Long John Baldy

St Mirren v Livingston, Sat 14th Dec

There were players covering the line. Think the thought process is to help prevent the flick ons from the long throw and to that effect it probably helped but I take your point if they did get a flick we would have been struggling. Clearly a premeditated tactic though.

That was exciting to watch !!!!
However saw something I don't recall seeing anywhere before, notably in 2nd half (sitting in South Stand)
When they were taking long throw-in to our box Hladky positioned himself at the outside edge of 6 yard box, to side of goal.
This left the entire goal empty with no-one else covering the line, he took up this position for every throw coming in. Never got any and ran the risk of someone flicking  over him.
Did anyone else notice  ? Why leave an empty goal !?

10 hours ago, faraway saint said:

So we signed a player that we KNEW would take over 4 months to get fit? 

:lol:

Yes, if he had been fully fit there was no why would have got him. We took a gamble that is now looking like it is going to pay off

3 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Yeah, noticed it. Wondered WTF he was playing at.

My mate also got at me in the pub after the game for suggesting Hladky should have done a lot more at Livi's second (as should the defence)....bread and butter ball right into his usual punching area and he was really out of character by standing rooted to his line.

Having seen it back on the highlights video above though, yeah, no chance he's punching a ball coming in as low as  that. Defence is solely at fault for going to sleep.

I thought that at the time as well as the view from the family stand is decieving

He had no chance the ball never came in the 6 yard area just poor defending

6 hours ago, BuddieinEK said:

That was worrying for sure!

Also... he has two fumbles today... a thing I have never ever seen from him.

Till now, I thought he has superglue on his gloves.

Conditions or pressure of a £300,000 bid?

Still the best keeper I've seen at Saints!

He certainly didn't look his usual composed self yesterday, although conditions were horrendous. Question is though, do you take the alleged 300k in Jan, or nothing in the summer? 

8 minutes ago, Sonny said:

Obika hadn't played any football most of last season thru a bad injury and hadn't done any pre-season when he signed for us. So it was always going to take time for him to get up to match fitness.

Four and a half months? 

Jeezo, hope he doesn't get any other injuries. 

I don't think it was fitness building.
What I do believe though is that he had to take some time to adapt to differences up here. Strikers get a lot less time than they do in the English lower leagues and have to adapt to that. Some can and some can't. It looks like Obika is now aware of this and is managing to adapt.
Prime example of this is Cosgrove at Aberdeen, something like 16 games before he was off the mark and a figure of fun. He gets his first goals (funnily enough against us) and he's barely stopped since.
Doidge at Hibs appears to be another who didn't score in his first 8 or 9 and is now rattling them in.
Doidge at Hibs recent run of goals bear a similarity to Obika's i.e they owe alot to luck rather than skill.

His recent sitter in first minute v Aberdeen was poor and still think he will miss a few more this season but hopefully his lucky goals streak carries on to at least the winter break.

1 hour ago, barrhead saint said:

He certainly didn't look his usual composed self yesterday, although conditions were horrendous. Question is though, do you take the alleged 300k in Jan, or nothing in the summer? 

Take the money!

Open the box!  (One for our older readers there.)

Doidge at Hibs recent run of goals bear a similarity to Obika's i.e they owe alot to luck rather than skill.

His recent sitter in first minute v Aberdeen was poor and still think he will miss a few more this season but hopefully his lucky goals streak carries on to at least the winter break.
Was his overhead kick against St. Johnstone lucky?
All strikers score lucky goals and all strikers miss chances. If he scored every chance he had he wouldn't be playing at our level.
His goal to shots ratio will be decent, he was getting a hard time earlier in the season despite the team not actually creating many chances.

3 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Can't agree at all with that.

One of the biggest criticisms of Obika previously was that he simply wasn't getting shots away in his first 6 or 7 games and you can't score if you don't test the keeper. 

I want a number 9 to be having a crack at every half chance he gets, getting his toe on as many as possible. So if he's hitting sclaffed shots into the ground or deflected efforts that squeak in, I'm absolutely fine with that.

Was his overhead kick against St. Johnstone lucky?
All strikers score lucky goals and all strikers miss chances. If he scored every chance he had he wouldn't be playing at our level.
His goal to shots ratio will be decent, he was getting a hard time earlier in the season despite the team not actually creating many chances.
Read it again. I compared his RECENT goals the 3 from yesterday and Pittodrie owed alot to luck which I have no problem with.

Me too I have no problem how he scores goals as long as he scores just giving an opinion that the most recent 3 have been very lucky.

Can't agree at all with that.
One of the biggest criticisms of Obika previously was that he simply wasn't getting shots away in his first 6 or 7 games and you can't score if you don't test the keeper. 
I want a number 9 to be having a crack at every half chance he gets, getting his toe on as many as possible. So if he's hitting sclaffed shots into the ground or deflected efforts that squeak in, I'm absolutely fine with that.

Tricky.

The points he can earn us could be worth a lot more than £300,000.

On form, he's the best keeper we've had.

I'd keep him unless we have unearthed a worthy replacement.

10 hours ago, BuddieinEK said:

That was worrying for sure!

Also... he has two fumbles today... a thing I have never ever seen from him.

Till now, I thought he has superglue on his gloves.

Conditions or pressure of a £300,000 bid?

Still the best keeper I've seen at Saints!

Campbell Money everyday of the week...

12 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Me too I have no problem how he scores goals as long as he scores just giving an opinion that the most recent 3 have been very lucky.

Defo mate, scored a decent overhead kick but yet to see him strike a ball cleanly at goal. Kind of player who will now go 10 games without a goal. His general play and positional play is honking.

Tricky.

The points he can earn us could be worth a lot more than £300,000.

On form, he's the best keeper we've had.

I'd keep him unless we have unearthed a worthy replacement.
I can't think of any points he had won for us so far this season compared to last season. If 300K is correct, we should take it since that would help to strengthen at least 4 positions for the rest of the season.