St Mirren 1990

Kemp

I saw it put forward on the other thread that Victor is the greatest player to ever play for St Mirren, although he didn't play particularly well for us.

How did St Mirren manage to be so bad between 1990 and 1992? We finished bottom in 90/91 and 2nd bottom and were relegated in 91/92.

During this time we had Victor, Steve Archibald, Stickroth, Torfarson, Roy Aitken and a young Paul Lambert in the team.

I can recall us going on something like a 10 game run without a goal. A run we seem determined to challenge this season. However that team wasn't made up of Northampton Town cast offs, we were signing players from FC Barcelona!

How exactly did we end up being so bad with so much quality in the team?

Think possibly at that time we had quality experienced players that for some reason or another either didn't play well together or they just under performed. Might have been tactics or just that they didn't suit our style of play.

If I remember correctly from the late 80's to early 90's out top scorers only scored round about 11 goals a season

7 minutes ago, chalky1 said:

Think possibly at that time we had quality experienced players that for some reason or another either didn't play well together or they just under performed. Might have been tactics or just that they didn't suit our style of play.

If I remember correctly from the late 80's to early 90's out top scorers only scored round about 11 goals a season

Tactics certainly part of it as we had obviously poor managers but you would think if, for example, David Silva came up to play for us next season he would bring enough to make sure we at least avoid relegation!

Ah, 90/91 - IIRC Fitzy was so happy with the squad he said he'd resign if we didn't qualify for Europe :lol:. It was also the season Hearts  Chairman Wallace Mercer tried to buy Hibs who were in financial trouble and looking to be certainties for relegation and possible liquidation. Relegation was suspended around the turn of the year specifically to save Hibs who looked certainties for relegation - we then downed tools went on a run of 17 league games (13 defeats + 4 draws) and managed to snatch bottom place from Hibs (Munoz was one of the few players who looked like he was trying during this period), towards the end of this run with us having missed out on European qualification Fitzy resigned to be replaced by Davie Hay :death! I'm actually quite proud we managed to finish bottom that season - fuck the SFA:lol:

Interesting record from that season is that our joint top scorers were Kinnaird, McDowall & Torfason (injured for most of the season) with 5 goals - will any of our players match or do better this season? 

91/92 - Davie Hay :death didn't give a a fuck, we weren't just relegated but relegated by a margin - grrrrrrrrrr! B) We also signed my all time worst ever Saints player Chic Charnley :death for a hefty fee!

Trivia alert - Roy Aitken was the last contemporaneous Saints player to get a full Scotland cap.

Edited by Bud the Baker

1 minute ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

I would say on paper 1990 should have been successful but it was the opposite. Today's team has fight it just needs the right format. There needs to be some changes in the team. At least that is my hope. 

I would like us to try a different formation, possible 4 2 3 1. Foley & McGinn as the holding players, push Flynn into the No 10 role

21 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

Ah, 90/91 - IIRC Fitzy was so happy with the squad he said he'd resign if we didn't qualify for Europe :lol:. It was also the season Hearts  Chairman Wallace Mercer tried to buy Hibs who were in financial trouble and looking to be certainties for relegation and possible liquidation. Relegation was suspended around the turn of the year specifically to save Hibs who looked certainties for relegation - we then downed tools went on a run of 17 league games (13 defeats + 4 draws) and managed to snatch bottom place from Hibs (Munoz was one of the few players who looked like he was trying during this period), towards the end of this run with us having missed out on European qualification Fitzy resigned to be replaced by Davie Hay! :death  I'm actually quite proud we managed to finish bottom that season - f**k the SFA:lol:

Interesting record from that season is that our joint top scorers were Kinnaird, McDowall & Torfason (injured for most of the season) with 5 goals - will any of our players match or do better this season? 

91/92 - Davie Hay :death didn't give a a fuck, we weren't just relegated but relegated by a margin - grrrrrrrrrr! B)

Roy Aitken was the last contemporaneous Saints player to get a full Scotland cap.

Thanks for filling in some gaps in my memory. I did recall some change in rules for relegation to be suspended.

Classic Fitzy quote there. Must be frustrating for him to see the relative success his Saints team had when was playing never repeated again. Certainly a better player than manager.