Jump to content

freethinker

Jim Goodwin Out, Jack Ross Ross In

Recommended Posts

I've saw this same statement posted on various Saints social media platforms last week or so "The fact we are disappointed not to beat Hibs or Aberdeen shows how far we have come".

No it doesn't, imo it shows that we were playing the 2 worst Hibs and Aberdeen teams in years and still couldn't beat them.

Hibs were absolutely dreadful first 12 games or so they only won one game and only kept one clean sheet both against us pretty sure we are still the only team Hibs have beat twice.

Aberdeen are dreadful too having missed the opportunity to beat them away thanks to Andreu and Obika we had chance of redemption last week but thanks to Obika again it was 1 point instead of 3.

We had our biggest game of the season last night and Goodwin absolutely Gus Mcpherson'd it with the most boring negative tactics going.

Pre match he was glowing about 6 strikers at the club plays 1 doesn't work so with 4 on the bench brings a defensive midfielder on.

The guy does not have a clue what his best team or formation is.

One of the qualities of a group of saints fans is they practically always jump the gun and set themselves up for failure. Seen it with JR, OK and evident with this thread ,Goody. Just nature of things I suppose.
My personal view, frustrating last night for sure but we have a team that are now very difficult to beat and a couple of new forward options that we haven't really seen. Hopefully that clicks but at the very least give it time to click. I was also frustrated at not beating Hibs and Aberdeen, two of the biggest and most expensively assembled teams in the country. IMO that shows how far this team has come along in the 18 months since we first played back in this league.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

I've saw this same statement posted on various Saints social media platforms last week or so "The fact we are disappointed not to beat Hibs or Aberdeen shows how far we have come".

No it doesn't, imo it shows that we were playing the 2 worst Hibs and Aberdeen teams in years and still couldn't beat them.

Hibs were absolutely dreadful first 12 games or so they only won one game and only kept one clean sheet both against us pretty sure we are still the only team Hibs have beat twice.

Aberdeen are dreadful too having missed the opportunity to beat them away thanks to Andreu and Obika we had chance of redemption last week but thanks to Obika again it was 1 point instead of 3.

We had our biggest game of the season last night and Goodwin absolutely Gus Mcpherson'd it with the most boring negative tactics going.

Pre match he was glowing about 6 strikers at the club plays 1 doesn't work so with 4 on the bench brings a defensive midfielder on.

The guy does not have a clue what his best team or formation is.
 

In fairness, the two worst Hibs and Aberdeen teams should still be wiping the floor with St Mirren and the other smaller teams in the league. Hibs have beaten Hamilton, drew with Motherwell and narrowly beaten by Rangers (like us). Aberdeen have drawn with Rangers beat Hamilton but apart from that, yeah are on some poor form.

I think this just highlights an unrealistic expectation in our supporters. In nine SP games, we have only lost to the bigots, that means we have held our own (at least), with over half the teams in this division. Not bad going for a team with our financial constraints. Up until last night/ couple games ago I bet Hamilton, Hearts, Ross County and Killie  would love to have our form. This also from a team that was a penalty shootout away from leaving the division nine months ago. 

Look at the form some of the other similar sized teams are on as well. Killie, Hamilton and Ross County for example have been on shocking form while we have been out performing several better teams. I suppose the question is, what are peoples expectations of St Mirren at this time? To win more than we lose? To beat teams that have the finances off the back of 15k home crowds? I don't think we are there. 

Yes last night was a sore one against Hamilton, and it's a fair question about the tactics and line-up I am not denying that. But this criticism that Goody "doesn't have a clue" is very very harsh. Others calling for him to go are down right insane. 

Edited by bazil85

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

In fairness, the two worst Hibs and Aberdeen teams should still be wiping the floor with St Mirren and the other smaller teams in the league. Hibs have beaten Hamilton, drew with Motherwell and narrowly beaten by Rangers (like us). Aberdeen have drawn with Rangers beat Hamilton but apart from that, yeah are on some poor form.

I think this just highlights an unrealistic expectation in our supporters. In nine SP games, we have only lost to the bigots, that means we have held our own (at least), with over half the teams in this division. Not bad going for a team with our financial constraints. Up until last night/ couple games ago I bet Hamilton, Hearts, Ross County and Killie  would love to have our form. This also from a team that was a penalty shootout away from leaving the division nine months ago. 

Look at the form some of the other similar sized teams are on as well. Killie, Hamilton and Ross County for example have been on shocking form while we have been out performing several better teams. I suppose the question is, what are peoples expectations of St Mirren at this time? To win more than we lose? To beat teams that have the finances off the back of 15k home crowds? I don't think we are there. 

Yes last night was a sore one against Hamilton, and it's a fair question about the tactics and line-up I am not denying that. But this criticism that Goody "doesn't have a clue" is very very harsh. Others calling for him to go are down right insane. 

Decent reasoning. We have travelled some distance over the last few Seasons. The Great Escape and The Paisley Penalty Shoot Out showed how close we were to slipping down. This year's league is particularly tight. Overall our pool of players has improved at the back and in midfield. The jury still finds us wanting in the Goals For column. How the recent additions to the forward line do will have a major impact on our season. Goody as the manager? Still learning but has my support. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Said it before and I'll say it again...St Mirren fans really are an odd bunch. Guys been in the job a matter of months and people are calling for his head. These "fans" aren't very bright. Go outside and go for a walk, read a book, listen to a non football related podcast...football isn't life or death. Lighten up ffs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, stuartsmfc said:

Said it before and I'll say it again...SOME St Mirren fans really are an odd bunch. Guys been in the job a matter of months and people are calling for his head. These "fans" aren't very bright. Go outside and go for a walk, read a book, listen to a non football related podcast...football isn't life or death. Lighten up ffs

Don't tar us all with the same brush.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

........ No reasonable fan would be shouting for JG's head to roll, but regardless of the ref's performance his judgement was iffy last night, and to suggest that "tension" from the stands was a factor was a wee bit disingenuous. ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, suedehead said:

........ No reasonable fan would be shouting for JG's head to roll, but regardless of the ref's performance his judgement was iffy last night, and to suggest that "tension" from the stands was a factor was a wee bit disingenuous. ...

Exactly, the manager is not above criticism, but too early calling for him to go, wait another week. 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not St Mirren fans it's Shull in his many guises ffs. They are not hard to spot !

Said it before and I'll say it again...St Mirren fans really are an odd bunch. Guys been in the job a matter of months and people are calling for his head. These "fans" aren't very bright. Go outside and go for a walk, read a book, listen to a non football related podcast...football isn't life or death. Lighten up ffs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s mad how one poor performance gets folk going off their nuts, last week everyone was praising the team, honestly think goody just needs to get things right in the final 3rd and we’ll be a decent outfit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What some people forget, or choose to forget, is that Goodwin is still learning. Otherwise he wouldn't be with us.

He's going to make mistakes like last night. As long as he learns from those mistakes and makes less of them, then I'll be supportive of him.

He's not been slow to admit that his tactics have been responsible for some results so far. Last night he should have taken some of the blame due to his poor team selection IMO.

Edited by FTOF

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jim Goodwin is my favourite manager of recent times. Genuinely loves the club.  You know all of the fans you quite disgracefully write on here or shout for him to be sacked should be very careful with what they wish for because what you will get ain't what's in your small minds. We are getting better  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bizarre comments by Goodwin - you would hope made purely out of frustration with the result/inept performance/referee. Even more bizarre behaviour by his goalkeeping coach on Twitter - both have clearly been taking lessons from the Gus MacPherson School of How to Anger a Fanbase...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What did Langfield say???

Bizarre comments by Goodwin - you would hope made purely out of frustration with the result/inept performance/referee. Even more bizarre behaviour by his goalkeeping coach on Twitter - both have clearly been taking lessons from the Gus MacPherson School of How to Anger a Fanbase...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Ice-tears said:

Would say pool of players is worse than what we finished season with. Fecking dreadful, shite left back, poor wingers and midfielders and strikers are pathetic.

The squad (post-window) is certainly unbalanced, it's not entirely JGs fault (due to injuries & KB) but if Ryan Flynn is out then what defensive options do we have if anyone get's injured or sent off on Saturday? 

As for comparisons to last season I seem to remember Dreyer, Erhahon & Lyons all getting regularly slagged off and Obika is already on 7 goals equalling Mullen's total for the whole of last season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Ronnie said:

What did Langfield say???

He essentially said the fanbase is overreacting and "glass half empty" with regards to the result on Wednesday. 

He was then engaging in 'discussions' with a few fans who challenged him and stated that the result wasn't the main concern of the fans. A few users commented on the manager's 'nervousness' comment.

Pretty basic social media policy i'd have thought - say nothing.

Edited by W6Saint

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cheers mate. My son saw my post and sent a couple of screenshots of the discussion.

I like Jamie Langfield but don't understand how he can defend Goodwin over this.

He essentially said the fanbase is overreacting and "glass half empty" with regards to the result on Wednesday. 
He was then engaging in 'discussions' with a few fans who challenged him and stated that the result wasn't the main concern of the fans. A few users commented on the manager's 'nervousness' comment.
Pretty basic social media policy i'd have thought - say nothing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Cheers mate. My son saw my post and sent a couple of screenshots of the discussion.

I like Jamie Langfield but don't understand how he can defend Goodwin over this.

Time and a place - Twitter immediately after rescuing a point against a poor Accies side at home ain't it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Everybody get behind jim and what is left of team. I am so fed up of negative attitude of some. It is do boring. Have no issue with so called fans putting across  their point of view but stop making it so anti jim and team. Constructive criticism but not pure negativity 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Obika had 7 now 8 goals. While I know that is equal to Danny Mullen I would also point out that Livi have a striker on 12 goals and their next highest scorer has 11.

The squad (post-window) is certainly unbalanced, it's not entirely JGs fault (due to injuries & KB) but if Ryan Flynn is out then what defensive options do we have if anyone get's injured or sent off on Saturday? 
As for comparisons to last season I seem to remember Dreyer, Erhahon & Lyons all getting regularly slagged off and Obika is already on 7 goals equalling Mullen's total for the whole of last season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Hambud said:

Obika had 7 now 8 goals. While I know that is equal to Danny Mullen I would also point out that Livi have a striker on 12 goals and their next highest scorer has 11.
 

Obika slotted the ball Way well.

As did Dykes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...