St Mirren v Broxburn Athletic 18/1/20

munoz

34 minutes ago, munoz said:

Should play our strongest team in this game. If that happens,  I can't see Cooke and Mullen starting.  

Got to be the strongest team since we don't have reserved players like Liverpool  :o

It also give those players plus any new players a run out after the winter break, before we play again in the league.

1 hour ago, Doakes said:

1600 is a class support for a junior club, doesn't matter who they usually support - will get right behind their town on the day

And we'll get right behind ours :D

No we won't. 

If we did the game would be a sellout and tens of thousands would be locked out. 

Our Town and County are majority bigots and support Sevco and Celtic 

It's shouldn't happen. 

1 minute ago, St.Ricky said:

Team selection is beginning to look interesting with new players coming in. Our first chance to get sight of them. 

Should add some interest to what already looks like a good cup tie. 

30 minutes ago, munoz said:

Should add some interest to what already looks like a good cup tie. 

It's a great opportunity get a big win, score a few goals and get some confidence for the critical period coming up.

This lot, despite a decent support, are 6th in their league.

They do have games in hand but, surely, this is a stick on home victory? 

Can't be many teams from the top league lose to teams of this level and we don't want to be one of them. 

1 minute ago, faraway saint said:

It's a great opportunity get a big win, score a few goals and get some confidence for the critical period coming up.

Can't be many teams from the top league lose to teams of this level and we don't want to be one of them. 

Great opportunity to progress and I think we will quite easily.  That said , I thought the same away to Spartans years ago. 

6-1 Saints. 

16 minutes ago, munoz said:

Great opportunity to progress and I think we will quite easily.  That said , I thought the same away to Spartans years ago. 

6-1 Saints. 

Aye but JG is more attack minded recently than what we were back then..

I think 6 - 1 is a decent call, but really hope we don't concede at all...

6 - nil the Saints

22 minutes ago, Sweeper07 said:

Aye but JG is more attack minded recently than what we were back then..

I think 6 - 1 is a decent call, but really hope we don't concede at all...

6 - nil the Saints

Wow. I'll take any kind of win and a decent, winnable tie in the next round. Preferably at home. 

14 hours ago, faraway saint said:

And now we have three new players in. A win please and a decent home tie for the next round. No "H" day.. Please. 

A special match against a Team we may never play again.

Broxburn are hyper about coming to Paisley. 

Let's offer them a memento of the day like having   a special Cover for the Match Programme which would commemorate the Tie for both Clubs. 

Aim for a 8/10 or a 9/10.

1 hour ago, Julian Banjos said:

Broxburn have sold all their tickets now. A wee boost to our coffers....

And should make for good atmosphere. 

Fair play to them - bringing an away support clubs like Hamilton,  St Johnstone and Livi could only dream of. 

1 hour ago, Julian Banjos said:

I see their game today is postponed. Here's their results since the Invururie Locos cup tie:

7/12 = 1-2 loss v Penicuik (H)
14/12 = 3-2 win v Dundonald (A)
21/12 = 1-1 v Boness (A)
4/1 = 3-1 win v Blackburn (H)

They're 6th in their league.

Their draw against Bo'ness,  the team at the top of the league... And they have 3 games in hand and by winning them could be in 2nd place  

But we ought to be a lot better than that standard - right?

Their draw against Bo'ness,  the team at the top of the league... And they have 3 games in hand and by winning them could be in 2nd place  [emoji460]
Very similar standard to Linlithgow Rose. They put up a decent fight at home to Falkirk in the 3rd round but eventually lost to 4-1.

5 minutes ago, Julian Banjos said:
31 minutes ago, Sweeper07 said:
Their draw against Bo'ness,  the team at the top of the league... And they have 3 games in hand and by winning them could be in 2nd place  emoji460.png

Very similar standard to Linlithgow Rose. They put up a decent fight at home to Falkirk in the 3rd round but eventually lost to 4-1.

I watched Falkirk play Dumbarton ladt week. They played decent footbsll for a team two leagues below ours. You and sweeper are right. We should be and are better than both but a cup game is a cup game. Losing would be close to unthinkable but Ayr United losing comes to mind. Worth turning out for imo. 

7 hours ago, Sweeper07 said:

Their draw against Bo'ness,  the team at the top of the league... And they have 3 games in hand and by winning them could be in 2nd place  

I think it’s also worth noting they narrowly missed out on promotion last season (as did Penicuik). IIRC they faced Bonnyrigg in the promotion playoffs after winning their respective leagues. Bonnyrigg won, and are now flying high in the Lowland League - indeed higher than East Kilbride.

I think Broxburn are better than a fair number of the Lowland League teams. Yes we should still win it, but then we said the same about Albion Rovers and East Kilbride...