Kilmarnock v St Mirren 26/10

munoz

We were "overrun" against Aberdeen, sneaked 3 points that day, overrun against Rangers, overrun against Motherwell....................that's 3 off the top of my head. 
Losing to Hibs, at that point looked a decent point, not so great looking back now, drawing with Hearts, another team on horrible form, losing to Livingston, drawing with Hamilton, no real point trying to over think it, we are where we are.
The bonus is there's not a lot points between 5 teams, it could come down to the odd surprise result, like the Aberdeen game, that could be the difference come the end of the season. 
We aren't suffering from a run of bad luck, we Re lucky we are still in touch.
If we had bad luck that would mean a string of penalties awarded/not awarded for or against, multiple hits of woodwork, wrong red cards etc.. etc...
Oh and more possession, shots on target etc than our winning opponents. We are simply one of the poorest in a group of poor teams who cant find any run of form or consistency.
Always thought against killie, Celtic and Hearts that tynecastle was the only place we could nick something.

On 10/27/2019 at 1:15 AM, party politics said:

So frustrating but so St.Mirren, one switch off moment and we get punished, why does it always seem we do not get these moments go for us?

I still believe we are not brave enough and we need to start letting the opposition worry about our strengths rather than playing football to a manual. A classic example today was Kyle seemed to spend his whole game thinking about their left back rather than vice versa. As I have said before we have probably the best goalkeeper in our history playing for us, at the minute, so surely we should be taking advantage of this and be far more attacking and take risks.  Also big Kirkie and  McLoughlin are cruising games at the minute, so let's start getting the midfield more forward thinking, and rely on them keeping the opposition at bay when needed. 

I  have my own thoughts on our forward players but do not think they can be properly judged until we see them get some proper support and stop living off of scraps and breakaways that they currently have to deal with. Our defensive goals column is very commendable but to have only scored 5 goals in 10 games is abysmal.

As this is the match thread, we, to a man, ran about and gave our all but never really looked like scoring. Sound familiar?

We had better chances than Killie by far - we just did not take them :-

1. Mullen brings the ball down, waltzes past Bruce, its like a penalty kick and he hits it straight at their keeper.

2. Mullen has a header which is going in at their keepers right hand post, the keeper makes a great save or it would have gone in.

3. Mullen free header 6 yards out, again straight at the keeper.

4. Andreu clean through on goal, and sclaffs his shot wide - and he is someone who had a goal scoring ability over the years.

I make that 4 decent chances, any one of which could have ben a goal - small margins - Killie's one decent chance was a header as Foley lost his marker and we did not have anyone on the post...

13 hours ago, munoz said:

Extremely fine margins in this league.  On Saturday we were a match for the team that has been consistently 3rd over the last year , but missed our golden chance and then went to sleep at a corner.  These 2 incidents could have easily gone the other way , and we would be sitting here talking about the victory. 

I can't help wondering if Killie have 'almost double' our points tally* because as the second lowest scorers in the league they have scored 'almost double' the amount of goals that we have while conceding less goals than we've conceded.

* 17 points is more than double our 8 points.

Other low scorers in the league (Hamilton Accies, Hearts, Hibs, St Johnstone) have scored 10 goals to our 5 as well. We've lost the most games in the league this season (6) while Goodwin has set out to make us, er, hard to beat.

7 hours ago, Sweeper07 said:

We had better chances than Killie by far - we just did not take them :-

1. Mullen brings the ball down, waltzes past Bruce, its like a penalty kick and he hits it straight at their keeper.

2. Mullen has a header which is going in at their keepers right hand post, the keeper makes a great save or it would have gone in.

3. Mullen free header 6 yards out, again straight at the keeper.

4. Andreu clean through on goal, and sclaffs his shot wide - and he is someone who had a goal scoring ability over the years.

I make that 4 decent chances, any one of which could have ben a goal - small margins - Killie's one decent chance was a header as Foley lost his marker and we did not have anyone on the post...

Makes you wonder why Thommo said he thought a nil - nil draw might have been a fair result when we had 'the better chances by far'... from memory Killie had about 3 defenders getting back for the Andreu chance and I can't remember us flooding the box with players in support. 

Mullen gets no decisions from referees as he is perceived to always go down at the merest hint of contact. I'm sure Killie had a few chances which would have gone in at the other end if only Hladky hadn't saved them.

13 hours ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

Makes you wonder why Thommo said he thought a nil - nil draw might have been a fair result when we had 'the better chances by far'... from memory Killie had about 3 defenders getting back for the Andreu chance and I can't remember us flooding the box with players in support. 

Mullen gets no decisions from referees as he is perceived to always go down at the merest hint of contact. I'm sure Killie had a few chances which would have gone in at the other end if only Hladky hadn't saved them.

You were not at the game obviously and even from the highlights, which you could watch on bbc website,  Hladky had a very quiet game - He saved one shot from distance which went straight into his chest.

Thommo said 0 v 0 based on the fact that St. Mirren did not take any of their chances and because 0 is our most common goals for tally, as he said. Killie had more possession, St. Mirren had 9 shots (including another by Andreu just past the post, and Foley just over the crossbar) to Killie's 5 (their only other on target was El Makrini's very tame effort which trickled to Hladky's feet) , and we had 1 more corner than them. There was not much between the sides, but they took a chance and we did not...someone on the post would have prevented their only proper chance...

Andreu had time and space to pick his spot, defenders were advancing but he had time - he just mis hit it, which is unlike him. The first rule of a striker is hit the target, in this instance he did not manage that.

Mullen actually was one of our best players against Killie, and he is a smaller player who gets barged by bigger defenders often. He did not go down much on Saturday, other than when muscled over... Tell me the names of strikers that don't try to go down when barged or want to win free kicks?     😎

On 10/29/2019 at 11:57 AM, Sweeper07 said:

You were not at the game obviously and even from the highlights, which you could watch on bbc website,  Hladky had a very quiet game - He saved one shot from distance which went straight into his chest.

Thommo said 0 v 0 based on the fact that St. Mirren did not take any of their chances and because 0 is our most common goals for tally, as he said. Killie had more possession, St. Mirren had 9 shots (including another by Andreu just past the post, and Foley just over the crossbar) to Killie's 5 (their only other on target was El Makrini's very tame effort which trickled to Hladky's feet) , and we had 1 more corner than them. There was not much between the sides, but they took a chance and we did not...someone on the post would have prevented their only proper chance...

Andreu had time and space to pick his spot, defenders were advancing but he had time - he just mis hit it, which is unlike him. The first rule of a striker is hit the target, in this instance he did not manage that.

Mullen actually was one of our best players against Killie, and he is a smaller player who gets barged by bigger defenders often. He did not go down much on Saturday, other than when muscled over... Tell me the names of strikers that don't try to go down when barged or want to win free kicks?     😎

Perhaps you could name some of the stunning saves pulled off by Killie's keeper then?

If only some points could be gained from shots being in the close vicinity of the post or crossbar eh?

15 hours ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

Perhaps you could name some of the stunning saves pulled off by Killie's keeper then?

If only some points could be gained from shots being in the close vicinity of the post or crossbar eh?

I already did - Mullen's header was going in at the right hand post and their keeper made a marvellous save...

He also made decent saves from all the other on target efforts we made - just that most of them were straight at him... you think we will always aim our efforts straight at opposition goalies or shoot wide?

We had more efforts on target than Kille - :guinness

Edited by Sweeper07

8 hours ago, antrin said:

As a final note on this match...

I loved the quality of the Kellie left back, number 14.

saw somewhere that he was Finnish/American.  On loan, I think.

quality play throughout, in defence and as an attacker.

Hmmm.

Killie...   not Kellie.