Long John Baldy

St Mirren v Livingston, Sat 14th Dec

1 hour ago, TopCat said:

One of the most bizarre comments I’ve ever seen from him, and that really is saying something.

Oh look at me i'm important, everybody look at me! Over here look at me!

Two words that'll forever sum up how clueless you are: "Tick tock"

:rolleyes:

20 minutes ago, W6Saint said:

Building his fitness for 5 months. Jesus fkn wept!

That's up there with Stephen McGinn's 18 month injury

You do realise that he got a cruciate ligament injury that kept him out of the game for the whole of last season, from October onwards.

Obviously you have no idea how long it takes to reach full fitness after such an injury.

Edited by FTOF

9 minutes ago, FTOF said:

You do realise that he got a cruciate ligament injury that kept him out of the game for the whole of last season, from October onwards.

Obviously you have no idea how long it takes to reach full fitness after such an injury.

So we signed a player that we KNEW would take over 4 months to get fit? 

:lol:

That was exciting to watch !!!!

However saw something I don't recall seeing anywhere before, notably in 2nd half (sitting in South Stand)

When they were taking long throw-in to our box Hladky positioned himself at the outside edge of 6 yard box, to side of goal.

This left the entire goal empty with no-one else covering the line, he took up this position for every throw coming in. Never got any and ran the risk of someone flicking  over him.

Did anyone else notice  ? Why leave an empty goal !?

Edited by woiiftm
poor set

6 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Fs, to join the list, now we have a resident physiotherapist.

FYI every player recovers differently. It's not as if he was part time having to do the recovery himself. His injury happened in October and has had all the facilities necessary for those 12 months.

Of course neither me nor you know the full facts but I highly doubt Goody has been playing an unfit player every week for half a season with options there, including a striker we paid a fee for!

RE Baird, i do agree it was a mistake. Tough one to call though.

He was essentially 4th choice centre back, behind McLoughlin, Broadfoot and McKenzie. The only way he would have featured is if 2 of them had became unavailable, which of course has happened. You can understand why he and Jim decided to loan him out to get game time.

Also P McGinn is a capable centre back, and him also not being available created the perfect storm of defensive unavailability today.

Safe to say Jack will be home in a few weeks and I expect he will get a lot of minutes for us between January and May
The mistake would also mean McGinn moving to C/H leaving us with no back R/H. Baird going was a stupid move to save a few grand that had likely cost us points in the last 3 home games.

32 minutes ago, woiiftm said:

However saw something I don't recall seeing anywhere before, notably in 2nd half (sitting in South Stand)

When they were taking long throw-in to our box Hladky positioned himself at the outside edge of 6 yard box, to side of goal.

This left the entire goal empty with no-one else covering the line, he took up this position for every throw coming in. Never got any and ran the risk of someone flicking  over him.

Normally rock solid, I thought today was his least confident performance to date. His positioning once or twice had my heart in my mouth. Still a class keeper though. 

9 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

Normally rock solid, I thought today was his least confident performance to date. His positioning once or twice had my heart in my mouth. Still a class keeper though. 

Contradiction.

43 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

I'd agree, think the conditions contributed a bit to it also.

2 hours ago, FTOF said:

I've defended Obika, in the light of comments made by a couple of posters telling us that he isn't a football player.

It was patently obvious that he was building up his fitness and adapting to the Scottish game.

He's been a great signing for us, and will only get better.

Having said that, I'd like to see him hold up the ball a wee bit better.

Morias has come on leaps and bounds, now that he's had run in the team. Defenders must hate playing against him. The level of commitment that he shows is incredible.

I had a good laugh at him going mental at Durmus in the first half for not sticking to his role, when Livingston had a free kick. The air was blue!🤬

I'd agree on both Obika and Morais. Now doing what they were brought here for and showing that they have previously played at a decent level.

Cooke also showed up when he came on. 

Having said that I would still strengthen in the forward area come Jan.

1 minute ago, the barrhead teacher said:

Wasn't there today so respect comment based on what has been said here. Fantastic comeback, accept defence was reflection of injuries. But ultimately we have lost two points to relegation rivals at home. Disappointing.

Given the chaos of last year and early season, we have come back and won a point even though we played 2 usual 1st team defenders.

We have MacK, Kirk, P. McGinn, Foley all out injured and we came back from 3 to 1 down... not sure if disappointing is the right word !

1 hour ago, woiiftm said:

He's a fast runner. :whistle

Not sure on other poster's view...
It doesn't make a difference how he scores. He's a striker he's there to score goals... although apparently not according to some when he wasn't scoring :wink:
Today was hardly a masterclass though. He done really well for the Morias goal - extreme fortune for both his in my eyes. There's never been any doubt from this end that he'd grab his share of goals with scrappy balls into the box etc
It's the other aspects of the game like winning headers, holding the ball up, when to pass that he frustrates IMO
Having said that if he wants to score 2 goals every game and lie asleep in the goalmouth for the other 85 mins he's more than welcome!

Regarding your comment “if he wants to score 2 goals every game and lie asleep in the goalmouth for the other 85 mins he's more than welcome!”
I totally agree. I believe a certain Ally McCoist was accused of this and he didn’t do too bad. Not that I’m comparing Obika to McCoist in the scoring stakes before I get shot down.

5 hours ago, woiiftm said:

That was worrying for sure!

Also... he has two fumbles today... a thing I have never ever seen from him.

Till now, I thought he has superglue on his gloves.

Conditions or pressure of a £300,000 bid?

Still the best keeper I've seen at Saints!

Was unable to make the game yesterday and had to go out just after Livi's third goal - was delighted to find out we'd come back to draw the game. :clapping

Good to see both Morias & Obika on the scoresheet after both receiving much criticism -a while back I predicted Obika would end up with 5-10 goals by the end of the season (a decent total for a bottom 6 striker) it'd be nice to see Obika get and even exceed 10 goals. 

8 hours ago, W6Saint said:

Building his fitness for 5 months. Jesus fkn wept!

That's up there with Stephen McGinn's 18 month injury

I don't think it was fitness building.

What I do believe though is that he had to take some time to adapt to differences up here. Strikers get a lot less time than they do in the English lower leagues and have to adapt to that. Some can and some can't. It looks like Obika is now aware of this and is managing to adapt.

Prime example of this is Cosgrove at Aberdeen, something like 16 games before he was off the mark and a figure of fun. He gets his first goals (funnily enough against us) and he's barely stopped since.

Doidge at Hibs appears to be another who didn't score in his first 8 or 9 and is now rattling them in.

8 hours ago, woiiftm said:

Yeah, noticed it. Wondered WTF he was playing at.

My mate also got at me in the pub after the game for suggesting Hladky should have done a lot more at Livi's second (as should the defence)....bread and butter ball right into his usual punching area and he was really out of character by standing rooted to his line.

Having seen it back on the highlights video above though, yeah, no chance he's punching a ball coming in as low as  that. Defence is solely at fault for going to sleep.

Edited by djchapsticks

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

Yeah, noticed it. Wondered WTF he was playing at.

My mate also got at me in the pub after the game for suggesting Hladky should have done a lot more at Livi's second (as should the defence)....bread and butter ball right into his usual punching area and he was really out of character by standing rooted to his line.

Having seen it back on the highlights video above though, yeah, no chance he's punching a ball coming in as low as  that. Defence is solely at fault for going to sleep.

Yeah, I thought the same at the time, but seeing it again it's definitely not his ball and I'm afraid it's Glover who completely loses his man and gives him a free header. The one where I actually thought he should have done better is the first. Ok, mistake by Glover then Flynn, so he's probably not expecting it, but it feels to me that his positioning is off and he's made it too easy for the Livi player to hit that corner.

Anyway, from 3-1 down to 3-3 means you can't complain too much, but I do think it took us way too long to adapt to the conditions. It wasn't a day for football, it was a day for humping it towards the box and making sure the inevitable mistakes happened in their half and not ours. Livi worked that out way earlier than we did!