Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
freethinker

St Mirren AGM 2019

Recommended Posts


Interesting reading in the accounts. Don't think it will be a surprise to anyone that we had to use a massive chunk of the McGinn income to pay off players and strengthen after the Stubbs car crash. It's unfortunate but most fans will not continually throw the recruitment mistake back in the BOD's face over and over again (toffee apple for anyone guessing correctly which "fans" will?) 

Still plenty of positives considering we won't need to do the same again this season. 

- Fourth year in a row of recorded profit

- Cash in bank increased by almost 40%

- Div had mentioned we got £330k in post year end registration sales (likely McGinn promotion share). Hopefully can be used for further progression as opposed to fire fighting like last season 

- Strong comments that the next 12 months are budgeted for including scenario planning 

No question last season wasn't ideal regarding the way we could have used the extra income but still largely positive that we are on the right track. And to come out of it still recording profit & retaining our SP status is a big plus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bazil85 said:

Interesting reading in the accounts. Don't think it will be a surprise to anyone that we had to use a massive chunk of the McGinn income to pay off players and strengthen after the Stubbs car crash. It's unfortunate but most fans will not continually throw the recruitment mistake back in the BOD's face over and over again (toffee apple for anyone guessing correctly which "fans" will?) 

Still plenty of positives considering we won't need to do the same again this season. 

- Fourth year in a row of recorded profit

- Cash in bank increased by almost 40%

- Div had mentioned we got £330k in post year end registration sales (likely McGinn promotion share). Hopefully can be used for further progression as opposed to fire fighting like last season 

- Strong comments that the next 12 months are budgeted for including scenario planning 

No question last season wasn't ideal regarding the way we could have used the extra income but still largely positive that we are on the right track. And to come out of it still recording profit & retaining our SP status is a big plus.

It genuinely beggars belief that for the second year in a row, you've failed to notice or comment on the huge operating loss as though it is absolutely f**k all to worry about. :lol:

Yes, the profit is welcome and yes it's nice we got through the last 12 months without going bust but at least show some ability to critically evaluate. These accounts are more than a little worrying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, oaksoft said:

It genuinely beggars belief that for the second year in a row, you've failed to notice or comment on the huge operating loss as though it is absolutely f**k all to worry about. :lol:

Yes, the profit is welcome and yes it's nice we got through the last 12 months without going bust but at least show some ability to critically evaluate. These accounts are more than a little worrying.

What are you talking about? Noting positives doesn’t mean I ignore the concerns. Are you physically unable to attach positivity to anything? 😂

yes some elements are a concern but I do feel there’s significant mitigation. There’s nothing that I think is unfixable, I feel it looks like costing took into account the known incomes & I believe we can build on the positives.

We aren’t likely going to be paying off practically a whole squad & another management team anytime soon so it should reflect in the accounts going forward.

Still work to be done though no doubt... but how dare someone note positive from a set of accounts 😅 

There’ll be a few clubs in this division in a much worse situation than us, that’s for sure  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bazil85 said:

What are you talking about? Noting positives doesn’t mean I ignore the concerns. Are you physically unable to attach positivity to anything? 😂

yes some elements are a concern but I do feel there’s significant mitigation. There’s nothing that I think is unfixable, I feel it looks like costing took into account the known incomes & I believe we can build on the positives.

We aren’t likely going to be paying off practically a whole squad & another management team anytime soon so it should reflect in the accounts going forward.

Still work to be done though no doubt... but how dare someone note positive from a set of accounts 😅 

There’ll be a few clubs in this division in a much worse situation than us, that’s for sure  

 

I am beginning to see how lemmings walk off cliffs. They just don't see anything coming.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank goodness we were able to get an extra six figure sum and a 10% increase in the wage budget from the old firm. 
 

Or were we being fiscally responsible all along, I didn’t get the memo so I’m not entirely sure of the party line. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, oaksoft said:

I am beginning to see how lemmings walk off cliffs. They just don't see anything coming.

Some very positive numbers in there and reassuring points regarding forward planning. Do we need to bridge a deficit? Yes. 

Is it financial suicide? One of the most negative contributors in the websites history obviously thinks yes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
It genuinely beggars belief that for the second year in a row, you've failed to notice or comment on the huge operating loss as though it is absolutely f**k all to worry about. 
Yes, the profit is welcome and yes it's nice we got through the last 12 months without going bust but at least show some ability to critically evaluate. These accounts are more than a little worrying.
My god those accounts are a real laundry list of shit figures!
Turnover up by only a third despite promotion
But expenses up by fifty percent!!!

Wages up Again by an eye watering fifty percent!

Carrying financial assets down 70%
But liabilities up 30%!
And debtors up 160k

If it wasn't for cough, cough.. Youth income going up (guessing that's the council's payment to run street stuff?)
Then the REAL drop in profit would have been even larger...

Add to that as Oaky highlights the shocking operating loss and you are in real Sevco territory.

Going forward it will deteriorate as Oran & co payoffs are not included (after 31/5/19) theres no big transfer fee coming in, and whatever they spaffed on McAllister hits the balance sheet.
And if our fortunes on the pitch don't improve the clamour to blame and bag the manager as gates fall will just accelerate that negative trend.

The laughable chairman statement where he tries to say how well he has done by producing an 11k profit out of a 30% turnover increase and extra 300k player sales is a bit like the tories insisting there will be 50k more nurses if we don't detract the 19k already employed!

Still the directors got a bit more so its "kushty" as Del Boy would say.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bazil85 said:

Some very positive numbers in there and reassuring points regarding forward planning. Do we need to bridge a deficit? Yes. 

Is it financial suicide? One of the most negative contributors in the websites history obviously thinks yes. 

The path we have been on very much is - there can be no more sacking managers and we simply must be more astute in recruitment as we cannot keep paying off duds. If that path is continued along then yest it will be suicidal. Scott and the board have to screw the nut and the management team have to recruit better those are the glaring unwritten headlines. That said we are nowhere near "Sevco Territory" as has been stated above - that is simply bollocks.

Edited by Ayrshire Saints

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

The path we have been on very much is - there can be no more sacking managers and we simply must be more astute in recruitment as we cannot keep paying off duds. If that path is continued along then yest it will be suicidal. Scott and the board have to screw the nut and the management team have to recruit better those are the glaring unwritten headlines. That said we are nowhere near "Sevco Territory" as has been stated above - that is simply bollocks.

There’s no doubt the managerial changes aren’t sustainable but I think it’s been a bit of an anomaly. The only poor choice under the current BOD has been Stubbs with the rest of the changes being outside our control. 

It’s looking a lot more now like we won’t be wilfully changing the manager anytime soon. And that we won’t be needing to do mass player overhauls. Our recruitment is slow but sure reaping rewards IMO. Slow start yes but plenty in a lot of recent matches to be positive about  

Correct, people saying we’re in sevco territory may as well say the majority of clubs in the SP are the same, It’s ridiculous. Looking ahead we are one of very few teams not reliant on borrowing & that have recorded profits for four seasons in a row. That foundation is nothing like Sevco 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

My god those accounts are a real laundry list of shit figures!
Turnover up by only a third despite promotion
But expenses up by fifty percent!!!

Wages up Again by an eye watering fifty percent!

Carrying financial assets down 70%
But liabilities up 30%!
And debtors up 160k

If it wasn't for cough, cough.. Youth income going up (guessing that's the council's payment to run street stuff?)
Then the REAL drop in profit would have been even larger...

Add to that as Oaky highlights the shocking operating loss and you are in real Sevco territory.

Going forward it will deteriorate as Oran & co payoffs are not included (after 31/5/19) theres no big transfer fee coming in, and whatever they spaffed on McAllister hits the balance sheet.
And if our fortunes on the pitch don't improve the clamour to blame and bag the manager as gates fall will just accelerate that negative trend.

The laughable chairman statement where he tries to say how well he has done by producing an 11k profit out of a 30% turnover increase and extra 300k player sales is a bit like the tories insisting there will be 50k more nurses if we don't detract the 19k already employed!

Still the directors got a bit more so its "kushty" as Del Boy would say.

You can almost picture the kid on Christmas Eve feeling he must have had when he wrote this garbage. Sevco territory 😂😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Lord Pityme said:

My god those accounts are a real laundry list of shit figures!
Turnover up by only a third despite promotion
But expenses up by fifty percent!!!

Wages up Again by an eye watering fifty percent!

Carrying financial assets down 70%
But liabilities up 30%!
And debtors up 160k

If it wasn't for cough, cough.. Youth income going up (guessing that's the council's payment to run street stuff?)
Then the REAL drop in profit would have been even larger...

Add to that as Oaky highlights the shocking operating loss and you are in real Sevco territory.

Going forward it will deteriorate as Oran & co payoffs are not included (after 31/5/19) theres no big transfer fee coming in, and whatever they spaffed on McAllister hits the balance sheet.
And if our fortunes on the pitch don't improve the clamour to blame and bag the manager as gates fall will just accelerate that negative trend.

The laughable chairman statement where he tries to say how well he has done by producing an 11k profit out of a 30% turnover increase and extra 300k player sales is a bit like the tories insisting there will be 50k more nurses if we don't detract the 19k already employed!

Still the directors got a bit more so its "kushty" as Del Boy would say.

Well it's clearly not Sevco terrority. That's ridiculous.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bazil85 said:

There’s no doubt the managerial changes aren’t sustainable but I think it’s been a bit of an anomaly. The only poor choice under the current BOD has been Stubbs with the rest of the changes being outside our control. 

It’s looking a lot more now like we won’t be wilfully changing the manager anytime soon. And that we won’t be needing to do mass player overhauls. Our recruitment is slow but sure reaping rewards IMO. Slow start yes but plenty in a lot of recent matches to be positive about  

Correct, people saying we’re in sevco territory may as well say the majority of clubs in the SP are the same, It’s ridiculous. Looking ahead we are one of very few teams not reliant on borrowing & that have recorded profits for four seasons in a row. That foundation is nothing like Sevco 😂

A pay off is a pay off no matter the circumstances and when it comes to paying off a football manager that is 100% the decision of a club - if it wasn't the clubs decision the contract would not have been due to be paid !

As for recruitment is reaping rewards - in what way ?  Certainly not in points return so far nor in any potential sell on fees. Not sure how anyone can say at this stage that recruitment is "slow but sure reaping rewards". Reward will be judged in terms of where we finish at the end of the season or whether we have been able to sell on a signing for a profit. Only then will there be any modicum of success.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

A pay off is a pay off no matter the circumstances and when it comes to paying off a football manager that is 100% the decision of a club - if it wasn't the clubs decision the contract would not have been due to be paid !

As for recruitment is reaping rewards - in what way ?  Certainly not in points return so far nor in any potential sell on fees. Not sure how anyone can say at this stage that recruitment is "slow but sure reaping rewards". Reward will be judged in terms of where we finish at the end of the season or whether we have been able to sell on a signing for a profit. Only then will there be any modicum of success.

Is that strictly true? 

Rae - in place already right call to sack 

Ross - wasn’t a payoff 

Stubbs - yep big mistake 

OK- situation not fully known, certainly wasn’t let go for any football reasons. 

Recruitment. Slow start granted but we’re now seventh in the form table, played some decent games & finally banging in the goals. Picking up points against teams around us as well. I certainly don’t think there’s any requirement to move on close to a full team in January. Two or three signings in January & we could be onto a winner which is relatively normal for most clubs. 

 Correct reward will be seen at end of the season. I’m speculating based on improvements I’ve seen in front of goal & performances. Same as you seem to be speculating that we won’t get sell ons or that the players aren’t good enough. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bazil85 said:

Is that strictly true? 

Rae - in place already right call to sack 

Ross - wasn’t a payoff 

Stubbs - yep big mistake 

OK- situation not fully known, certainly wasn’t let go for any football reasons. 

Recruitment. Slow start granted but we’re now seventh in the form table, played some decent games & finally banging in the goals. Picking up points against teams around us as well. I certainly don’t think there’s any requirement to move on close to a full team in January. Two or three signings in January & we could be onto a winner which is relatively normal for most clubs. 

 Correct reward will be seen at end of the season. I’m speculating based on improvements I’ve seen in front of goal & performances. Same as you seem to be speculating that we won’t get sell ons or that the players aren’t good enough. 

I never said that at all I said time will tell - the end of the season will be when we can say one way or the other.  As for pay-offs again I never mentioned specifics but as I said regardless of circumstances a pay off is a pay off and that is 100% controllable by those in charge of the club. They chose to go down that route for whatever reason and the MUST stop. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

I never said that at all I said time will tell - the end of the season will be when we can say one way or the other.  As for pay-offs again I never mentioned specifics but as I said regardless of circumstances a pay off is a pay off and that is 100% controllable by those in charge of the club. They chose to go down that route for whatever reason and the MUST stop. 

I think that’s isolating the incident of payoffs somewhat. To say that’s it and nothing more should be considered is unrealistic in my view. Rae & Stubbs both had to go, that was beyond any reasonable question. Therefore only really leaves OK & the conditions of his payoff are not fully known.  

You were asking about the recruitment reaping rewords, I made it clear, my comments were based on it showing signs (based on recent goals & performances), not predicting the absolute situation at the end of the season. If we both agree on that, I’m not sure why you asked the question? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, oaksoft said:

I am beginning to see how lemmings walk off cliffs. They just don't see anything coming.

Surely you mean WHY lemmings walk off cliffs, but they certainly don't do it because they can't see anything coming. hey have a definite goal in mind, which is to find new territory to inhabit and breed in to preserve the species. As a scientist you should know that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Au contraire.

It's a migratory thing.

I wonder which one is bazil85?

 

I there one that doesn’t just look at something on the internet for 18 seconds & assume its all a terrible thing? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, bazil85 said:

I there one that doesn’t just look at something on the internet for 18 seconds & assume its all a terrible thing? 

The only terrible thing here is this post of yours.

I can't make head nor tail of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:
9 hours ago, oaksoft said:
Au contraire.
It's a migratory thing.
I wonder which one is bazil85?
 

That video is from a Disney movie from years ago where they literally forced the lemmings over the cliff just so they could make the movie interesting.

You may have unearthed my dastardly secret as regards this specific film but I am still correct though. The furry bastards still have a tendency to jump off cliffs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...