St Mirren v Broxburn Athletic 18/1/20

munoz

3 hours ago, MenstrieSaint said:

Your probably right , but maybe with tickets for a fiver for old codgers and youngsters , a couple of new signings on from the start and a wee of build up as the week goes on , we might get there .

Old codgers of the world unite and get down to watch the best team in Renfrewshire for a mere £5.

10 hours ago, Eric Arthur Blair said:

Entered the league in 1921./22 season. The cup game v Saints was the 1920/21 season when Armadale were still non-league.

So, to summarise, not much chance we can lose to this lot, despite some supporters getting nervous, on Saturday? 

Seems it's happened twice in about a hunner years, and not in most peoples lifetime.

13 hours ago, Eric Arthur Blair said:

Entered the league in 1921./22 season. The cup game v Saints was the 1920/21 season when Armadale were still non-league.

Thank you Stato. 

I recall Ayr having problems with a certain Junior team. It happens. 

Approach the game properly, work hard and there is every reason to believe that we will win. 

23 hours ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

Utd brought 1500 a round further on last season and we still couldn't manage 4000. Given the opposition 4000 would be a decent crowd.

We were in the depths of a slump last January though, loads of angst and playing a side we'd seen a bit too regularly over the last few seasons.

We are going into this one with a wee bit of optimism about the club, 3 new signings, a relatively settled squad and the novelty of playing a team no-one has ever seen us facing. I'd like to think we'll pull 4,500-5,000 given 1,600 will be away fans.

15 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

We were in the depths of a slump last January though, loads of angst and playing a side we'd seen a bit too regularly over the last few seasons.

We are going into this one with a wee bit of optimism about the club, 3 new signings, a relatively settled squad and the novelty of playing a team no-one has ever seen us facing. I'd like to think we'll pull 4,500-5,000 given 1,600 will be away fans.

I hope you're right, the bigger the crowd the better for us, especially if we get off to a flyer.

1 minute ago, faraway saint said:

I hope you're right, the bigger the crowd the better for us, especially if we get off to a flyer.

And I honestly hope every one of the away supporters enjoy their day out watching their team...I expect them to sing, bounce about and go mental for the full 90 minutes, regardless of the outcome. It's hard not to sound condescending whilst saying that but it's genuinely encouraging to see so many folk come out for a game like this....there will be a lot of attention cast towards the match and we are rightly, not going to be the focus. Everyone in Scotland who is not a Saints fan will want us to lose and rightly so. I'd be wanting them to turn over any team that wasn't us too.

There will be folk in that crowd who have followed them for 40, 50 years who probably always wanted to see them having a pop at a top flight senior team outwith a friendly or testimonial environment (especially as they were junior until 2 years ago) and this is their moment to enjoy.

1 minute ago, djchapsticks said:

And I honestly hope every one of the away supporters enjoy their day out watching their team...I expect them to sing, bounce about and go mental for the full 90 minutes, regardless of the outcome. It's hard not to sound condescending whilst saying that but it's genuinely encouraging to see so many folk come out for a game like this....there will be a lot of attention cast towards the match and we are rightly, not going to be the focus. Everyone in Scotland who is not a Saints fan will want us to lose and rightly so. I'd be wanting them to turn over any team that wasn't us too.

There will be folk in that crowd who have followed them for 40, 50 years who probably always wanted to see them having a pop at a top flight senior team outwith a friendly or testimonial environment (especially as they were junior until 2 years ago) and this is their moment to enjoy.

let's hope we don't be too cautious, if they get comfortable, well, I dread to think.

Exciting, but only if we win comfortably. :wink:

1 minute ago, faraway saint said:

let's hope we don't be too cautious, if they get comfortable, well, I dread to think.

Exciting, but only if we win comfortably. :wink:

To be fair, I remember a few similar nerves before Lothian Thistle in 2017. 

We were 7-0 up at half time. Broxburn are apparently a better side than LTHV were but still, you'd hope it will be nothing other than comfortable.

Speaking of that game, time for a random rant.

I walked into William Hill in Gilmour Street before leaving on train for Edinburgh that day and asked for a price on a Gavin Reilly hat-trick as the odds weren't showing online. I was told after a few minutes of the girl behind the counter checking that they weren't offering additional bets other than handicaps on cup games not involving Rangers or Celtic that day. Not even, correct scores or first goalscorer bets.

I asked if they realised how much of a two-bit operation they looked in that William Hill couldn't be arsed offering comprehensive betting options.....on the WILLIAM HILL  Scottish Cup. Walked out seething with them that day but got a tenner St. Mirren -5 goals on at 8/1 and a tenner on -6 at 18/1.

So needless to say I raged as Reilly got his hat-trick and despite us being 7-0 up at half time, we conceded in 2nd half to f**k my -6 bet up. :lol:

3 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

To be fair, I remember a few similar nerves before Lothian Thistle in 2017. 

We were 7-0 up at half time. Broxburn are apparently a better side than LTHV were but still, you'd hope it will be nothing other than comfortable.

Speaking of that game, time for a random rant.

I walked into William Hill in Gilmour Street before leaving on train for Edinburgh that day and asked for a price on a Gavin Reilly hat-trick as the odds weren't showing online. I was told after a few minutes of the girl behind the counter checking that they weren't offering additional bets other than handicaps on cup games not involving Rangers or Celtic that day. Not even, correct scores or first goalscorer bets.

I asked if they realised how much of a two-bit operation they looked in that William Hill couldn't be arsed offering comprehensive betting options.....on the WILLIAM HILL  Scottish Cup. Walked out seething with them that day but got a tenner St. Mirren -5 goals on at 8/1 and a tenner on -6 at 18/1.

So needless to say I raged as Reilly got his hat-trick and despite us being 7-0 up at half time, we conceded in 2nd half to f**k my -6 bet up. :lol:

Moral of the story, don't bet on St Mirren. :lol: