Dylan Reid

munoz

1 hour ago, bazil85 said:

He’d possibly be the first that’s met a decent level since Iwelumo. Can’t think of anyone else in-between . 

Can't think of any defenders or goalkeepers either.

Chris Smith maybe? Sean Kelly and Jason Naismith? Can't remember if these guys were academy graduates or not. My memory is shit these days.

Edited by oaksoft

2 hours ago, antrin said:

Decent Midfielder?

McGinn ring a bell?

1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

Can't think of any defenders or goalkeepers either.

Chris Smith maybe? Sean Kelly and Jason Naismith? Can't remember if these guys were academy graduates or not. My memory is shit these days.

Ah right I thought you meant strikers not just anything other than a midfielder. Aye a few that have been decent. David Mcnamee got a couple Scotland caps I’m sure. 

4 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

Ah right I thought you meant strikers not just anything other than a midfielder. Aye a few that have been decent. David Mcnamee got a couple Scotland caps I’m sure. 

Yeah, I wasn't completely sure. So it really is just strikers where we haven't produced anything of note yet.

• 4 months later...
2 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Anyone know what’s happened to him.

Thought we might get to see him starting to feature this season.

Is he injured or just not in the picture at the moment. 

No injury, likely to play tomorrow night. Only allowed seven subs on the bench this season so players like him, Flynn & Mccalister aren't currently making the squad. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Great interview with Dylan on the Saints site...

16-year-old Dylan Reid impressed as he made his first start for St Mirren in Saturday’s cinch Premiership match against Dundee United.

The St Mirren Youth Academy graduate made history in March when he became the youngest ever player to feature in the Scottish Premiership at the age of 16 years and five days after a substitute appearance against Rangers at Ibrox.

After waiting patiently for his next opportunity, the midfielder played 74 minutes on Saturday in Saints’ 0-0 draw with the Terrors.

It all comes just a week after the 16-year-old captained Scotland U17s in a friendly against Wales during the international break.

Speaking after his start, Dylan told stmirren.com: "It was great.

"I found out on Friday that I was going to be in the team. I was quite nervous, but it was good nerves. I slept like a baby that night.

"With injuries and suspensions, I knew I could maybe get a chance. The manager told me I had an opportunity and to go and take it. Hopefully I did that and impressed people.

"I just wanted to go out and express myself and challenge myself and I felt I did that.

"It was my first time playing in front of fans and I thought they were excellent. When I had a tackle in the first-half there was a roar from the fans and it gave me a bit of confidence.

"I’ve been patient and tried to be the best that I can, but it was so great to be out there playing football."

The 16-year-old made way after 74 minutes for midfielder Ryan Flynn and says he looks up to experienced players like that.

"Ryan is such a good player," Dylan said.

"I hate playing against him in training because he's so good and he showed his class when he came on.

"I’ve wanted to learn from other players when I’ve been watching from the
sidelines.

"Guys like that just give me confidence and after games they tell me what I did well and what I could do better which I love and take on board."

1 hour ago, BuddieinEK said:

Great interview with Dylan on the Saints site...

16-year-old Dylan Reid impressed as he made his first start for St Mirren in Saturday’s cinch Premiership match against Dundee United.

The St Mirren Youth Academy graduate made history in March when he became the youngest ever player to feature in the Scottish Premiership at the age of 16 years and five days after a substitute appearance against Rangers at Ibrox.

After waiting patiently for his next opportunity, the midfielder played 74 minutes on Saturday in Saints’ 0-0 draw with the Terrors.

It all comes just a week after the 16-year-old captained Scotland U17s in a friendly against Wales during the international break.

Speaking after his start, Dylan told stmirren.com: "It was great.

"I found out on Friday that I was going to be in the team. I was quite nervous, but it was good nerves. I slept like a baby that night.

"With injuries and suspensions, I knew I could maybe get a chance. The manager told me I had an opportunity and to go and take it. Hopefully I did that and impressed people.

"I just wanted to go out and express myself and challenge myself and I felt I did that.

"It was my first time playing in front of fans and I thought they were excellent. When I had a tackle in the first-half there was a roar from the fans and it gave me a bit of confidence.

"I’ve been patient and tried to be the best that I can, but it was so great to be out there playing football."

The 16-year-old made way after 74 minutes for midfielder Ryan Flynn and says he looks up to experienced players like that.

"Ryan is such a good player," Dylan said.

"I hate playing against him in training because he's so good and he showed his class when he came on.

"I’ve wanted to learn from other players when I’ve been watching from the
sidelines.

"Guys like that just give me confidence and after games they tell me what I did well and what I could do better which I love and take on board."

Sensible young guy. Very decent debut.

There is no doubt that both Saints and others see the potential he has and he will soon become the centre of interest from a much wider field.

Watching him on Saturday showed that he is not afraid to tackle, has a lot of talent and enthusiasm. Saints are a good team for him to learn as he would get lost in an Old Firm environment, can you image either of them fielding a graduate 16 year old in the first team?

It will be interesting to watch him develop over the next year or two.

• 5 months later...

Been recalled from his loan at Queens Park. From what I understand the reason the board went for Robinson is he has a track record of playing the young players and allowing them to progress and for the club's to benefit (eg Campbell and Turnbull at Motherwell). Will also allow him to see what the rebuilding of the midfield might look like when the likes of Jones, Ronan and Gogic loans end.

Sent from my IN2023 using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 12/12/2019 at 10:30 AM, bazil85 said:

Would be gutted to lose such a promising young talent already but it's very encouraging to see that the youth academy continues to bear fruit. 

Would be good to see Dylan Reid back at the club after the summer. A great young talent. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dylan_Reid