30th November 2019 Aberdeen v St. Mirren

Sweeper07

1 hour ago, lenziebud said:

We are playing well just not getting the breaks, it will come.

I'm confident we will stay up and with the right recruitment in Jan we'll be fine.

I think we are better than RC, Hamilton and Livi plus St J are poor this season although I think they'll turn it round.

This. Even though our away record is horrific, out of the five sides likely to be battling relegation, I still think we are probably the best of those sides. County, Livi and Açcies haven't won in six or seven games, and the fakes have a very poor defence. Having said that, I think the next four games are crucial. As long as we are not playing catch up on these teams by the winter break, we should be fine.

9 hours ago, proudtobeabuddy said:

Just seen the penalty award. What an absolute joke that their keeper wasn't sent off! 

That is true but it’s annoying mainly from the point of view of rules not being properly applied. I don’t think we can claim that it would’ve made a huge difference to the game at that stage. Willie Miller could’ve come out the commentary box and saved the penalty.

I think people are going a wee bit overboard about how well we played. We definitely gave a good account of ourselves. Ryan Flynn was outstanding, but on the flip side I thought S. McGinn and Magennis were terrible. The rest got pass marks. I’m not having the “we deserved to get something out the game” though. You deserve to get something out of the game when you score as many or more goals than the opposition. It’s that simple and it’s the thing that we singularly fail to do on so many occasion. If you got points for pretty passes in midfield with zero end product then we’d be top of the league. Unfortunately we couldnae hit a coo’s arse with a banjo in the final third and I agree with what seems to be an increasing minority in here that Obika is not the answer. At the very best I’d say he might be a decent 6 yard box poacher, but unfortunately we don’t do what Ryan Flynn did yesterday anywhere near enough, to supply the ammo. 

16 hours ago, ged62 said:

Andreu cost us a valuable point today.

Must say I am not a fan of Andreu. He always looks lackadaisical to me and do not think neither he nor Goody knows where to field him as he is around the play but does not seem to get involved - a kind of shuffling bystander. And probably the last player on the pitch I would assign to take a penalty would have been Andreu. But for some mysterious reason Goody rates him.

46 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

That is true but it’s annoying mainly from the point of view of rules not being properly applied. I don’t think we can claim that it would’ve made a huge difference to the game at that stage. Willie Miller could’ve come out the commentary box and saved the penalty.

I think people are going a wee bit overboard about how well we played. We definitely gave a good account of ourselves. Ryan Flynn was outstanding, but on the flip side I thought S. McGinn and Magennis were terrible. The rest got pass marks. I’m not having the “we deserved to get something out the game” though. You deserve to get something out of the game when you score as many or more goals than the opposition. It’s that simple and it’s the thing that we singularly fail to do on so many occasion. If you got points for pretty passes in midfield with zero end product then we’d be top of the league. Unfortunately we couldnae hit a coo’s arse with a banjo in the final third and I agree with what seems to be an increasing minority in here that Obika is not the answer. At the very best I’d say he might be a decent 6 yard box poacher, but unfortunately we don’t do what Ryan Flynn did yesterday anywhere near enough, to supply the ammo. 

I wasn't there yesterday i had the pleasure of Christmas shopping to do🤔. I agree that we might not have deserved the win but if their keeper was sent off we might have made use of the advantage. I also agree that, although i like Obika, i think he needs another striker to compliment his style because he doesn't score enough.  Mullen and Morais haven't really formed a great partnership with him. Maybe a fit Cody Cooke will step up, but i think Jim's going to need more attacking options in the January window.

8 minutes ago, Sonny said:

Must say I am not a fan of Andreu. He always looks lackadaisical to me and do not think neither he nor Goody knows where to field him as he is around the play but does not seem to get involved - a kind of shuffling bystander. And probably the last player on the pitch I would assign to take a penalty would have been Andreu. But for some mysterious reason Goody rates him.

I'd add the 2 Kyle's to players who need to give more, these players are our most creative but so far this season it's not happening. I know they're both young but I've  always believed  if you're good enough you're old enough.

Edited by proudtobeabuddy

Just now, proudtobeabuddy said:

I'd add the 2 Kyle's to players who need to give more, these players are our most creative but so far this season it's not happening. I know they're both young but I've  always believed  if you're good enough you're old enough.

Would not disagree with Magennis who is an extremely good player having a poor season. I do not know what the answer to Magennis is as he is now playing in centre midfield - his best position - but still not showing what he is capable of. Maybe a rest would help. Personally I would play him further forward off Obika and drop Andreu (surprise, surprise :) ).

McAllister is a different story. His fitness is a constant issue which means he cannot get a run of games as he never seems to be fit for more than 2 weeks at a time. And there are major flaws in his game the worst being he always wants to run with the ball often running back to the half way line to collect it while Paul McGinn is screaming at him to get up the park for the pass. While on the ball outside the penalty area he can cause havoc but unfortunately that does not happen too often and I do not see it changing anytime soon. Can only see him a bit-part player which is a shame as he does have talent.

16 minutes ago, Sonny said:

Would not disagree with Magennis who is an extremely good player having a poor season. I do not know what the answer to Magennis is as he is now playing in centre midfield - his best position - but still not showing what he is capable of. Maybe a rest would help. Personally I would play him further forward off Obika and drop Andreu (surprise, surprise :) ).

McAllister is a different story. His fitness is a constant issue which means he cannot get a run of games as he never seems to be fit for more than 2 weeks at a time. And there are major flaws in his game the worst being he always wants to run with the ball often running back to the half way line to collect it while Paul McGinn is screaming at him to get up the park for the pass. While on the ball outside the penalty area he can cause havoc but unfortunately that does not happen too often and I do not see it changing anytime soon. Can only see him a bit-part player which is a shame as he does have talent.

I'm not sure I'd agree Magennis is having a poor season. I think he's had quite a few decent games this season and looking like he is getting back to some kind of form. Over the last few weeks his form has dipped again,

As for McAllister he should never have been signed this season. It was as obvious as it could possibly be last season when he came up in Jan. 3 year deal as well, why do we keep doing this stuff.

18 minutes ago, Sonny said:

I think Kyle Mccallister probably gets frustrated and comes deeper to try and influence things but you're right, his fitness needs to improve and he needs to be in the final third more.

Having just seen Lewis' foul on Obika, it's incredible that Lewis wasn't issued a red card.

Obika touches the ball past Lewis, who sticks out his arm and pulls down Obika.

Clear intention was to take out the player, with absolutely no intention of trying to save the ball.

Although given our profligacy in front of goal, we'd probably still have missed the penalty with the sub 'keeper in goal.

1 hour ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Agree with most of this,a think s.mcginn was really struggling and Foley and Flynn was constantly covering him for his lack of pace and bad passes:and what has happened to magennis,he is absolutely brutal and needs to be benched his form has been terrible weeks,maybe his head has been turned with transfer rumours,and surely mcalister and Cooke must get some decent time on park to see if they can dig us out of this shite:because we have to change or tweak formations,ideas etc because the same old same old not working,every team in division no what we gonna do as Jim says in every interview "we set up to hit them on break"as for andreu:not even going there with him

Edited by paul torfason
Typo error

What does that mean?

He's good at holding the ball up, one of our better players, maybe, a goalscorer, even a tosser line you could score more often... .       Took that too far. 

Is that right Faraway, starting to sound like him & posting for the sake of posting. [emoji4]

54 minutes ago, munoz said:

Having just seen the penalty incident from yesterday on Sportscene I'm left wondering- how the feck was Lewis not sent off ? A red card all day long. 

Not only that but there were at least four Dons players in the box before the ball was struck.  Having watched MOTD over the last few weeks there have been a number of saved pens retaken because of encroachment.  I know it's VAR and we don't have it but if the linesman is watching the goalie and the ref is watching the taker what is the fourth official up to, scratching his arse on the halfway line for his £700 fee?  Get him involved.

Edited by rabuddies
Mind you, he had two goes and still missed!!!

11 hours ago, munoz said:

Having just seen the penalty incident from yesterday on Sportscene I'm left wondering- how the feck was Lewis not sent off ? A red card all day long. 

It can only be one of two things. Either he simply applied the new rule incorrectly, or he (wrongly) thought the Aberdeen defender was coming round to clear the ball. Either way shite.