Jump to content

munoz

St Mirren v Broxburn Athletic 18/1/20

Recommended Posts

Some people within our support just seem to love hating strikers. We had Gavin Reilly who scored 20+ goals a few years ago and people were happy to see him go and said he wasn't good enough for the premier league. 

Obika is the best striker we've had since Reilly so naturally all the same people are out again criticising him. If he was the finished article he wouldn't be with us. Simple as that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I could quote half a dozen other posters but chose you seeing as yours is the last post.

I have defended Obika more than once this season but no one expects him to be the finished article but his 3 chances in first half come into absolute sitter category along with quite a few others this season and the frustrating fact the keeper never even had to save any of them.

Against the better teams and the slog to avoid relegation with 5 other teams this season he won't have the luxury of 4/5/6 chances before scoring like he did today.

Some people within our support just seem to love hating strikers. We had Gavin Reilly who scored 20+ goals a few years ago and people were happy to see him go and said he wasn't good enough for the premier league. 
Obika is the best striker we've had since Reilly so naturally all the same people are out again criticising him. If he was the finished article he wouldn't be with us. Simple as that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Buffs said:

Sure, Obika scored 2 today and 7 for the season, but surely you cant be happy with his finishing ability? He is a useful presence upfront to bully defenders but hes not a goalscorer

If he was half decent he would be sitting on 15 goals so far.

I have played football to a decent standard as a striker and you are right, that getting into the position to score is important but you cant rely on the ball bouncing off you all the time. A striker should be using his skill and ability to score not rely on luck all the time.

He isn't the answer. We need better upfront.

I smell dog walk GIF by lilcozynostril

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Obika does the same job for us that Billy Mehmet did a few years ago. He's a massively important player to us. 
I can understand people getting frustrated at his lack of finishing but he's more talented than anyone we've had up top for about 6 or 7 years. 
Post of the year.

Succinct and accurate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

Obika does the same job for us that Billy Mehmet did a few years ago. He's a massively important player to us. 

I can understand people getting frustrated at his lack of finishing but he's more talented than anyone we've had up top for about 6 or 7 years. 

Liked this post but also want to say that I agree 100%. A key playet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So much talk on a guy who scored twice yesterday

He is an important player for us as he's a good focial point for us

He isn't a goal grabber but he has 7 goals already.

What about the rest of the team who struggled to hit the goal sheet?

The first half i was bored shitless our midfield playing at walking pace

Things improved once Mullen and the new boy came on

Mullen is our best striker at the club imo

Set plays no threat at all in fact they looked more threathening with theirs

Highlight was the pitch invaision as the six million dollar man music was going through my head.

As he ambled on with his one shoe on and his graceful exit

Glad we are trying to get another forward in as we saw there's room for big improvement

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I watch Meadow frequently and that bit about a Sevco element is utter nonsense. I see no OF attachment to any Ayrshire junior club, it's a local community thing. I'm sure every junior club has fans who's "big team" are one of the OF but never ever see it manifest itself at games.

Did the Broxburn support have a Sevco supporting element trying to attach themselves to the club today?
I’m sure the likes of Irvine Meadow and some of the other non-league sides have had this problem in the past. It’s a shame as it ruins it for the true diehard followers of the clubs, but it does seem to be commonplace that knuckledraggers who can’t afford to watch the scum sides latch onto the local non-league side instead and usually embarrass them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

I watch Meadow frequently and that bit about a Sevco element is utter nonsense. I see no OF attachment to any Ayrshire junior club, it's a local community thing. I'm sure every junior club has fans who's "big team" are one of the OF but never ever see it manifest itself at games.

Didn’t a bunch of Sevvie scum (or possibly Rangers as it might have been pre-2012) jump in on their success when they were drawn away to Hibs?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, TopCat said:


That’s him on 7 goals already this season. I wonder how many more he will have to score to get the fans off his back? He’s already had the best goal scoring return of any of our strikers in a top flight season since Steven Thompson in 13/14, but that hasn’t been enough.
 

Danny has scored 4 goals in 10 starts this season. Jon has scored 7 in 19. So Jon will have to score against Sevco on Wed to equal Danny's percentage. At the moment Danny has a better scoring record.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Desperately Seeking Susans said:

Once again Danny Mullen made a great contribution.  It's time Danny was in the lineup at the very start -long overdue.

Certainly looked up for it, not a lot to lose in the next 2 games, could give us that extra pace we seem to lack. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Desperately Seeking Susans said:

Once again Danny Mullen made a great contribution.  It's time Danny was in the lineup at the very start - long overdue.

I like Danny. He is full of running and can sniff out a goal. Great to have differences of opinion on what would be our best front two!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

First I have heard of it.

Hibs Forum Thread regarding them

A quick google search threw this up. Many of course suggesting it was just Rangers fans jumping on Meadow’s good cup run, but it also appears they were large in numbers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

Hibs Forum Thread regarding them

A quick google search threw this up. Many of course suggesting it was just Rangers fans jumping on Meadow’s good cup run, but it also appears they were large in numbers.

No sign of this yesterday. Going down with the Jambos was the only mention of any other team. I'm sure that they, like us, picked up a few floating supporters in their cup run. Usually ours join later. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just a quick comment on Obika's goals, yes they weren't the cleanest hit but Morias had at least 4 in the second half alone that he caught really well and the keeper got to them all, them's the breaks. Also really nice to see 3 young saints fans congratulating their keeper on his performance at the end of the match and he appreciated it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

Going down with the Jambos was the only mention of any other team. 

Which would say it's more of  a Hibs town than a sevco town.

I was surprised the police allowed so many away fans to congregate in the 1st 2 sections nearest the West Stand.About 2/3s of their support must have been in that area,an accident waiting to happen.It could also explain the damaged seats,maybe they weren't broken out of malice.

Think the Polis just wanted them in and out with as little hassle as possible.Seemingly quite a few lifted after the game altho I havent heard of any trouble involving our Fans.

Well done to their Keeper who had 6 or 7 outstanding saves,a day to remember for him.🤲

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, HSS said:

Which would say it's more of  a Hibs town than a sevco town.

I was surprised the police allowed so many away fans to congregate in the 1st 2 sections nearest the West Stand.About 2/3s of their support must have been in that area,an accident waiting to happen.It could also explain the damaged seats,maybe they weren't broken out of malice.

Think the Polis just wanted them in and out with as little hassle as possible.Seemingly quite a few lifted after the game altho I havent heard of any trouble involving our Fans.

Well done to their Keeper who had 6 or 7 outstanding saves,a day to remember for him.🤲

There was a point during the game where you could easily hear the seats being wrecked. This was deliberate imo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Yflab said:

There was a point during the game where you could easily hear the seats being wrecked. This was deliberate imo.

Hence, I think, one of the reasons they were held back at full time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, waldorf34 said:

He even cannot score in the games warm ups , usually one on target out of six shots every time and the one shot he gets on target is so weak it it is easily saved , check it out at next game.

Having said that he will get 12 goals this season but only have 6 shots on goal!

Was it not Gary Lineker who deliberately tried not to score in the warm up, so that he did not use up his goals, keeping them for the match?

Warm ups are simply that, and players treat them differently as they all have different ideas and aspects that they are focusing on during them. :cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Sonny said:

Danny has scored 4 goals in 10 starts this season. Jon has scored 7 in 19. So Jon will have to score against Sevco on Wed to equal Danny's percentage. At the moment Danny has a better scoring record.

Strange how JG then thinks Danny is not 1st choice - and hence the reason he has played almost half the games this season that Obika has played then....

It's clear that Obika is our 1st choice striker and that Morais is 2nd for now. Mullen and Cooke vie for 3rd or 4th and Andreu is 5th - though he is not always played as a Striker.

That might change and it is great that Danny came on and played well. He does sometimes and he does get goals sometimes too - but there are games that he has not been great in either.

I don't think any of our strikers will hit 18 goals this season, but McGrath might just hit nearly half that in half a season - and I would be fine with that . . . :magic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...