Ethan Erhahon

45 minutes ago, HSS said:

Not surprised to see him linked with a big move, he's a fantastic young player who has a big career ahead of him. Think it's best if he moves on and gets away from our boo boys, i just hope we get a big sell on percentage in place. He could make us a lot of money in the future. 

I know it's a bit early to come to this view - but if Robinson can continue to get the best out of Curtis Main, then it should be a bit of a cake walk to get the most out of Erhahon next season.

Goodwin was not recognised for his ability to get the best out of existing players but to buy in new players and give them the chance to shine at St Mirren - eg. Ronan and McGrath.

It’s hard to believe that Ethan is still only 20. I still think he has the attributes to be a top player but he seems to have hit the buffers, whether it’s due to attitude or coaching, it’s hard to say. 
Maybe a fresh start and a new environment is what he needs. He’s been with us since he was a wee kid and it’s possibly gone a wee bit stale. 
Would love to see him reach his full potential with us but it looks like he might need a move. Don’t know how happy he is with us??
Can Robinson get the best out of him? I know developing  youngsters is rightly one of his priorities. 
If we can get a decent fee/sell on, it might be the best for both parties, but I’d be sorry to see him go as I’ve always had really high hopes for him. 

None of us know why Ethan hasn’t kicked on as we all had hoped he would do.

We can only wonder , is it attitude ?  Does he have the wrong people or person offering advice ?  Is he simply stale ( as stated above ) having been here for almost 15 years ? 

Im sure there is a player in there but I’m sure Robinson would have formed an opinion on him in the time he’s been here to say whether  he can bring out the best in him or whether the young fella needs a fresh challenge.

• 7 months later...

Think we can take it as read that he's gone. If not in January then definitely at end of his contract.
Don't think his new agents are doing all this for a new deal with us.
Could be him and Baccus to go. Think this a result partially of not giving the old firm 2 stands. Hope I am wrong and both stay.

Sent from my SM-S906B using Tapatalk

Could be him and Baccus to go. Think this a result partially of not giving the old firm 2 stands. Hope I am wrong and both stay.

Sent from my SM-S906B using Tapatalk

From other chats Robo has said we would have to cut it down. I was hoping the bit parts looking for more game time than starters. If the starters go I don't think some of the bench, especially the middle, have the legs or experience we need. Would we get more in if these 2 left? I hope so as I hope we push for the top 6. I worry we cut things but the teams below us always are able to find money and add.

Sent from my IN2023 using Tapatalk

He has worked hard on his all-round game, asserts himself more and has found ways of using his physique without dropping the skills level and as such deserves a chance at stepping up.

My hope is that Anton has been looking for a player who has real potential, will be relatively unknown down south and will still be relatively cheap in this marketplace and that is why he has gone for Ethan.  He is trying to build his reputation by unearthing a diamond from the dross and will maybe struggle to find a taker at this  stage.

a forlorn hope, I know.  EE will likely be away soon.

Edited by beyond our ken

13 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

I genuinely don’t mind when players like this go for much better deals down south.

It’s when they go to the likes of Hibs or Aberdeen I find it really depressing. 

Why? Both are significantly bigger clubs than us with many more supporters and far higher playing budgets.

45 minutes ago, TopCat said:

Why? Both are significantly bigger clubs than us with many more supporters and far higher playing budgets.

I think the frustration with players moving to the likes of these two is driven by the fact we would be strengthening a competitor in our league.  
While the ugly sisters are always likely to win the league, our only chance of silverware and better league position is wins against the Hibs, Hearts , Dons of this world - don’t want to willingly help their cause .
Yes they have more money and can probably double a players wages but I would rather see good  players leaving us head south where we can chart their progress and be pleased for them - rather than watch them potentially flourish in Edinburgh or Aberdeen - perhaps at our expense . 

2 minutes ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

I think the frustration with players moving to the likes of these two is driven by the fact we would be strengthening a competitor in our league.  
While the ugly sisters are always likely to win the league, our only chance of silverware and better league position is wins against the Hibs, Hearts , Dons of this world - don’t want to willingly help their cause .
Yes they have more money and can probably double a players wages but I would rather see good  players leaving us head south where we can chart their progress and be pleased for them - rather than watch them potentially flourish in Edinburgh or Aberdeen - perhaps at our expense . 

I think it also shows a lack of ambition too.  The English leagues are a more attractive proposition even taking finances out of the equation. He is certainly good enough to be playing at English Championship level. 

With 50ish games a season including cup games, a lot of these teams make full use of their squads with the constant demand of 2 games per week.

1 hour ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

1 hour ago, kevo_smfc said:

I think it also shows a lack of ambition too.  The English leagues are a more attractive proposition even taking finances out of the equation. He is certainly good enough to be playing at English Championship level. 

With 50ish games a season including cup games, a lot of these teams make full use of their squads with the constant demand of 2 games per week.

Thank you both for saving my typing thumb a bit of work. 

3 hours ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

It's just a fact of life. Our players will see moving to a club like Aberdeen and Hibs as a big step upwards in their career, and it is. Their average attendances are both around 15k, ours is around 5k, we can't be expected to compete over the long term with clubs like them, they're just much bigger than we are and as a result their ceiling is much higher. Works both ways too, we are a much bigger club than Morton for example, and we will always be ahead of them in a long term and their players will see a move to St Mirren as a step up. Alloa fans must be sick of us taking their managers, but we can do it whenever we want, because we are much bigger than them.

It's nothing new either. In the 80's Aberdeen signed about half our team and they went on to huge success. It was happening 40 years ago, it's happening now, and it will still be happening 40 years in the future. Best not stress about it :) 

Of course our players would rather move down south, but often that's not an option for them. This step up is a half way house and a bigger shop window to the English money. See Kenny McLean and John McGinn who both had to go to Aberdeen and Hibs respectively before they got their shot in England.  FWIW I think Ethan will be an English Championship player by the summer at the latest, perhaps he will be one in a few weeks. If in the unlikely event he can't get a contract with an English club he will probably end up at Hibs or Aberdeen, and he'd do well there. 

5 hours ago, TopCat said:

It's just a fact of life. Our players will see moving to a club like Aberdeen and Hibs as a big step upwards in their career, and it is. Their average attendances are both around 15k, ours is around 5k, we can't be expected to compete over the long term with clubs like them, they're just much bigger than we are and as a result their ceiling is much higher. Works both ways too, we are a much bigger club than Morton for example, and we will always be ahead of them in a long term and their players will see a move to St Mirren as a step up. Alloa fans must be sick of us taking their managers, but we can do it whenever we want, because we are much bigger than them.

It's nothing new either. In the 80's Aberdeen signed about half our team and they went on to huge success. It was happening 40 years ago, it's happening now, and it will still be happening 40 years in the future. Best not stress about it :) 

Of course our players would rather move down south, but often that's not an option for them. This step up is a half way house and a bigger shop window to the English money. See Kenny McLean and John McGinn who both had to go to Aberdeen and Hibs respectively before they got their shot in England.  FWIW I think Ethan will be an English Championship player by the summer at the latest, perhaps he will be one in a few weeks. If in the unlikely event he can't get a contract with an English club he will probably end up at Hibs or Aberdeen, and he'd do well there. 

I thought after reading Callum and Kevo’s posts you might realise you were arguing a different point to us 

On a slight side note Looking back at the Kenny McLean move, if reports are to believed , we got £300k from Dons for him , Dons got only a third of that when they sold him to Norwich 😳

Seems we’re not the only ones to let stars go for peanuts 🙄 

Edited by Callum Gilhooley

8 hours ago, TopCat said:

Longer-term, he has a far better chance of international recognition at Aberdeen, Hearts, or maybe Hibs, than he does in the English Championship.  I can't think of many Hibs players who got early recognition recently but I am sure I'll be corrected.