Long John Baldy

St Mirren v Motherwell, Wed 4th Dec

21 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

That shows we have 2 leagues- 4 wins in 36 games and am i right all 4 wins are against Bottom 6...……………..

I can see a large gap forming under Hibs/Killie

I don't get your points - the 2 leagues are what we must have expected (top 5, 6 or 7) and bottom 5, 6, or 7)

The 36 games is not fair on JG and the current squad, -- it might agree now, but let's see how it goes from here to the end of the season.

Hibs are not there yet either, but there will be a gap from teams in our group to teams like Killie - that's where we are at at the moment...

7 hours ago, DougJamie said:

So far with Shankland and Stewart, we are showing that not only are their decent strikers out there, we have an ability to not recognise it even when they are on our books

I’ve never understood the despair of us letting Shankland “go”. He was never on our books, he was only ever on loan. The loan spell we cut short in the second season was no loss, he’d made 17 appearances without finding the net once. His loanee replacement Rory Loy did very well for us, and at no point during the second half of the season was Shankland missed.

If he was ever a contracted player for us, then I’d agree he was let go too early. However, on loan in a difficult season where he was incapable of scoring a goal, he was no loss.

Ross Stewart I will always agree on - Jack Ross brought him in with development in mind, and Stubbs basically said “f**k that”.

aw f**k......

The match day officials for Wednesday's match against Stephen Robinson's Motherwell side are as follows:

Referee: Andrew Dallas
Assistant Referee: Ralph Gordon
Assistant Referee: Gordon Crawford
Fourth Official: William Collum

3 minutes ago, Yflab said:

aw f**k......

The match day officials for Wednesday's match against Stephen Robinson's Motherwell side are as follows:

Referee: Andrew Dallas
Assistant Referee: Ralph Gordon
Assistant Referee: Gordon Crawford
Fourth Official: William Collum

I thought Dallas played for Sevco?

2 hours ago, Sweeper07 said:

Yes - we have scored double Livi's tally over the last 6 sets of fixtures and a wee win this Wednesday would be quite something  :-

P            W             D              L              F              A                  GD                 Pts

7 St Johnstone 6 2 1 3 6 13 -7 7
LWWLDL
8 Hearts 6 1 2 3 6 12 -6 5
DdLWLL
9 Hamilton 6 0 3 3 7 11 -4 3
LLDDLd
10 St Mirren 6 1 0 5 6 13 -7 3
LLLWLL
11 Livingston 6 0 3 3 3 10 -7 3
dDLLLd
12 Ross County 6 0 2 4 7 17 -10 2
DLDLLL

Another reason this is a load of old twaddle is it doesn't show who teams have played.

Just to upset you slavering about Livingston they have played, Hamilton, Celtic, Rangers, Motherwell, Hibs & Hearts.

Oh, and they have 14 points, THAT's the stat that matters. 

Edited by Long John Baldy

Deary me...
If the height of our aspiration is to have kept the Human Bean pole Ross Stewart to score six or more in a season we are in the brown smelly stuff up to our eats.
Feck me just about any striker at a club will get he a dozen in a season if that team scores more than six!

2 hours ago, Sweeper07 said:

Just checked and Obika has scored 3 goals in his last 7 games - so almost 1 in every two games - I'd settle for that from him for the rest of the season!!  

Brilliant, forget all the previous games..............................jeezo, simple minds right enough. :hammer

Yes he regularly gives himself a new signature and simple minds is his latest one.

The point is it takes players time to settle and get to know their team makes likely moves... Obika is now showing good progress . . .

3 hours ago, TPAFKATS said:

The goal rate isn't purely the responsibility of the strikers. The whole team contributes to both creating chances and scoring goals.

We are improving.

On that we agree.

Plenty of reasons, seems to me we set out on the back foot more often than not, giving the whole team less opportunities? 

The expected improvement from both Edinburgh teams seems to only have happened for Hibs, new manager bounce and all that. 

Hearts have offered some guy the job, let's hope they don;t get that bounce, although we never got it last season, so it's not a done deal. 

8 minutes ago, Sweeper07 said:

Yes he regularly gives himself a new signature and simple minds is his latest one.

The point is it takes players time to settle and get to know their team makes likely moves... Obika is now showing good progress . . .

First line, and not for the first time, makes no sense. 

Does it? 

Plenty seem to manage this part of their job, and score more than 3 by December.

You don't half talk some shite. :hammer

31 minutes ago, Long John Baldy said:

First line, and not for the first time, makes no sense. 

Does it? 

Plenty seem to manage this part of their job, and score more than 3 by December.

You don't half talk some shite. :hammer

Obika's all round play has been decent enough to date. He has missed a few chances that he should probably have done better with, but overall he's getting better the more he's played. For me he needs better supply from the more creative players midfielders in the team.

2 minutes ago, munoz said:

Obika's all round play has been decent enough to date. He has missed a few chances that he should probably have done better with, but overall he's getting better the more he's played. For me he needs better supply from the more creative players midfielders in the team.

I've said that many times in the last month.

Just to keep people happy I will say it again, hold up play and effort has been good, if we had a striker he would be, in my opinion, a very good support.

Unfortunately HE's our main striker and, at this point, isn't doing it, again in my opinion. 

I also said a few posts further up the rest of the team have a part to play, as does the manager who, so far, has not shown much to help me feel he has the ability to win games. 

From the Scotsman this morning ...

Interest in Stewart

Blackburn Rovers and Stoke City are monitoring the progress of Ross County striker Ross Stewart. Both clubs have watched the player in action with a view to making a January move.

and

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/stoke-city-blackburn-chase-ross-21017692

Edited by Sonny

Interest in Stewart
Blackburn Rovers and Stoke City are monitoring the progress of Ross County striker Ross Stewart. Both clubs have watched the player in action with a view to making a January move.
and
https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/stoke-city-blackburn-chase-ross-21017692
I have the salt & pepper at the ready to season my hat if either of those clubs come in for the bean pole!

16 hours ago, Lord Pityme said:

Deary me...
If the height of our aspiration is to have kept the Human Bean pole Ross Stewart to score six or more in a season we are in the brown smelly stuff up to our eats.
Feck me just about any striker at a club will get he a dozen in a season if that team scores more than six!

Strange how only 2 players outside the two cheeks managed it last season - again more nonsense supposition. Only Cosgrove has managed to score with any regularity at this level outside the OF !

17 hours ago, Long John Baldy said:

Another reason this is a load of old twaddle is it doesn't show who teams have played.

Just to upset you slavering about Livingston they have played, Hamilton, Celtic, Rangers, Motherwell, Hibs & Hearts.

Oh, and they have 14 points, THAT's the stat that matters. 

Don't let facts get in the way of your point :lol:

Sweeper should work as a Saints Spin Doctor- Obika will get 20 goals- Aye by 2025 he may well

1 hour ago, Lord Pityme said:
2 hours ago, Sonny said:
Interest in Stewart
and

I have the salt & pepper at the ready to season my hat if either of those clubs come in for the bean pole!

Can you wear a hat with all those electrodes attached to your head ?

2 hours ago, DougJamie said:

Don't let facts get in the way of your point :lol:

Sweeper should work as a Saints Spin Doctor- Obika will get 20 goals- Aye by 2025 he may well

I thought I was pushing it saying he'd get into double figures - but you are now doubling that - you for real?  🕶️

I know that you are saying by 2025 but if that's his scoring rate he won't be here till then.

Edited by Sweeper07

Don't think were playing that bad. Creating the chances just can't put them away. A bit of luck in front of goal and I think we can win. Out played Hibs And Aberdeen. Broadfoot still out. Bit worried about McKenzie and the amount of games. 4 in 2 weeks. So going for a 1.0 win.

Don't think were playing that bad. Creating the chances just can't put them away. A bit of luck in front of goal and I think we can win. Out played Hibs And Aberdeen. Broadfoot still out. Bit worried about McKenzie and the amount of games. 4 in 2 weeks. So going for a 1.0 win.

But will this run of just being unlucky run out?
Or to put it another way, was that as good as it gets?