St Mirren v Broxburn Athletic 18/1/20

munoz

23 minutes ago, TopCat said:

FT 3-0

Job done, move on. Definitely a bit rusty after the break. Should have still had about 6 or 7 though, the Broxburn keeper definite man of the match.

He had about 5 fantastic saves in the second half alone. Mullen’s goal at the end was a much easier save than several he made.

Broxburn did well enough but as with most part time teams their fitness went in the second half.

Delighted for big Jon Obika to get another brace. Bizarrely he gets a lot of pelters from a section of our support. Doesn’t stop him scoring goals thankfully.

Would it be over egging it to say MOM was their goalie?

Looked forward today but it was a long watch. To be fair we always struggle against teams that defend in depth. Obika is not a striker. His three misses in the first half were woeful. Junior is hit and miss but seems more effective playing wide, also thought durmus was more effective when he switched to left side. We tried to shift them backwards and forwards and their keeper made some excellent saves second half but we waste a lot of good positions with poor crosses or trying to walk ball into net. Plus side we scored three did not concede and l feel we are a threat against teams that do not sit so deep. Two difficult games now. Finally two centre backs looked excellent obviously bearing in mind quality of opposition.

Looked forward today but it was a long watch. To be fair we always struggle against teams that defend in depth. Obika is not a striker. His three misses in the first half were woeful. Junior is hit and miss but seems more effective playing wide, also thought durmus was more effective when he switched to left side. We tried to shift them backwards and forwards and their keeper made some excellent saves second half but we waste a lot of good positions with poor crosses or trying to walk ball into net. Plus side we scored three did not concede and l feel we are a threat against teams that do not sit so deep. Two difficult games now. Finally two centre backs looked excellent obviously bearing in mind quality of opposition.

Win 3 nil and our number 9 scores 2 and you get posts like this.

Some of our fans [emoji38]

12 minutes ago, the barrhead teacher said:

At the same time Obika does score a number of goals.  We badly lack goals all over the park.  A striker capable of 10 league goals alongside Obika, plus a couple of midfielders that could score 5 we'd be top six.

7 minutes ago, TopCat said:

Some of our fans emoji38.png

Twice the ball hit off Obika in the way into the net. History registers two goals for Obika but fans at the game would credit the guys who shot in the first place.

In the first half alone Obika received the ball in the six yard box four times and failed to hit the target once.  A decent striker and we would not have had to wait until the 89th minute to settle the game.

Besides all that McGrath looks a player. Had more shorts on target in 30 mins than anyone else in the team during 90 mins..

1 minute ago, Sonny said:

Twice the ball hit off Obika in the way into the net. History registers two goals for Obika but fans at the game would credit the guys who shot in the first place.

In the first half alone Obika received the ball in the six yard box four times and failed to hit the target once.  A decent striker and we would not have had to wait until the 89th minute to settle the game.

Besides all that McGrath looks a player. Had more shorts on target in 30 mins than anyone else in the team during 90 mins..

Is that 4 or 5 times this season?

Hey, IF he continues to be lucky for the rest of the season great, but he has had a large amount of luck so far, not convinced it will last.

2 goals, yip, against a non league team, still 2 goals but he'd not scored in the last 3 games in the league.

32 minutes ago, the barrhead teacher said:

23 minutes ago, TopCat said:

Some of our fans emoji38.png

Not with you there Top Cat. Barrhead’s post was pretty balanced and if anything erred on the positive side rather than the negative. I agree completely with it.

Suggest you read it again. 

Edited by TPAFKA Jersey 2

Re the crowd.
I congratulate Broxburn on their huge boisterous support...

With the exception of the tossers who threw flares and the drunken twat that thought holding the game up by invading the pitch would be fun! I suppose we should be grateful that he kept his clothes on!

Re the away fans chant of "what a shitey home support"...

We average around 4,000 home fans at each game...

I reckon we had around 2,700 home fans there today.

To put that in perspective, the total crowd at the Accies match today was around 1,000!

That around 1,300 Saints fans didn't fancy a game against Broxburn to me says more about the perceived standards of the opposition than the quality of home support.

Broxburn fans should be grateful that 2,700 hardy Saints fans turned up to watch them camped in their penalty box for 90 minutes and reward them with a decent pay day for their efforts!

As for the away support, it was massively inflated since it was a Scottish Cup away day.

That is not a criticism. It is a simple fact.

We ourselves have had the same experience many a time and been labelled glory hunters. I am just grateful that fans turn up and support the game.

In summary...

BOTH sets of fans did their teams proud and created a good atmosphere.

As for the game...

Broxburn did what any team in that situation would do... What we ourselves do when playing at Parkhead or Ibrox.

Packed the defense. Tried to frustrate the home teams and the home fans, and hope for a counter attack at some point in the game.

At corners... All eleven Broxburn players were in the box defending.

Didn't make for fun viewing which is why I would never criticise the 1,300 Saints fans who stayed away.

Broxburn defended heroically... aided by some dreadful forward play by Saints at times.

The Broxburn keeper was man of the match by a mile... He was like Superman!

I felt for him at the first goal, which was as jammy as could be. Obika only scored cos he couldn't get out of the way in time to stop the ball bouncing off of him!

That broke Broxburn but to their credit, they never gave up and certainly didn't collapse.

Mullen coming on changed Saints whole play and if the Saints Man of the match hadn't already been announced, he would have won it for his short time on the pitch!

Scored a peach for number two.

Brilliantly set up number three.

Was flattened by keeper and defender and smashed into the post and netting, requiring both hands and an arm to be strapped up... but kept coming back for more. He was immense.

3-0 the final score.
Fair reflection on the play.

Wasn't pretty but both teams acquitted themselves well.

Re the three new lads... Impressive start.
The two defenders look solid and comfortable on the ball.
McGrath impressed. Good feet, good passing and a good shot.

All in all, job done. Good day at the office.

My word. You really are criticising Obika for *only* scoring 2 goals today aren’t you? And you seem to be criticising the timing of his goals too. Do goals count more if they’re scored earlier or something?[emoji38]

Some of our fans are truly unbelievable. Thankfully most of us realise how lucky we are to have him at our club and our manager clearly believes in him. He rightly plays 90 minutes every week and will continue to do so.

That’s him on 7 goals already this season. I wonder how many more he will have to score to get the fans off his back? He’s already had the best goal scoring return of any of our strikers in a top flight season since Steven Thompson in 13/14, but that hasn’t been enough.

Of course the reason he gets so many ‘lucky’ goals is because he consistently gets himself in the right positions. As anyone who has played football before will know, that is a skill in itself. I would say I’m surprised at the amount of stick he’s getting but I’m not. Our fans have done this before to other goal scoring strikers and I suspect they will do it again with others we have in the future. Bizarre.

19 minutes ago, NB18 said:

Quite a few damaged seats in the North Stand.

Majority of their fans were outstanding today and created a cracking atmosphere, just a shame to see a minority behave like that.

inCollage_20200118_185747807.jpeg

Their fans were great for the most part - behaviour like that just spoils it though. Spotted a few pre match on Greenhill Road pissing on the street and generally being wee tadgers. 

I hope we bill them for the seats.

My word. You really are criticising Obika for *only* scoring 2 goals today aren’t you? And you seem to be criticising the timing of his goals too. Do goals count more if they’re scored earlier or something?[emoji38]

Some of our fans are truly unbelievable. Thankfully most of us realise how lucky we are to have him at our club and our manager clearly believes in him. He rightly plays 90 minutes every week and will continue to do so.

That’s him on 7 goals already this season. I wonder how many more he will have to score to get the fans off his back? He’s already had the best goal scoring return of any of our strikers in a top flight season since Steven Thompson in 13/14, but that hasn’t been enough.

Of course the reason he gets so many ‘lucky’ goals is because he consistently gets himself in the right positions. As anyone who has played football before will know, that is a skill in itself. I would say I’m surprised at the amount of stick he’s getting but I’m not. Our fans have done this before to other goal scoring strikers and I suspect they will do it again with others we have in the future. Bizarre.
Sure, Obika scored 2 today and 7 for the season, but surely you cant be happy with his finishing ability? He is a useful presence upfront to bully defenders but hes not a goalscorer

If he was half decent he would be sitting on 15 goals so far.

I have played football to a decent standard as a striker and you are right, that getting into the position to score is important but you cant rely on the ball bouncing off you all the time. A striker should be using his skill and ability to score not rely on luck all the time.

He isn't the answer. We need better upfront.

Sure, Obika scored 2 today and 7 for the season, but surely you cant be happy with his finishing ability? He is a useful presence upfront to bully defenders but hes not a goalscorer

If he was half decent he would be sitting on 15 goals so far.

I have played football to a decent standard as a striker and you are right, that getting into the position to score is important but you cant rely on the ball bouncing off you all the time. A striker should be using his skill and ability to score not rely on luck all the time.

He isn't the answer. We need better upfront.
If he was scoring fifteen, he'd be at a bigger club.

He is fighting back from a NINE MONTH lay off through injury... and improving.

The first goal was classic Obika... He only scored because he couldn't get out of the way to stop the ball bouncing off him and into the net!

But... He WAS in the right place at the right time!

THAT is instinctive.

I feel there is better to come from him and am happy to support him whilst he does his best.

17 minutes ago, RossCSmfc said:

Their fans were great for the most part - behaviour like that just spoils it though. Spotted a few pre match on Greenhill Road pissing on the street and generally being wee tadgers. 

I hope we bill them for the seats.

Damage to the stadium should be deducted from the share due to Broxburn.