The Euro 2020 Thread

Cornwall_Saint

We now know 20 of the 24 countries which will compete in Euro 2020. The current list of qualifiers is as follows:

Austria, Poland

Belgium, Russia

Croatia, Wales

Czech Republic, England

Denmark, Switzerland

France, Turkey

Germany, Netherlands

Italy, Finland

Portugal, Ukraine

Spain, Sweden

Finland will be competing in their first ever European campaign. Some of the bigger sides who haven’t yet qualified include 2004 winners Greece and a Serbian side denied in a tough group containing holders Portugal and Ukraine who managed to top the group ahead of the Portuguese.

Cheers HSS. Was just reading up about it on the Euro website.

Path A will feature Iceland, and three of Bulgaria, Hungary, Israel and Romania.

Path B - Bosnia-Herzegovina v Northern Ireland, Slovakia v Republic of Ireland

Path C will feature Norway v Serbia, and Scotland will host the one team not drawn into Path A.

Path D - Georgia v Belarus, North Macedonia v Kosovo

From a Scottish perspective the one team I want to avoid is Romania.

The Scotsman, Herald and Sun media outlets are reporting that Russia could be thrown out of various tournaments - including Euro 2020 - because of doping. There is no clear procedure of how UEFA would replace them but a likely one would be that we get in through the back door.

Slightly embarrassing but i'd take it!

2 hours ago, southsidebud said:

The Scotsman, Herald and Sun media outlets are reporting that Russia could be thrown out of various tournaments - including Euro 2020 - because of doping. There is no clear procedure of how UEFA would replace them but a likely one would be that we get in through the back door.

Slightly embarrassing but i'd take it!

More chance of the SNPs winning the GE

9 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

Someone needs to explain this to me

How the feck does the stupid Nations League work...………..

Thought the only chance of two stabs was to WIN the Nations League group ? So how the hell are Israel in the mix

Can anyone explain ?  

It's pretty mental and complex but from what I can tell, the way the qualifiers panned out. The European final tables meant that one Path A team, didn't get auto qualification (Iceland and known as path A). All the other Path A teams qualified, so their National League play-off position went down to the next team, a number of them qualified as well and it's resulted in a build-up in Path C teams (which Scotland are one. That meant one team had to be moved into Path A and the format that we see.

Amazingly, despite being 5th in their European group, Israel have a good enough record to get into a play-off based on the way other games have went and National League ranking. 

3 hours ago, bazil85 said:

It's pretty mental and complex but from what I can tell, the way the qualifiers panned out. The European final tables meant that one Path A team, didn't get auto qualification (Iceland and known as path A). All the other Path A teams qualified, so their National League play-off position went down to the next team, a number of them qualified as well and it's resulted in a build-up in Path C teams (which Scotland are one. That meant one team had to be moved into Path A and the format that we see.

Amazingly, despite being 5th in their European group, Israel have a good enough record to get into a play-off based on the way other games have went and National League ranking. 

Thanks Baz

Are San Marino still in with a shout ?

On 11/22/2019 at 5:26 PM, Slartibartfast said:

I think it's all quite easily understood.

Likewise, I really don’t see what is so difficult to understand. It’s pretty straightforward. Whilst I don’t fancy the job of the guy who works out who’s in and who’s out, the concept couldn’t be simpler and anyone who didn’t know what was going on at the end, clearly just didn’t bother understanding the rules in the first place.

I like the Nations League and it beats the f**king arse off the mind numbingly boring friendlies that it replaced. 

On 11/22/2019 at 12:49 PM, bazil85 said:

We also seen a fellow Path C side, Finland qualify for the tournament through the actual qualifiers, meaning they don’t have to compete in these playoffs - so another team has replaced them as well. Indeed it was expected that we would be meeting Finland in the semis, but they look pretty decent atm so maybe it’s no bad thing avoiding them.

The most pointless draw in the history of the Euros has been made.

Group A - Italy, Switzerland, Turkey, Wales

Group B - Belgium, Denmark, Finland, Russia

Group C - Austria, Netherlands, Ukraine, Playoff D(?)

Group D - Croatia, Czech Republic, England, Playoff C

Group E - Poland, Spain, Sweden, Playoff B

Group F - France, Germany, Portugal, Playoff A(?)

*Play-off Winner A is allocated to Group F and Play-off Winner D to Group C. If Romania qualify as Path A winners, they will play in Group C and Play-off Winner D is switched to Group F. 

Shittest draw ever with all the guarantees already in place. Belgium already knew they were facing Denmark, Russia, and one of Finland or Wales.

Kevin De Bruyne slams Fake Draw

As for Scotland, if we do the unthinkable and actually qualify, then we can look forward to tanking England.

Edited by Cornwall_Saint

• 2 weeks later...

Despite the ban, Russia will be able to compete at Euro 2020 - in which St Petersburg will be a host city - as European football's governing body Uefa is not defined as a 'major event organisation' with regards to rulings on anti-doping breaches.

Tbh I’d rather Scotland get there through a proper route. After a 22 year absence from a tournament this would be an embarrassing way to re-enter.
To be fair, it didn't do Denmark any harm, drafted in at the last minute and won the tournament.

15 hours ago, Mykey said:
On 12/9/2019 at 12:28 PM, Cornwall_Saint said:
Tbh I’d rather Scotland get there through a proper route. After a 22 year absence from a tournament this would be an embarrassing way to re-enter.

To be fair, it didn't do Denmark any harm, drafted in at the last minute and won the tournament.

In my defence I was still in my mother’s womb when that tournament was taking place.