Kilmarnock v St Mirren 26/10

munoz

15 minutes ago, Long John Baldy said:

When was the last time you saw a referee in Scotland?

Seeing a few highlights hardly makes you an expert, or does it? 

I watched an English game earlier today, Man City game, and he was the usual, a few mistakes as everybody's human. 

I do have that thing called television which allows me to watch games live when I choose to.

I have no problem with mistakes being made here and there. As you say, they, like us are only human. I advocate the use of both goal line technology and VAR to help these guys out and make their job easier. But for the very nice pay check they receive (as I’ve said above some struggle to make that in a month) I don’t think it’s wrong to demand a better standard.

Edited by Cornwall_Saint

18 minutes ago, Long John Baldy said:

When was the last time you saw a referee in Scotland?

Seeing a few highlights hardly makes you an expert, or does it? 

I watched an English game earlier today, Man City game, and he was the usual, a few mistakes as everybody's human. 

I've seen plenty and can confirm that the referees we've had so far have been poor.

Anyone who has watched our games this season can see that.

Although, our players are giving them a run for their money in the "poor performance" stakes.

Also, you can actually watch entire matches on our website if you wish.😉

Edited by FTOF

22 minutes ago, Long John Baldy said:

I would suggest watching a game at at a ground gives you a better picture of the whole game, including the referees performance. 

I agree on the use of technology, while it's still in it's early stages I prefer the correct decision that takes a small amount of time than an error that costs a club a trophy, points and money.

The fee a referee gets is reflected in the important role they have in a game, not comparable to what anybody else makes, whatever that means, in a month. 

I won’t disagree with the first comment there. I was a season ticket holder before I moved down south and travelled home and away to watch Saints (excluding the two bigotdomes) and yes, you do see more. You can still see plenty on the tv too though, perhaps not as much, but certainly more often than not, enough to make a decision.

In full agreement on your second comment.

The fee paid is still a massive pay check for a small amount of work.

So frustrating but so St.Mirren, one switch off moment and we get punished, why does it always seem we do not get these moments go for us?

I still believe we are not brave enough and we need to start letting the opposition worry about our strengths rather than playing football to a manual. A classic example today was Kyle seemed to spend his whole game thinking about their left back rather than vice versa. As I have said before we have probably the best goalkeeper in our history playing for us, at the minute, so surely we should be taking advantage of this and be far more attacking and take risks.  Also big Kirkie and  McLoughlin are cruising games at the minute, so let's start getting the midfield more forward thinking, and rely on them keeping the opposition at bay when needed. 

I  have my own thoughts on our forward players but do not think they can be properly judged until we see them get some proper support and stop living off of scraps and breakaways that they currently have to deal with. Our defensive goals column is very commendable but to have only scored 5 goals in 10 games is abysmal.

As this is the match thread, we, to a man, ran about and gave our all but never really looked like scoring. Sound familiar?

Edited by party politics

13 hours ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

Unfortunately you are right.

Crap referees are part of the Scottish game and are to be expected. There will be the days where one massive decision screws us over (even more so against the bigots) but the refs are generally crap most weeks anyway and can’t be blamed for our major lack of goals.

We continue to do well at the back and haven’t leaked too many goals (albeit we’ll see how that fares after Wednesday) but the lack of anything at the other end is the reason we are near the bottom instead of fighting in the top 6.

Met a happy Arbroath fan in The Laurieston last night we got talking about refs. Like me he said he cant remember a period of such poor quality refs in the Scottish game like me he has watched football for the best part of 50 years. 

Other than the Motherwell game, all our games this season have been defined by the smallest of margins.

We could easily be sitting up in 3rd instead of Killie, if we had the same mentality and momentum that they have created.

Jim needs to work hard on the training ground with our set pieces, defensively, but more importantly attacking.

7 or 8 goals from set plays in a season would take us out of the relegation picture.

Another game lost by a slim margin. And we had chances! After Obika's fine overhead kick and a great team goal last week, we're back to fluffing and sclaffing shots at goal. BBC stats tell the story...…..9 shots on goal, but only three on target. As usual, defence was fine in open play but got caught out by a set piece. Killie weren't great. Neat play up to the 18 yard box but then struggled and attacks petered out. 

As long as we fail to put away our opportunities we will fall prey to losing games by a single goal. Killie were not really any better than us yesterday, but look at the difference in our league positions. Looking at the game as a whole, it would not have been unfair if we had won it by one or two goals.

Quick word for our supporters. Someone above says we took over a thousand to the game. It certainly looked like that from where I was sitting. Fantastic turnout given the poor run we've had. Well done to everyone who travelled!

On to Celtic Park. Let's just hope they're concentrating on their European adventure!

COYS!!

Seems Goody is going to have to change his mantra of a fixed backline and let the left/right backs alternatively push up and start stretching the opposition. Even P McGinn is making a lot less of those runs to the bye line that characterised his play last season.
It needs mixing up a bit more. You can see how little there is between most teams on the pitch, but we continually succumb to them.

Other than the goal, the defence was solid and reassuring despite getting little relief from the forwards who were unable to subject Killie to any periods of sustained pressure.

Mullen was the only forward who troubled the Killie defence,  Obika had poor ball control and no physical presence.

Morias should just have stayed on the sidelines doing his stretchy exercises for all the impact he made when brought on - he was hugely disappointing.

Kyle Magennis was uncharacteristically, frustratingly feckless.

biggest disappointment, apart from the result, was they had no Killie (or any other) pies for sale at HT.

a bleak, dreich, cold day oot.

Edited by antrin

37 minutes ago, doonhamer said:

Interesting that Jim Goodwin thought Gollum had a good game.

It's a low bar but Collum didn't do anything that changed the course of the game yesterday.

JG has yet to get the balance right, there was an article in The Scotsman last week which suggested it was down to us doing our summer business too late (but that can't be right :whistle) - we're about where I expected us to be and I'd always settle for 10th place in the current set-up.

1 hour ago, Bud the Baker said:

It's a low bar but Collum didn't do anything that changed the course of the game yesterday.

JG has yet to get the balance right, there was an article in The Scotsman last week which suggested it was down to us doing our summer business too late (but that can't be right :whistle) - we're about where I expected us to be and I'd always settle for 10th place in the current set-up.

The facts speak for themselves scoring is a big problem. We will have a fight on our hands to stay in the premiership unless we get someone who is proven in January. 

2 hours ago, Bud the Baker said:

Exactly!

now dont go suggesting we recruited in panic to get eleven on the park at Easter Road!!! That was just coincidence fitting in with the end of Gus's recruitment strategy.

i think every lower league, low return rate forward in europe and beyond knows they will always get a gig in Paisley if they hang on a bit longer.

It wasn't a steward it was a suited manager. He was quickly told, don't talk crap. Been happening to our club for years.
The club should always overestimate the predicted away support. That way there would be more turnstiles open, catering, etc.
Over 1,000 there is a great effort today.

Had us queuing for tickets ‘ there was still someone working in the turnstiles.

On 10/26/2019 at 10:27 PM, Cornwall_Saint said:

Touched a nerve have I?

Are you saying the refereeing standard in Scotland is currently acceptable?

I’m not saying I would do a very good job of it. However, considering their “part time wage” of £800 a match (the going rate in 2010 so it may be more now) I do expect a better standard that what we currently see. Some of those on the low end of the pay scale struggle to make £800 in a month, yet a referee can make that in 90 mins with a sub-standard, sometimes woeful performance.

You haven't touched any nerve, for all the time I have been watching football this has been said.

I remember Jack Mowat standing at a referee's conference in the late 80s showing his press cutting from the 50s, 60s and 70s all saying the same thing about how the standard of refereeing had slipped etc etc

It will never change, especially when the vast majority of football fans haven't a clue about refereeing football, never mind the laws of the game.

Edited by lenziebud

Extremely fine margins in this league.  On Saturday we were a match for the team that has been consistently 3rd over the last year , but missed our golden chance and then went to sleep at a corner.  These 2 incidents could have easily gone the other way , and we would be sitting here talking about the victory. 

1 minute ago, Long John Baldy said:

Same for all the other teams, look at Hibs, drawn the last 4, we can't keep rolling out the hard luck stories, referees, bad luck, only looking at the one instant we lose a goal, there's plenty other chances other teams miss, as much as, or more than, us. 

No hard luck stories from me, just pointing out how marginal it is between success and failure. Killie now have more than double our points tally but this was not evident from the football played on Saturday. 

We need to start turning these narrow away defeats into wins and draws, which is definitely not beyond us. If we were getting overrun in every game then I'd be worried,  but we're not. 

Overrun by Aberdeen- nope , they passed it sideways for 90mins. 

Overrun by Rangers- nope , they needed a wonder free kick to get the win and couldn't play through us.

Overrun by Motherwell- nope , they were the better team , but we still managed to create a good few chances.