Jump to content

Long John Baldy

Hearts against St MIrren 9/11/19

Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

We finished 1 point  behind Hamilton whose goal difference was 15 goals worse than ours. That's how close we came to staying up without the play-offs.

Ha ha. 

You're struggling here, it's been fun. 

Harping back to other managers, what if's etc is deflecting, unsuccessfully, away from the mess we are in.

Who's to blame, well certainly not Stubbs. 

Edited by Long John Baldy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dont agree. Accies and, to a lesser extent, County look to have poor squads this season. Of the Accies team, who would you take for us? I could only think of Mikel Miller and Lewis Smith, and even then both of them are incredibly inconsistent. Accies are a mid table championship standard squad. Our team is seriously underperforming just now, but if we finish behind Accies I'd be amazed.
Agree to a point. The difference between Accies County etc is the management of players and club is much better than ours!
They all pull in one direction, whereas our board incl Gus sacked the best manager since Ross, who is now topping the table with his club.
Five managers this board have been through, and unless there is a dramatic turn of events it will likely be six by January.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
After the second phase of matches our wee mini league will become clearer. It's very tight just now , but we have home matches against Livvy , Hibs and Ross County coming up and it's how we perform in these that will define our season .

I totally agree home form is crucial to future success and to be fair we have done alright in that department. However a look at the table shows everyone above us picking up points away from home here and there and not a huge difference in home results. Seven straight defeats away is relegation form. We need at least some draws away from Paisley to reinforce a good home record in order to survive

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, elvis said:

The future holds automatic relegation this season. 

It might do. So what if it does? It's a bummer if it happens but by no means the end of the world.

I've seen us being relegated enough times down the years and promoted enough times down the years and we've always rallied round one way or another.

The level of angst, anger and knicker pishing you consistently exhibit on here is f**king hilarious.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No, BOK you take a good look at yourself and try not to be such a f**king drama queen.

You hope to have people lose jobs?  You hope the club will exploit loopholes to save face?
take a good look at yourself 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

It might do. So what if it does? It's a bummer if it happens but by no means the end of the world.

I've seen us being relegated enough times down the years and promoted enough times down the years and we've always rallied round one way or another.

The level of angst, anger and knicker pishing you consistently exhibit on here is f**king hilarious.

Yeah, this character, elvis, seems to revel in his ability to predict we'll lose which almost every season he'll be right, as brainless as his approach is.

On the other hand I would suggest your glib approach to us going down is not matched by the majority of our support.

For the club to be "successful" we need to be in the top division.

This will give us access to more cash, increase our ability to sign decent players and give the support, excluding elvis, something to look forward to every week. 

Also the more games we have against the better teams could see us to increase our fan base, pull in youngsters who want to see us playing the big sides.

Yeah, not the end of the world but nothing that the majority would look forward to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Hendo said:

Dont agree. Accies and, to a lesser extent, County look to have poor squads this season. Of the Accies team, who would you take for us? I could only think of Mikel Miller and Lewis Smith, and even then both of them are incredibly inconsistent. Accies are a mid table championship standard squad. Our team is seriously underperforming just now, but if we finish behind Accies I'd be amazed.

But they have players who will fight for every point

Same as Livi

Nothing to do with better players ability wise

It's players with better attitude and how they apply themselves matchday

The riot act better be read out regarding the second half where the first time i thought we chucked it

Got to be changes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I waited till to day to comment on the game. Our defending was awful yesterday and we deserved what we got but i'm not going to get carried away. we have shown we can defend in previous games and yesterday we actually scored twice so i'll wait to see if that was an off day for the defence. We should not press the panic button just yet and the home games coming could put us in a healthier position. I think that Jim will bring in a player or 2 in January, a striker and maybe an attacking midfielder because it's obvious that our lack of goals is a problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Long John Baldy said:

Who's to blame, well certainly not Stubbs. 

I would lie the blame at the hands of Gordon Scott. We could have easily gone into the summer with a manager ready placed to keep improving the squad. Some disagree on Kearney’s success last season but for a long time we thought we were goners, and staying up, regardless of the fact it was on penalties, was an expectation we never thought would happen after Stubbsfest. 

Kearney also proved in his time at Coleraine that over the years he can progress and build a team - they went from doing nothing to competing for trophies, ended up 2nd in the league IIRC and came out as N.Irish Cup winners. Danny Lennon’s first season with us was piss poor and we were saved by a woeful Accies side, but again, with time on his side he’d go on to be the most successful manager we’ve had since the 80s. Kearney has a track record of similar progress and should have been given a chance to keep on going.

Scott also created the position of Technical Director to avoid the situation we had last summer. How did that work out this summer? We barely recruited before the League Cup, and that led us to a highly embarrassing exit in what should have been easy progress. Knowing the unlikelihood of winning the league, there are two cups we should be always aiming for success in, and we completely f**ked that up. We convinced ourselves the new signings would be worth the wait and the cup embarrassment. Instead it looks like yet again we will be cut adrift, lucky to make the playoff never mind survive.

As far as I’m concerned, Gordon Scott is the fault behind this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, proudtobeabuddy said:

I waited till to day to comment on the game. Our defending was awful yesterday and we deserved what we got but i'm not going to get carried away. we have shown we can defend in previous games and yesterday we actually scored twice so i'll wait to see if that was an off day for the defence. We should not press the panic button just yet and the home games coming could put us in a healthier position. I think that Jim will bring in a player or 2 in January, a striker and maybe an attacking midfielder because it's obvious that our lack of goals is a problem.

Agree with this. Doesn't help that the two Kyle's- our two most talented players- have made no contribution this season due to either injury or lost form. We need our creative players to be on  top form. Jim has a massive job on his hands to turn this season round and change our mentality. We compete and generally run teams close but we never genuinely look like we believe we can win a game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Agree with this. Doesn't help that the two Kyle's- our two most talented players- have made no contribution this season due to either injury or lost form. We need our creative players to be on  top form. Jim has a massive job on his hands to turn this season round and change our mentality. We compete and generally run teams close but we never genuinely look like we believe we can win a game.
But Baz says McAllister is fully fit. Lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Long John Baldy said:

Yeah, this character, elvis, seems to revel in his ability to predict we'll lose which almost every season he'll be right, as brainless as his approach is.

On the other hand I would suggest your glib approach to us going down is not matched by the majority of our support.

For the club to be "successful" we need to be in the top division.

This will give us access to more cash, increase our ability to sign decent players and give the support, excluding elvis, something to look forward to every week. 

Also the more games we have against the better teams could see us to increase our fan base, pull in youngsters who want to see us playing the big sides.

Yeah, not the end of the world but nothing that the majority would look forward to.

Which was exactly my point, regardless of how 'glib' you think it was.

I always look forward to seeing a St. Mirren team who is playing well regardless of the division we are in. The weeks, months and sometimes years on end where we are shite? It doesn't deter me as it comes with the territory of supporting this mental club. I don't enjoy it in the slightest, nor would I say I'm dismissive of the bad times when they do happen but I definitely can't get myself to level where I am almost hoping for the worst case scenario so I can say 'told you so' and lash out at everyone involved with the club. This Elvis character seems to thrive on absolute angst though....nowhere to be seen when things go right but first to cast stones when things are pish.

If that was my standpoint I'd just stop supporting the club. Why have something in your life that gives you so much constant stress and negativity?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
You hope to have people lose jobs?  You hope the club will exploit loopholes to save face?
take a good look at yourself 
No, BOK you take a good look at yourself and try not to be such a f**king drama queen.
case rested
Quality comeback. You are quite the master debater

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The build up yesterday from Hearts and there manager was very positive it was all about scoring early and really pressing the game. I think whilst we responded well it ultimately ended with a poor performance. We now need to take a leaf out of hearts book and prepare as they did for our game v Ross County. Can we come flying out the traps and get at them and really stamp out authority on a game we need to win. Or do we continue to be cautious? 
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, magnus said:

Agree with this. Doesn't help that the two Kyle's- our two most talented players- have made no contribution this season due to either injury or lost form. We need our creative players to be on  top form. Jim has a massive job on his hands to turn this season round and change our mentality. We compete and generally run teams close but we never genuinely look like we believe we can win a game.

Only one Kyle is good enough

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/9/2019 at 10:10 PM, Dibbles old paperboy said:

Please show me where anyone at all claimed Kearney was the messiah!

At the end of the day Kearney inherited perhaps the worst squad put together in the premiership that I can remember and he had to hold tight for nearly 4 months of the season before he could make serious changes. He got enough of his recruitment spot on to turn things around after the new signings had a settling in period. We also came within a whisker of staying up automatically - anyone would have accepted that outcome when he took over and most were happy enough that he kept us up via the play offs. 

The week pre-season began Gordon Scott fired Kearney and appointed Jim Goodwin. All Kearney's targets were binned and Goodwin had to start trying to sign players after our rivals had in some cases already landed many of their top targets. That's completely on Gordon Scott's head rather than Kearney, Goodwin or Gus MacPherson.

Going to have to disagree. He didn't even inherit the worst squad in the league that season... unless you're meaning St Mirren squads, which in that case you're also wrong - lucky if it's even in the top (or should that be bottom) 10!

Nice guy, plenty of charm with good man management skills. Poor-to-average tactician. He's at his level.

The problem is not Oran Kearney leaving - it's a question of why either Jim or Gus (or both) recruited poorly. And why Jim's tactics and subs look very reminiscent of DL in his first season.
 

DL was saved by Michael Higdon that year, Goodwin has Obika. 

Time will tell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/9/2019 at 10:17 PM, Desperately Seeking Susans said:

I thought Goodwin made the right substitutions in replacing McGinn, Broadfoot and Andreu all of whom made little impact or played to a reasonable standard.  Clearly we lacked a domineering figure in defence today which Gary Mac provides and I'd like to think he'll be in the starting eleven in the next game.  There is still a lack of basic skills with too many players in giving the ball away when under no pressure; failing to hit the target (over the bar) from a free kick just outside the box which happens with every free kick; a lack of fitness...I better stop here!

I know we are all a bit fickle in defeats and the frustration oozes out in the form of criticism but it's reaching the stage of frustration with frustration!  My perennial optimism has come to an end.  I really do fear the worst.

Didn't you notice how easily he was turned for their 5 th goal?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/11/2019 at 10:23 AM, Desperately Seeking Susans said:

What?? Are you being negative about a St Mirren player?:o

I don't rate Waters at all - big Gary is cool and calm but not the quickest - if our players were the best, they would still be imperfect. 

I was simply pointing out that you had him as some rock solid CB and he was very poor for Hearts 5th  Goal... it might be negative, but it is honest and surely that's okay?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sweeper07 said:

I don't rate Waters at all - big Gary is cool and calm but not the quickest - if our players were the best, they would still be imperfect. 

I was simply pointing out that you had him as some rock solid CB and he was very poor for Hearts 5th  Goal... it might be negative, but it is honest and surely that's okay?

I sincerely hope we are not debating an oppositions 5th goal again, unless we win 6-5 every week

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...