Scott & McPherson

On 12/29/2019 at 3:42 PM, Bud the Baker said:

The only point that remains to be settled is the January transfer window and as I've predicted the augmentation of our squad - tick-tock!  :whistle

Back down to us nutters! :1eye

You are certainly right about the other points no longer remaining, I have easily countered all of them. Regarding this one I've already shown where you are wrong on this as well. There are actually a few reasons.

- There is additional income we couldn't have budgeted for/ known the figure. (Bigots in Europe after New Year, half year season tickets) 

- Players will be on different wages, for example S McGinn is likely one of our better paid players, if he went it won't necessarily be a like for like salary 

- We have generally budgeted on worst case scenario since the old board. The budget will now be reflective of actual income from our for half of the season.  

- Budgets for the season likely already made contingency for required January signings 

On 1/2/2020 at 10:08 AM, bazil85 said:

Blah, blah, blah,blah - more incorrect or irrelevant drivel

Once again I'll refer you to my original post...:1eye

We have a squad of 22 out of which 3 are development players so really only 19 one of these is a panic buy from our summer holidays and two have poor fitness records, we're "behind the curve" as GLS admitted prior to the Celtic game, bottom of the Division and clearly have no alternatives the manager trusts which is to say the DoF role failed in the close season.

One development player who as I said didn't get game time till injuries forced JGs hand :1eye

One development player who hasn't featured in the league :1eye

One development player who has made one two (sic) minute appearance - as a timewasting substitute :1eye

One panic buy for the LC who has made one five (sic) minute appearance since JGs considered signings arrived :1eye

Two injury prone players conveniently resigned both of whom have missed half the games available to them. :1eye

An admission by the Chairman that the TD failed in his job last summer :1eye

Tick-Tock! 

Any normal person would given up trying to disagree with the above facts ages ago, however facts are incidental to your GLS fetish and attempt to stifle debate about the club and bully people off the site! 

Edited by Bud the Baker

34 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

We have a squad of 22 out of which 3 are development players so really only 19 one of these is a panic buy from our summer holidays and two have poor fitness records, we're "behind the curve" as GLS admitted prior to the Celtic game, bottom of the Division and clearly have no alternatives the manager trusts which is to say the DoF role failed in the close season.

Still not true “it really” wasn’t only 19, it was 22. This has been proven given Cammy being practically a starting 11 player & the other two contributing to the squad. The panic buy has been easily debunked given the length of time he was on trial & the point he was signed. By this argument, any signing by any team before the League cup campaign is a “panic buy” it’s simply not true. We agree on the fitness point, why you continue to bring it up, I have no idea.

The club being “behind the curve” is not the same as saying a specific person has failed in a job, You speak about facts, this is literally a fact, just read the words (slowly). Regardless, we went into the new transfer window seven points better off than this time last season and have only lost one in the last five games. The summer business is looking further and further from a “failure” almost like we were ‘behind the curve’ given later signings but things have now started to catch-up and come together… Where have I heard that before? Cough

One development player who as I said didn't get game time till injuries forced JGs hand 

Didn’t get game time until an injury? So, again you don’t understand having a 22 man squad in an 11 player starting sport. It’s also wrong given he was observably back-up FB as shown in Killie game. Cammy is and was as much part of the 22 squad as anyone else, he wasn’t first 11 but either were 10 other players. He has now worked his way up and is playing pretty much as first choice in his position. You were wrong & it seems like pride is stopping you admitting it.

One development player who hasn't featured in the league 

Again we are a 22 man squad, you don’t seem to understand the logistics of a sport that has 11 players starting. EE has also been injured for some time, only recently back & straight into the 18 man squad for the last game.

One development player who has made one two (sic) minute appearance - as a timewasting substitute 

Still part of the 22 man squad, see above.

One panic buy for the LC who has made one five (sic) minute appearance since JGs considered signings arrived 

Proven wrong by timing and length of trial.

Two injury prone players conveniently resigned both of whom have missed half the games available to them. 

As above, we agree on this, part of modern football. Many teams will have players that are injury prone, talent players shouldn’t just be made to completely give up on their careers. Risk and reward.

An admission by the Chairman that the TD failed in his job last summer 

Show me where? I’ve already shown you that the point you refer to is wrong & even you admitted the point was about the “club”

Tick-Tock! 

Any normal person would given up trying to disagree with the above facts ages ago, however facts are incidental to you and your GLS fetish and your attempt to stifle debate about the club and bully people off the site! 

As above yet again, I have shown you these aren’t facts. Oh to hate Gus so much & have to watch him factually contribute to like for like improvement over two transfer windows. Can we make it three in a row? Can just imagine how raging you’ll be if that happens lol.

Another good effort into the New Year but you’re still very much wrong & have to deal with someone you hate being an important part of the club you “support” bitter buddie

On 1/6/2020 at 9:45 AM, bazil85 said:

More incorrect/irrelevant drivel from Baz who ends his post with a Freudian accusation calling me bitter - look in the mirror! :1eye

I repeat my original post on the subject which remains 110% correct. :1eye

At least the end of the transfer window is approaching when we will be able to put this tedious debate to bed. :1eye

20 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

More incorrect/irrelevant drivel from Baz who ends his post with a Freudian accusation calling me bitter - look in the mirror! 

I’m not bitter at all, as I have said, this part of BAWA keeps it interesting IMO. Simply pointing out factual inaccuracy on your part

I repeat my original post on the subject which remains 110% correct. 

It remains wrong for all the reasons I have pointed out. You have deflected from many of them. The main one being that we are factually better off pointwise than first half of last season, so how could it be called a failure?

At least the end of the transfer window is approaching when we will be able to put this tedious debate to bed. 

Easily beaten many times by a breakdown of the players & you still can’t show where GLS has said “Gus failed in his role at the summer” you even admitted he was talking about the club when he said “behind the curve” and being “behind” does not mean failure. By your logic, have you written to Liverpool to tell them to give back the Champions League trophy because they were behind to Barca at one point? Lol. You can’t even understand Gus job title, never mind the unpublished terms of his employment targets.

The end of the transfer window will not invalidate any of my points (yours are already invalid) for two reasons.

1. We have additional income we couldn’t account for in the summer
  2. Practically all clubs impacted by transfer windows revaluate requirements. Do you genuinely not know/ believe this?

So now that JG and Gus have had 4 and a bit months to prepare for this window AND the BOD have provided funds for 3 new players in already - HOW are Scott and MacPherson doing?  AND does JG not get any credit too?

Looking like a lot better than Hearts, Hamilton, Livi, Killie, Hibs, RC, Motherwell, The Fakes and most others at this point in the window . . . 

And we are not finished YET !  :ninja

So now that JG and Gus have had 4 and a bit months to prepare for this window AND the BOD have provided funds for 3 new players in already - HOW are Scott and MacPherson doing?  AND does JG not get any credit too?
Looking like a lot better than Hearts, Hamilton, Livi, Killie, Hibs, RC, Motherwell, The Fakes and most others at this point in the window . . . 
I'd give them all credit.

Rightly, driven by our manager Jim Goodwin, they have come up with the goods and apparently met his requests. As it should be.

I was one of the most vocal defenders and supporters of Gus when he was here before.

Long after others had turned, I was still pointing out the positives.

I was happy upon his return.
He has a wealth of knowledge, experience and ability.

My one concern was his role.

With a manager covering team affairs and a general manager already in situ, what was his role?

TBH, had they simply said it will enhance our overall management and direction, I'd have settled for something that vague.

In many employment situations, there are overlaps of duties which can be dealt with on an individual basis.

Most of the fall out has come, I believe, from the statement by GLS that appointing Gus would afford continuity, and linking it in particular to recruitment.

My understanding, right or wrong, was that if we were without manager, recruitment would continue uninterrupted due to our newly created position.

Realistically, that could never work 100%.

Would Jim even have accepted the job if told his role was to coach the players somebody else felt we needed.

Yes... Some clubs operate that model. My question was a specific one.

I believe we have an excellent young manager who will go on to much higher things.

I believe our structure is in place to support him.

I believe that structure is flexible and roles are not rigid.

I believe that is for the best.

Our pre season recruitment was late. Our chairman acknowledged that much, even if he had given the impression, intentionally or not, that the new director of football would be dealing with it in the interim.

We are getting there and the overall improvements in recruitment and play are evident for all to see.

How much is down to any one particular person? No idea. Don't care. We are a team. We cover for one another.

1 hour ago, BuddieinEK said:

I'd give them all credit.

Rightly, driven by our manager Jim Goodwin, they have come up with the goods and apparently met his requests. As it should be.

I was one of the most vocal defenders and supporters of Gus when he was here before.

Long after others had turned, I was still pointing out the positives.

I was happy upon his return.
He has a wealth of knowledge, experience and ability.

My one concern was his role.

With a manager covering team affairs and a general manager already in situ, what was his role?

TBH, had they simply said it will enhance our overall management and direction, I'd have settled for something that vague.

In many employment situations, there are overlaps of duties which can be dealt with on an individual basis.

Most of the fall out has come, I believe, from the statement by GLS that appointing Gus would afford continuity, and linking it in particular to recruitment.

My understanding, right or wrong, was that if we were without manager, recruitment would continue uninterrupted due to our newly created position.

Realistically, that could never work 100%.

Would Jim even have accepted the job if told his role was to coach the players somebody else felt we needed.

Yes... Some clubs operate that model. My question was a specific one.

I believe we have an excellent young manager who will go on to much higher things.

I believe our structure is in place to support him.

I believe that structure is flexible and roles are not rigid.

I believe that is for the best.

Our pre season recruitment was late. Our chairman acknowledged that much, even if he had given the impression, intentionally or not, that the new director of football would be dealing with it in the interim.

We are getting there and the overall improvements in recruitment and play are evident for all to see.

How much is down to any one particular person? No idea. Don't care. We are a team. We cover for one another.

Surprise you have not had a like from LPM yet for that post    :rolleyes:

On 12/21/2019 at 2:31 PM, Sweeper07 said:

Baz you are totally wasting time engaging with him. Ignore him and you will have a lot more time to use better !

There are folk on here who attack individuals like you like playground bullies - the one you responded to above does it in various aliases just to hear his phone ping with your responses . . . you are better than that . . .  :happyclapper

He's not gonna shag you mate.

5 hours ago, Sweeper07 said:

I do wish people would wait to see how good the new players are before heaping praise on the management

we have some recent signings Who are poor and a waste of a wage 

some decent ones as well who are still not as good as recent departees 

celebrating these signings could be seen as celebrating activity just because it happens and not for what it actually brings

i have over 50 years as a saints fan and that tells me that The difference between a false dawn and a good day can only be gauged at nightfall 

profound stuff for a Friday 

8 minutes ago, beyond our ken said:

I do wish people would wait to see how good the new players are before heaping praise on the management

celebrating these signings could be seen as celebrating activity just because it happens and not for what it actually brings

i have over 50 years as a saints fan and that tells me that The difference between a false dawn and a good day can only be gauged at nightfall 

Fair point BYK

1 hour ago, beyond our ken said:
6 hours ago, Sweeper07 said:

I do wish people would wait to see how good the new players are before heaping praise on the management   Why? the club has moved for players they can afford and whom they think will improve individually and also improve the team.

we have some recent signings Who are poor and a waste of a wage  Doesn't every team have those. Are we supposed to be the one team that ONLY brings in good players who fit in? unlikely.

some decent ones as well who are still not as good as recent departees   Almost as vague as your unfounded assertions.  Who? when? .

celebrating these signings could be seen as celebrating activity just because it happens and not for what it actually brings  Which is nothing more than a subjective opinion.and most certainly not a valid critique of what Sweeper said.

i have over 50 years as a saints fan and that tells me that The difference between a false dawn and a good day can only be gauged at nightfall   I have over 60 years and might I suggest Specsavers,

profound stuff for a Friday  Can't really comment on that seeing as it is now Saturday. but have a great day and support the buddies.

13 hours ago, Magic Monkey said:

He's not gonna shag you mate.

Good I would hope he would not even try . . . how warped are you though OR are you trying to be weirdly funny? 🤢

Seriously looking at where we are and the squad we have, and despite of the Stubbs and Oran sagas, we are progressing each year and there is a much better stability built in to the current squad with not too many loan players. We've had plenty of injuries to 1st choice players and we are way better off than this time last year...

The Loss of McLoughlin is a big one but with 4 CB's back fit and a couple of tried and tested back ups, we now have cover for both full backs and a much stronger midfield. McGrath will get and create goals and the front players are already up to speed and fitness now.

I don't think we are so great that things cannot go wrong, but right now, I believe Hamilton, RC, Hearts and the Fakes are worse than us... we may even catch and pass Livi or Killie. 11th last year, I expect we will better that and be safe - and that is the primary goal. A great cup run would be a bonus for the fans and financially for the club, but staying up without relegation fears is fine by me... Then at the end of the season we will be looking for 5-7 players NOT 16  . . .

• 3 weeks later...

Well now the transfer window's finished let's look back at my predictions.from November - @bazil85

• Core squad increased - correct there! 
  • Our two summer signings with poor fitness records have both missing for significant part of the season - correct there!
  • Djorkaeff a panic buy for the LC who made 5 minutes game time once JGs considered arrived and who we tried to dump in the January window - correct there!
  • 3 development players one who made it in the circumstances I described, one gone with no game time in the league (even when the squad almost buckled in December) and one who is unlikely to add to a 2min time wasting substitution in the second game of the season - correct on all three!

All of these points have been generally accepted on the Forum at large and you haven't gone into attack mode with anyone else over these points, your real grievance is that GLSs  "behind the curve" statement endorses my POV regarding the effectiveness of our TD position over the summer of 2019,  take it up with GLS or the OED. All of this and a complete reversal on BDE on the Who's Out thread - classic madBaz material! :1eye:1eye:1eye

In conclusion I will not be bullied off the Forum for stating what it clearly true - feel free to continue with you bitter, negative & sycophantic posting but unless you come up with fresh & relevant arguments to replace the drivel you have been repeating for the past 212 months I won't feel the need to reply.

14 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

Well now the transfer window's finished let's look back at my predictions.from November - @bazil85

• Core squad increased - correct there! 
  • Our two summer signings with poor fitness records have both missing for significant part of the season - correct there!
  • Djorkaeff a panic buy for the LC who made 5 minutes game time once JGs considered arrived and who we tried to dump in the January window - correct there!
  • 3 development players one who made it in the circumstances I described, one gone with no game time in the league (even when the squad almost buckled in December) and one who is unlikely to add to a 2min time wasting substitution in the second game of the season - correct on all three!

All of these points have been generally accepted on the Forum at large and you haven't gone into attack mode with anyone else over these points, your real grievance is that GLSs  "behind the curve" statement endorses my POV regarding the effectiveness of our TD position over the summer of 2019,  take it up with GLS or the OED. All of this and a complete reversal on BDE on the Who's Out thread - classic madBaz material! :1eye:1eye:1eye

In conclusion I will not be bullied off the Forum for stating what it clearly true - feel free to continue with you bitter, negative & sycophantic posting but unless you come up with fresh & relevant arguments to replace the drivel you have been repeating for the past 212 months I won't feel the need to reply.

Yes, all of your irrelevant “predictions”..... which were certain, all turned out to be correct

They are also either completely irrelevant to your point or actually go to prove yourself wrong!

Keep up the good work! :lol:

Edited by Hiram Abiff

On 2/1/2020 at 5:38 PM, Bud the Baker said:

• Core squad increased - correct there! What’s your point? We’ve brought in several income streams over the months that couldn’t be accounted for. Hardly a surprise. 
  • Our two summer signings with poor fitness records have both missing for significant part of the season - correct there! I agreed with you on this, that they were a risk, happens with lots of players, risk and reward. 
  • Djorkaeff a panic buy for the LC who made 5 minutes game time once JGs considered arrived and who we tried to dump in the January window - correct there! You were wrong on this, he wasn’t a panic buy. Observable from time he was on trial & point we signed him. Some players don’t work out, part of football. 
  • 3 development players one who made it in the circumstances I described, one gone with no game time in the league (even when the squad almost buckled in December) and one who is unlikely to add to a 2min time wasting substitution in the second game of the season - correct on all three! Wrong again, CM is clearly a first team player. You literally couldn’t have been more wrong on him. EE was injured during that time as well, trying to spin this to your point is nonsense. They were all part of our 22 man squad, naturally not all players can play given the nature of football. 

One of the points I agreed with from the start yet you try & take credit.the other on increasing the squad size isn’t a revelation & given the new income channels, it doesn’t back up your view we didn’t use the full set budget in the summer. I pointed this out to you many times yet you completely ignore the facts. You also clearly don’t understand football teams re-evaluate their squads from time to time. Staggering. You were wrong on the other two points.

‘behind the curve’ still doesn’t mean failure. you’ve relaxed your language on that. Finally an acceptance of the overwhelming evidence I’ve provided you... or maybe just reading the interviews? 

No reversal at all, you again just don’t understand things change in football. 

- no bullying from me 

- I’ve shown you where you are wrong several times, you ignoring the clear available information or lack there of doesn’t change that. You laughably trying to pretty much claim a win for a point we agree on is also nothing short of embarrassing. 
- that’s fine, as I’ve said all along I enjoy this part of BAWA but I’m not making you continue to respond. You’ve done that yourself over the last few months. 

9 hours ago, BuddieinEK said:

emoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.png
He totally owns you.
Your arse must ache being shafted so long and hard.

Trying to defend yourself?

Comedy gold!

emoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.png

That's not true though is it? You've came in on this topic before then dodged questions when asked if you agree on points he's made... Spin away!

Or do you think Cammy M is a development player and not part of the senior squad? How about GLS comments , has he noted Gus as a failure in his role at the club? Did we panic buy a player on trial for weeks (if not longer) to play Albion Rovers and EK?

The regulars on here know two things 1. Your need for stuff like this to be true 2. Your need to continually engage with me... Comedy gold :P 

So let's get away   ((((       P   L   E    A   S   E         )))))   from all this "I said and you said and I am right and you are wrong" playground greetin FFS !

The topic is Scott and Gus and how they are doing in helping us and the management team to improve the squad and team -  (well that's what I believe from way way back at the beginning)

IS it too early to assess how we did during the most recent window? Or can we say it looks like they have made a good effort?

McCarthy Tick plus surely?   :   Famewo  Tick (looks better than I expected)   :   McGrath - looks good so far (more to come from him and hope his injury was a one off)

Hodson  Tick Tick (good versatile player and a leader) :     Jakubiak  and   Chabbi (cannot wait to see them both bang in their 1st and 2nd goals)

And the reserve goalie . . .

Got money for Paul M , offloaded our almost 36 year old CB, and loaned out Erhahon for some money and experience . . .

AND sitting cash rich at the moment !!!!     THE BOD and Management TEAM get my thumbs up anyway !  👍             :cheers

Down to the new players to take their chance and make us move up the table !