St Mirren v Kilmarnock 29. 12.19

St.Ricky

Great result today but it could have been so much easier. Obika and morias made great contributions but just don't look like strikers. Makeshift back four did really well. Cammy had a mixed game, great ball winning but poor passing. We give the ball away too easily and don't compete enough at times for 50:50 balls. However the goal was fantastic and with a true goalscorer we would have been out of sight today. Well done saints for sending everyone home happy especially given Hamilton result

Great hard working win today. Goody has got them grafting hard for the points we get. But massive shout out for Sam Foley what a performance at centre half. Never put a foot wrong. MOM by a mile. Andreu. Flynn had great games. Morias and Obika worked really hard upfront. But we still need a goalscorer. But no failures today. But Foley deserves his win bonus. Coys.

15 minutes ago, the barrhead teacher said:

Great result today but it could have been so much easier. Obika and morias made great contributions but just don't look like strikers. Makeshift back four did really well. Cammy had a mixed game, great ball winning but poor passing. We give the ball away too easily and don't compete enough at times for 50:50 balls. However the goal was fantastic and with a true goalscorer we would have been out of sight today. Well done saints for sending everyone home happy especially given Hamilton result

I thought we were brilliant today on the 50:50 balls and won most second ball. I know what you mean about Obika and Morias as gosl scorers but they were both excellent today.

12 minutes ago, magnus said:

I thought we were brilliant today on the 50:50 balls and won most second ball. I know what you mean about Obika and Morias as gosl scorers but they were both excellent today.

Agree also, thought we competed better than usual today.

Not really a failure out there today. Shout out to Foley, McGinn and Flynn all out of position. MacPherson great again in centre, McLoughlin good at the back also. Tony had a quiet game but tidy play for the goal, he has that quality to decide a game.

We're hit or miss down the flanks and none of our wingers have really nailed down a spot but big credit today to Junior and Durmus - we are a very tidy team when we have an outball.

16 minutes ago, magnus said:

A great shift from everyone in the team today. 19 shots at goal, 5 on target, two great saves by the Killie Keeper. 

I thought the team were excellent today, especially Flynn and Foley given they were playing out of position. Had all the hallmarks of us missing a barrowload of chances and then Killie stealing a point, glad it didn't turn out like that.

Killie look very poor though, five losses in a row, if they don't get their next managerial appointment right they are in the relegation mix.

1 hour ago, TopCat said:

FT 1-0

Second half was all St Mirren really, we missed several good chances and should have won by more in the end. Kept waiting for a Killie onslaught that never arrived, they were awful. That’s them just 4 points above us now, they look very catchable on today’s showing.

Been a pretty decent December for us, certainly much improvement on last term. This time last season we had just lost 2-1 to Killie and were in 11th on 12 points, saved from bottom by the remarkable shiteness of Dundee. This year we are 10th with 19 points.

Goody is doing a great job and if we have a half decent January window we will be fine. Would love to keep a hold of McLoughlin in particular, he’s brilliant.

100% agree and said it a number of times on this forum, for me at his age and potential the best player at the club. Hull have a real talent on their hands. Hopefully Goodie can work his magic with his mates at Hull for second part of the season.

Edited by lenziebud

18 minutes ago, Julian Banjos said:

Some stats to show the improvement under Goodie.

Going into the winter break:
18/19 = 12 points from 21 games (-24 GD)
19/20 = 19 points from 21 games (-12 GD)

We eventually went into the split on 21 points.

Does that show Goodwin is decent or the PE Teacher wasn't so good? :rolleyes:

27 minutes ago, lenziebud said:

100% agree and said it a number of times on this forum, for me at his age and potential the best player at the club. Hull have a real talent on their hands. Hopefully Goodie can work his magic with his mates at Hull for second part of the season.

Definitely.

Along with Hladky he's been our most consistent performer.

Goodwin's back four selection today was the work of genius.

The selection of Foley as a pairing with McLoughlin was a risk that paid off handsomely. Flynn has really developed as a RB and was really only bested once today. McGinn (P) continues to show his versatility.

Obika caused them a load of problems today, as did Morias with his constant running down of players.

Durmus had his best game for a while and his finish was excellent, as was Andreu's assist.

Hladky was his usual assured self, and Magennis and MacPherson fought like terriers.

A great result to take us into the winter shutdown.:)

Edited by FTOF

No failures today.

What a fabulous team performance.

Killie missed an absolute sitter early doors and Vaclav had one brilliant save, but that apart, we chased lost causes, harried, and fought for every ball.

The fitness level of the players has also noticeably improved.

The makeshift back four were outstanding.

Foley played like an established centre half, Flynn like a natural right back, and McGinn only let Burke out of his back pocket long enough to see him leave the park!

I reckon a huge amount of respect is due to Goodwin for all that!

He knows how to set up a team.

His players clearly know their roles.

That makes it easier for players to cover other roles... They know they can trust their teammates.

Look at the shift Morais put in... not only attacking, but covering for and supporting Flynn!

Durmus too has significantly increased his workrate and was willing to track back and help McGinn if needed.

Foley is an obvious contender for man of the match given such a composed performance at the back, but I thought Junior Morais was unplayable today and took the whole team fifteen yards further up the pitch for the whole match.

Happy BuddieinEK tonight.

That was a great game to watch.

I'm delighted with the 3 points but couldn't help leaving the stadium a bit exacerbated at how powder puff we are in front of goal. 19 shots, most of them into the crowd or even into the Cart in Cookes instance! 

Against better teams and when the scoreline is 0-0 this is no use. Even thought a slightly better saints team would have got a draw in that Celtic game.

It's a case of being pleased at winning but when looking at the bigger picture we're in desperate need of some quality because we are going to give up a lot of important points in the remainder of the season. If I was Goodwin I wouldn't be going in and praising the team, I'd be ripping into them for not winning more easily against a team that gave us acres of space and time.

As for Killie if they keep playing like that they'll be relegated.

Edited by Big Yards

9 minutes ago, Big Yards said:

I'm delighted with the 3 points but couldn't help leaving the stadium a bit exacerbated at how powder puff we are in front of goal. 19 shots, most of them into the crowd or even into the Cart in Cookes instance! 

Against better teams and when the scoreline is 0-0 this is no use. Even thought a slightly better saints team would have got a draw in that Celtic game.

It's a case of being pleased at winning but when looking at the bigger picture we're in desperate need of some quality because we are going to give up a lot of important points in the remainder of the season. If I was Goodwin I wouldn't be going in and praising the team, I'd be ripping into them for not winning more easily against a team that gave us acres of space and time.

As for Killie if they keep playing like that they'll be relegated.

Fortunately you're not Goodwin.

Goodwin did say in the after match that in addition to praising the players for a strong performance, that he spoke to the players after the game about finishing off teams.