So farewell then..........................Iain Sutherland

eastlandssaint

I must be getting psychic in my old age.  i have been expecting this news for a few weeks without any news or info to base it on, I just kinda knew!  😥

I saw, and met, both of the brothers and Quiver at the old Tiffany's in '75 all were real gents and from meeting them before the gig you wouldn't have expected half the performance level they gave

Iain was an exceptional rythmn guitarist and a no'bad lead player as well, but his voice was the soul of the Sutherquivs.  

as well as the songs above, he wrote some real corkers.  His best songs were mostly from before they had big-ish hits but Muff Winwood's hit and miss production held them back a lot.  Real Love, (Muff got it right on this one) from before Quiver times is sublime and the song drew amazing performances from Stevie Winwood on Hammond and John "Rabbit" Bundrick on piano-jazztastic and soulful.  I'll post some links later.

Iain wrote some of my favourite lyrics, such as the opening chorus of "laid back in anger"

"Once upon a dream, a man stood up for something he believed in, he made the press and the TV shows, but now he's somewhere and no-one knows-so it goes."

and the classic "they took a deputation to the office block, they found a union leader in the shape of a jock, but the boss just smiled at his socks and laid back in anger"

They should put that on his stone.

RIP Iain, 

Edited by beyond our ken

Reminiscing on Sutherland Brothers, Round House and 'Sailing'... I recalled another brilliant talent at the time, a song with sailing in it...

a fragment of lyric "oh what a joke these 24 years have been".. googled.  for a happy reminder.

It was Duncan Browne. 

Journey. Great soaring guitar, great lyrics,... and he also died, I found. 

Early in his 40s  Cancer.

Edited by antrin