Rise in street begging ?

Seaside Nipper

On 10/17/2019 at 12:54 PM, Ayrshire Saints said:

That bit I can agree with - no need to shout it from the rooftops but that wasn't your initial point I was responding to.  You were questioning the motivation for people being charitable in the first place which is a totally different thing and there was not really a lack of clarity in your initial response, it was crystal clear unless what you are saying now is that some people give merely so they can trumpet that act (which is fair bit removed from how you put it initially ! )

Actually my first point of contention was ticking TPAK thingy off for dressing completely useless virtue signalling up as some moral crusade. That ties nicely into my second point about the infestation of do-gooders in general subsequently trying to "cash in" their charitable acts (whether just virtue signalling or actually helpful) into "facebook likes".

I then ended with my point that people engaging in charity should try and give ACTUAL help rather than making an easy gesture if they are that interested in genuinely helping and they should keep their mouths shut instead of telling us all how virtuous they are.

That's a perfectly reasonable stance and a perfectly reasonable thing to talk about. I have no idea why you have a different view but that's up to you.

I'm always a bit torn on this. On the one hand, there are people who legitimately just find themselves in a shit situation, need a few quid for essentials so begging makes sense for them as they don't have any other option.

On the flip side, there are very organised gangs operating locally, who use these vulnerable people to make a quick buck.

What homeless people really need is to find a way of taking responsibility, and doing everything they can to get out of that situation using the help that is available. I do think we should be doing more as a society to help the homeless. Any single one of us could be a few bad decisions (or some rotten luck) away from living on the streets