The Country & Folk Music Thread

shull

On 8/27/2022 at 9:55 AM, ALBIONSAINT said:

I was lucky enough to meet Danny a couple of times in a pub in shuttle street (think it’s called jam jar now) cracking guy and a great musician. 

His wife used to run the sunday afternoon rock club at the silver thread and the suday evening folk club at the same venue.  A loal band called Findo Gask loaned the PA and  usually the drums.  FG would play an opening and closing set and anyone who wanted to could get up and play the intervening period.  Danny called in once or twice but Eric Cuthbertson was the stalwart who played every week.  I used to help with the set-up and take-down of Findo Gask's gear and was asked to help at the recording of that album at the town hall with FG as support and using their gear.  A sell-out and i never believed that  building could have housed that atmosphere.  Findo Gask and Gallagher & Lyle provided the main "house band" duties and the MC was wee Eric, who stole the show woth his antics between acts.  Billy Connolly came on at the end to get the applause up for the recording but didn't say or do anything, an already fevered crowd lifted the roof when he went off.  Connolly was kind enough to stand all the musicians and roadies for a curry at Rajah's after and a massivecairry-out was provided by a guy, big Kevin i think, who ran the Penny Geggy pub and along with G&L's roadie brought several cases of big Whitbreads, for the roadies only, through from the performer's "area" for the event at the insistence of the Largs  pair.

I got to bed around 3 AM and got up at 7 to pass my Higher English on my second-last day of school.  

The footnote was almost 45 years later when i had a cracking conversation with Graham Lyle after a gig in Kinross.  He aded that Billy Connolly was raging at wee Eric for upstaging Danny but his wife reminded him it was time to turn in before he could tell me what happened there.  Graham is a lovely guy and I notice Benny Gallgher is doing shows without him this autumn, I had conerns for his health from that meeting and I hope he is OK.

Edited by beyond our ken