football, second half especially so. Goody will have a dilemma now, especially regarding McAllister if he cant get, and stay fit. The games he's played, he has been mostly carried by others as he just cant play at the pace that bears fruit for his game. Will be interesting to see if he starts in any if the next three if we dont have a need because of injury?

looking forward to your next level headed assessment of how the team played if we lose or win... lol

1 minute ago, munoz said:

Are we better than Aberdeen? We beat them also.

No, one game against a team doesn't tell you that, however after the celtic/hearts game i tbink we will have played everyone, and that should give a better assessment of how we measure up, and indication going firward of how we might fare.

now do i like being above Hibs & Hearts even by the narrowest of margins? Of course i do, if we are above at least one of them after our next three all away l'll be even happier! We will be better than at least one of them.

expecting Livi to drop down amongst us in tbe next few weeks too!

13 hours ago, TPAFKATS said:

A clean sheet is also a positive.

Although they had chances before we scored I wouldn't say they were clear cut. I thought their best chance was at 2-0 when May rolled our defender and fluffed his shot from about 10 metres out.

Kinda agree, i think they should have scored at least two before us with the ease they cut our defence apart and got in the box, but failed to find the right final pass, or bleutered it wide. Who diid that remind you of before Saturday?

its a good result to build on, we know we have barely conceded goals, now at least we seem to have found a way to score them. Thats what wins points!

1 minute ago, Lord Pityme said:

No, one game against a team doesn't tell you that, however after the celtic/hearts game i tbink we will have played everyone, and that should give a better assessment of how we measure up, and indication going firward of how we might fare.

now do i like being above Hibs & Hearts even by the narrowest of margins? Of course i do, if we are above at least one of them after our next three all away l'll be even happier! We will be better than at least one of them.

Fair enough.  

Can also see Ross County possibly being dragged down over the next quarter. 

Of our next 3 games, next week is our best chance of points imo. Killie have been getting results recently but not the performances of last season. A win there would relieve a bit of pressure on the next 2 against Celtic and Hearts where I cant see us taking anything. 

2 minutes ago, munoz said:

Fair enough.  

Can also see Ross County possibly being dragged down over the next quarter. 

Of our next 3 games, next week is our best chance of points imo. Killie have been getting results recently but not the performances of last season. A win there would relieve a bit of pressure on the next 2 against Celtic and Hearts where I cant see us taking anything. 

I think hearts are our best shout for a result given their topsy/turvy form and injuries. But if we started with a result at Killie then it would be a feckin great boost to push celtic and hearts all the way.

first things first though...! We start the killie game drawing, lets keep it that way.

1 hour ago, Lord Pityme said:

Again 'Miserable' ffs? It does make you look a wee bit silly telling other people what they are feeling. You can be carried away as much as you like, if that pleases you go for it. I am a pragmatist, and realist mostly. I enjoyed our win, and the appearance that the team sort of re-invented themselves.

by leaving Flynn out and pushing Mullen and Andreu further up in a 4-3-3 we scored for the first time in 300 odd minutes at home, and got one win in five. To get anything out of the next three games, all away at Killie, celtic and hearts will be an achievement. If we dont then the reality is we will slip to second bottom again, and have to basically re-start the season..

if we get something in the next three that will give cause for genuine belief we have found a line-up and formations to be effective. Cant see Goody going 4-3-3 against Killie and celtic away, might feel its worth it shit or bust against Hearts to try and get a result.

incidentally, without Flynn, and McAllister we played quicker, more decisive football, second half especially so. Goody will have a dilemma now, especially regarding McAllister if he cant get, and stay fit. The games he's played, he has been mostly carried by others as he just cant play at the pace that bears fruit for his game. Will be interesting to see if he starts in any if the next three if we dont have a need because of injury?

looking forward to your next level headed assessment of how the team played if we lose or win... lol

We started out playing 4 3 3 after 30min Goodwin changed the system with two midfielders sitting more deep. That tactical move changed the game in our favour.  

3 hours ago, Lord Pityme said:

In league positions yes, head to head? Well Hibs beat ùs, and we'll see how we fare against Hearts, and where we sit by the time we play them.

3 hours ago, Lord Pityme said:

You do know we’ve already played Hearts this season don’t you?

Please pay attention. 

Surprised no one has mentioned the tactical change Goodwin made during the first half. St Johnstone starting with the 4-2-3-1 formation, a few times we were left without cover for their attacking mid. Moving Foley & S. McGinn into holding roles allowed Magennis and Andreau to find a lot more space going forward. Thought Stephen McGinn was excellent

Edited by Doakes