Long John Baldy

St Mirren v Motherwell, Wed 4th Dec

12 minutes ago, Julian Banjos said:

The scary thing is that, as well as McGinn not being a centre-half, there's a strong argument that Macpherson isn't a right back.

"Makeshift" would be generous in describing that defence and it may well be what we'll have to go with in the next few games.

If Kirk Broadfoot is out for another 2 weeks we must be looking at free agents. Just googled that free agent site and the ex Celtic and Sunderland player Loovens is on it as is Muzek. The back 4 that finished tonight are no where near strong enough. 

Bring in 2 seasoned pros, go 4 4 2 and start kicking the shite out of teams.

Sorted.

Edited by magnus

1 minute ago, magnus said:

If Kirk Broadfoot is out for another 2 weeks we must be looking at free agents. Just googled that free agent site and the ex Celtic and Sunderland player Loovens is on it as is Muzek. The back 4 that finished tonight are no where near string enough. 

Sorted.

Not a bad idea. Waiting till the window opens might be too late. 

If Kirk Broadfoot is out for another 2 weeks we must be looking at free agents. Just googled that free agent site and the ex Celtic and Sunderland player Loovens is on it as is Muzek. The back 4 that finished tonight are no where near strong enough. 
Sorted.
Free agents will be struggling for fitness. Baird is a centre-half, experienced at this level and our player!

It really is madness that we find ourselves in this position going into games against Hamilton, Livi and St J. Huge, huge fixtures for us.

You have to hope there's a clause that allows Baird to be recalled immediately.

1 minute ago, Julian Banjos said:

Free agents will be struggling for fitness. Baird is a centre-half, experienced at this level and our player!

It really is madness that we find ourselves in this position going into games against Hamilton, Livi and St J. Huge, huge fixtures for us.

Dont think there is that type of clause Bud. Hope there is. 

2 minutes ago, Julian Banjos said:

We will get beat in every one of them the food bank was never going to get anything from those donations. 

Well, we're at that time of the year aren't we? That part where the luck the manager of that season talks about in interviews never comes and the fans start to lose faith. Bring on the annual January recruitment dash.

Signs show we are slipping backwards. The 'solid defence' is not very solid without Broadfoot at all. Waters is probably League 1 level at very best - man down every week with him starting. Magennis and Andreu are the invisible men most week. McGinn has nobody playing within 15 yards of him and ends up passing backwards. Midfield non existent without Foley. What is the point of Obika? Can't jump, can't direct headers, bullied off the ball, runs into people... Mullen out wide is bonkers also - to be honest he blows very hot and cold and probably would be on the bench if we had a vastness of options.

Start with a 4-3-3 and are losing the midfield. 2 goals down and no change of formation or personnel (bar injury). Start the second half with same formation and players who do not look as if they have a clue as to what they should be doing. Finally changes to 4-4-2 to match up Well when 3-0 down. What is that all about Jim when it ain't working but we still keep on doing it?

We have too many passengers due to diabolical recruitment. Why does the bystander Andreu get a game? Obika is poor and Waters had a hat-trick of errors tonight for each of their goals. No running off the ball, no closing down, too slow in the build up, no passion. This is a relegation squad.

Its not really happened for us this season and Saturday is a huge game but where has it been said that Goody gets sacked should we lose 
Just my opinion. Lose and he should get sacked. Team is abysmal and he is largely to blame.

I knew Foley would be a big miss but that was dreadful

We are soft as shite teams are now just going through us

No ideas going forward

No promising young players going through either judging by utter pumping the reserves took on Mon

No hard luck stories the club is a mess all over

We are now struggling for a centre back on Sat when we are up against the most aggressive team in the league

Looks like the foodbank ain't get any joy soon

The players should donate after that performance

Goody has talked about patterns of play that are being worked on. Well, our pattern seems to pass the ball in a horseshoe shape. One wing, back to full back, on to centre half and over to the other wing. Then repeat.

Out thought by a fitter, stronger and more organised outfit that are well drilled. The blue print for us.

concern is building. Despite what others thought, we weren’t great against Hibs and our one crum of comfort (home form) has evaporated.

edit - Magennis poor again. Don’t recall him completing a pass.

Edited by aldo_j

42 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

You'd struggle to make a case for Cammy being a footballer full stop.

Probably the youngest player in the side, subbed on out of position, didn't play any worse than the more experienced pros...

Every player was dross tonight and that's your gripe? Bizarre if you ask me

11 minutes ago, Ronnie said:
37 minutes ago, paisleysaint1973 said:
Its not really happened for us this season and Saturday is a huge game but where has it been said that Goody gets sacked should we lose 

Just my opinion. Lose and he should get sacked. Team is abysmal and he is largely to blame.

Your right i love Goody but it seems a bridge too far right now there is no cohesion in the team we seem to have regressed in our home form and away is absolutely turgid i have 3 possibly 4 tickets for the game on saturday 2 adult 2 children and it is looking like a 3 of the 4 maybe cant make it i was going to put up a post if someone wanted a wee bit cheaper day out on saturday i can meet them for reduced price tickets for 3 possibly 4 but i would probably get laughed at lol 

Sorry but I disagree. However hard the current situation is, the last thing the club needs is another new manager to replace one we sacked, both from a financial and continuity perspective.
We desperately need stability, and that means sticking with JG even if we end up being relegated.

In saying that, we need to beat Accies on Saturday. Not draw, not lose, but win. And by a margin.

For me foley absence led inadvertently to a far stronger performance by magennis in that area. This was the only positive. Mackenzie going off led to makeshift defence but both goals first half were down the left. We have no pace and our passing is poor. Balls in from wing are very poor and attack is anonymous as is midfield. That was a stroll for Motherwell. Next three games will have huge influence on our destiny and am not confident we will pick up much. Real test for Goodwin now. We cannot buy our way out of this. Can he identify a decent alternative without money? Are there other players in reserves and not getting a shot who should be brought in? Why did we re sign mcallister? Just as well most saints fans have a sense of humour to get us through this turgid game. This is not enjoyable.

16 minutes ago, Sonny said:

Start with a 4-3-3 and are losing the midfield. 2 goals down and no change of formation or personnel (bar injury). Start the second half with same formation and players who do not look as if they have a clue as to what they should be doing. Finally changes to 4-4-2 to match up Well when 3-0 down. What is that all about Jim when it ain't working but we still keep on doing it?

We have too many passengers due to diabolical recruitment. Why does the bystander Andreu get a game? Obika is poor and Waters had a hat-trick of errors tonight for each of their goals. No running off the ball, no closing down, too slow in the build up, no passion. This is a relegation squad.

JG appears to be very reluctant to admit and rectify mistakes. Changes should've been made at half time if not before.

Spot on with regards to second paragraph

Well that was a disgrace. Apologies if I'm repeating anyone but didn't read the thread. Tonight proves a few things. Foley is the glue that keeps us together. Hladky, McLaughlin and Flynn are competent. The rest can get in the sea. Also the subs were baffling, not for the first time. I could tear the rest to pieces but that would be pointless. Obika has feet made of lego and not sure if Mullen touched the ball in 90 mins. Andreu is a liability bereft of confidence and McGinn (S) has been towing a bloody caravan for the last 18 months, managing to lose a goal with a sideways pass tonight. Oops I've started to tear people to pieces. Far from good enough. Worrying times.