Long John Baldy

St Mirren v Motherwell, Wed 4th Dec

I think this could be a cracking game.

Motherwell are not unbeatable, especially away from home and, despite losing to HIbs last week, we are still one of the better teams at home.

Oh how we need a win, I can see a 1-1 result.

Pity it's midweek, a Saturday would have seen a decent crowd.

How is our average attendance holding up? 

4 hours ago, Long John Baldy said:

Motherwell are not unbeatable, especially away from home and, despite losing to HIbs last week, we are still one of the better teams at home.

Average attendance is 5588. Not too bad considering. 

Hard one to predict against a half decent Motherwell side. 

I thought these next 4 games were our best chance of getting some much needed points on the board. Would probably settle for a draw in this one , providing we follow it up with a win against Hamilton. 

WTF, Wednesday. I thought it was on Tuesday. I knocked back work on Tuesday to go and can't get out of another game on Wednesday. F'in bassas.

14 minutes ago, cockles1987 said:

WTF, Wednesday. I thought it was on Tuesday. I knocked back work on Tuesday to go and can't get out of another game on Wednesday. F'in bassas. emoji24.png

Could be worse, you could be the Morton fan that went all the way to Brora for the cup replay a week early 😂

1 hour ago, munoz said:

Average attendance is 5588. Not too bad considering. 

Hard one to predict against a half decent Motherwell side. 

I thought these next 4 games were our best chance of getting some much needed points on the board. Would probably settle for a draw in this one , providing we follow it up with a win against Hamilton. 

The website I use says 5587 - no doubt a rounding up/down issue.

https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/scottish-premiership/attendances

Obviously the website I use is correct. :P

Gonna be a tough match and indeed a tough month, I hope we can get to the transfer window in at least the same position as we are now and trust that after 6 months collaboration GM & JG have a "good window" - fine tuning and a hopefully a bit more upfront this January rather than the major reconstruction we needed last season.

Edited by Bud the Baker

Our home game v Motherwell last season was also a Wednesday, monty f**k SPFL!!!

I believe after the Jan break we have only 1 home fixture scheduled for a Saturday at 3.00 and that is Rangers which will probably be moved.

Really do feel it is becoming ridiculous.

Will need to think about season ticket for next Season.

I believe after the Jan break we have only 1 home fixture scheduled for a Saturday at 3.00 and that is Rangers which will probably be moved.
Correct, between now and the league split in April we have ONE Saturday 3pm home league game.
It's our next game after Wednesday, Livingston on December 14th.

9 minutes ago, guinness said:

Look on the bright side. It could be worse. All our home games next year might be 3pm KO.

8 minutes ago, guinness said:

That's a very good point. I've always just thought of it being at bit of a pain the neck, especially for people who don't live in the Paisley area, but you're right, if this keeps up it could have a massive impact on people's desire to buy season tickets.

Given the last two games where we were unable to take anything from two poor sides on the day even with territorial advantage, I can see nothing but a drubbing in this one. We simply can't score regularly enough to get anything from this. Surely there must be some youngster in our ranks who knows where the f'n goal is and can direct a shot on target but away from the opposition keeper. 

1 hour ago, stlucifer said:

Given the last two games where we were unable to take anything from two poor sides on the day even with territorial advantage, I can see nothing but a drubbing in this one. We simply can't score regularly enough to get anything from this. Surely there must be some youngster in our ranks who knows where the f'n goal is and can direct a shot on target but away from the opposition keeper. 

Squad is unbalanced  ,too many midfielders using up wages that could be put to use to sign a striker. any striker  that knows what that role entails .

We have youngsters to put on the bench to keep costs down ,but get a striker!

And the Academy should be instructed  that the priority  is strikers ,not midfield players!

Watching the highlights of Well against the Fakes made me a bit scared. Hylton and Cole look way better than our strike-force and they have Hartley and Gallagher who are a big threat at set pieces too. The lad Scott looks fast and decent too. Then they bring on a late sub Mazinga and he hits his shot into the net rather than straight at the keeper or over the bar like ours regularly do.

Then you also have to consider they scored 4 against the leagues worst defence - generally ours is a bit better. (except for the Hearts game)

The point I am making is that they are pretty good at scoring goals and in the air in both boxes....

So for a good result - our defending from front to back will have to be very good, and we will have to hit their net, probably with shots rather than headers etc. (wait and see Maclouchlin prove me wrong)

Much as a point would be a decent one, 3 would give us a huge boost in morale and league position too...

Saints   2  v 1   Well  

1 hour ago, Sweeper07 said:

Watching the highlights of Well against the Fakes made me a bit scared. Hylton and Cole look way better than our strike-force and they have Hartley and Gallagher who are a big threat at set pieces too. The lad Scott looks fast and decent too. Then they bring on a late sub Mazinga and he hits his shot into the net rather than straight at the keeper or over the bar like ours regularly do. 

Not much to be better than to be honest. 

Well then according to JG, we are not looking for a striker in January as we don't have £5 - 10k per week to get one that would be the standard we need - AND

"we are well covered in that area with Obika, Mullen, Morais and Cooke - plus other attacking options too" . . .  

Either the budget is spent OR he is bluffing other teams, and many Saint's fans . . .  let's hope it is the later... :magic

Just now, Sweeper07 said:

Well then according to JG, we are not looking for a striker in January as we don't have £5 - 10k per week to get one that would be the standard we need - AND

"we are well covered in that area with Obika, Mullen, Morais and Cooke - plus other attacking options too" . . .  

Either the budget is spent OR he is bluffing other teams, and many Saint's fans . . .  let's hope it is the later... :magic

If that's his honest opinion we're fcuked. :byebye

11 minutes ago, Long John Baldy said:

If that's his honest opinion we're fcuked. :byebye

Since he has returned he regularly says positive things about the players.. e.g. "I am happy with the squad".

Truth is - NAW HES NOOOW. But it does nothing for morale to shout I need 3 new strikers that will score 10 or more goals a season.

Personally I think Obika might reach 10 - more balls into areas like the one he scored from on Saturday and he will. The other 3 might score a few, but I think that is why he is trying to get Morgan. He might get 6 - 8 if we had him from January till June.

The Fakes have only scored 2 more than us, Hamilton 4 more. All the teams in the bottom six are losing more goals than us too...

He has to cut his cloth, so we will see if Mcloughlin stays and if Baird returns - looks like Kirky is out for a while...

27 minutes ago, Sweeper07 said:

Since he has returned he regularly says positive things about the players.. e.g. "I am happy with the squad".

Truth is - NAW HES NOOOW. But it does nothing for morale to shout I need 3 new strikers that will score 10 or more goals a season.

Personally I think Obika might reach 10 - more balls into areas like the one he scored from on Saturday and he will. The other 3 might score a few, but I think that is why he is trying to get Morgan. He might get 6 - 8 if we had him from January till June.

The Fakes have only scored 2 more than us, Hamilton 4 more. All the teams in the bottom six are losing more goals than us too...

He has to cut his cloth, so we will see if Mcloughlin stays and if Baird returns - looks like Kirky is out for a while...

On the flip side letting it be known he's looking to add a striker might give Obika and supporting cast a kick up the arse.

As much as our scoring record is shit, the only thing that matters is points and league position. 

1 hour ago, Sweeper07 said:

You missed out this part of his quote which suggest he could easily be trying to get someone in, albeit with limited budget.

"We don't have £5,000 or £10,000 a week to offer a striker down in England who might be a proven goalscorer that might make a difference.

"We've got to beg, steal and borrow and hope that whoever we do bring in - if that's an area on the pitch we do bring in - then we hope that they hit the ground running.

3 hours ago, Long John Baldy said:

You missed out this part of his quote which suggest he could easily be trying to get someone in, albeit with limited budget.

"We don't have £5,000 or £10,000 a week to offer a striker down in England who might be a proven goalscorer that might make a difference.

"We've got to beg, steal and borrow and hope that whoever we do bring in - if that's an area on the pitch we do bring in - then we hope that they hit the ground running.

Whilst his realism is refreshing, it’s effin depressing in equal measure. 😩

4 hours ago, Sweeper07 said:

Sweeper he never said that. The bit about the money yes but you are just reading between the lines for the rest. 

Edited by elvis