St Mirren v Kilmarnock 29. 12.19

St.Ricky

17 minutes ago, Julian Banjos said:

Regarding the lack of a goalscorer, let's not get carried away because going back 30 years in the top league our best returns are:

Higdon, Thompson = 13
Torfason = 12
Sutton = 11
Gillies, Dorman = 10

Obika is on 5 and we're just past the halfway mark. He could well be in amongst those above at the end of the season. Mullen and Morias both have 2 from sporadic appearances and Cooke is now fit again.

We had the imcredible fortune to get 3 great years out of Thommo. If anyone else had scored that number of goals for us we'd have lost them pretty quick to another team (see M.Higdon!).

To find that elusive goalscorer is very difficult. The Saintees thought they'd solved their problems by splurging on Stevie May and it looks like they've ended up with a guy whose career is disintegrating. Would be great to get an Isma in for 20 games but we're not that badly off up front, in my opinion.

Five teams in our league have averaged less than a goal a game so far this season.  Only two of the teams in all the other Scottish leagues are in this category.  Shows how difficult it is to find a regular goalscorer at this level for teams like us.

Edited by David Mc

Well I doubt anybody seen the rabbit that Goodwin pulled of the hat by playing Foley at C/H   :shockaroony     :clapping

There was no man of the match for us today, but there were men of the match, and I give you the whole back 4 who where excellent:clapping

Hope all the players and management staff enjoyed their winter break and it is well deserved.

Do you understand how formations work?

You state we had 3 at the back but acknowledge Foley was at centre half. Can I ask what McLaughlin, P McGin and Flynn were doing in this back 3?

We are playing a 3-5-2 with Durmus and Morais as wing backs. Working quite well thus far, Foley looks surprisingly accomplished at centre half beside McLoughlin and McGinn.

6 hours ago, windae cleaner said:

That's a real pity as he's improving all the time

Foley looked a lot better at the back and wouldn't surprise me if he stayed there

How good are McGinn and Flynn? Outstanding

I thought our midfield was poor today couldn't keep the ball.

The effort was there but the quality wasn't

A really good goal by 2 bits of quality need to get more out of Durmus

The effort,workrate and always showing by Junior and Obika was excellent

The finishing on the other hand was dreadful as we should have ran out 4 nil winners today

Centre back,left back and an Andy Dorman, Billy Stark type midfield player and we should be safe

How the feck Hamilton do it, a real downer hearing that result

No need, we have one - he set up the goal today. 

Somebody to finish off a couple more of the 19 (NINETEEN) shots we created please.

3 hours ago, Hambud said:

Do you understand how formations work?

You state we had 3 at the back but acknowledge Foley was at centre half. Can I ask what McLaughlin, P McGin and Flynn were doing in this back 3?

What's a 4 4 2 or a 3 5 2 amongst fellow supporters. For what it's worth, I thought we mainly played 4 4 2 but in parts 3 5 2

All the effort by people to justify our lack of goals and a goalscorer must mean Livingston & Ross County are top clubs.

They have managed to get players to score more goals than our top man.

In FACT the giants that are Livingston have TWO players who have scored more than Obika and another player who has scored 5 goals..

I hope the management are trying harder to find a goalscorer than the some of our support. 

2 hours ago, faraway saint said:

All the effort by people to justify our lack of goals and a goalscorer must mean Livingston & Ross County are top clubs.

In FACT the giants that are Livingston have TWO players who have scored more than Obika and another player who has scored 5 goals..

I hope the management are trying harder to find a goalscorer than the some of our support. 

They may not be bigger but they are more successful. In no small measure due to those players that have scored more. One of which a certain arsehole manager punted as surplus to requirements.  

I have no doubt the management are looking for better strikers. We're just pointing out that looking and finding are two different things. There are not loads of top strikers around and those that are don't come cheap.  If you have a serious suggestion who we should be looking at please feel free to share. 

3 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Anyone remember how many Jackson and Mullen scored last season ? Pretty sure they were our top scorers.

2 hours ago, Sweeper07 said:

Not sure why you think I am in Ireland ?  Guessing I am missing a joke here?

I think so.  Yes.

ireland is the nearest place abroad, where I guessed you might be.

and also where Guinness is pretty strongly marketed.

(an end-of-the-year, bottom-of-the-bin joke, I would agree...)

Edited by antrin

17 hours ago, windae cleaner said:

That's a real pity as he's improving all the time

Foley looked a lot better at the back and wouldn't surprise me if he stayed there

How good are McGinn and Flynn? Outstanding

I thought our midfield was poor today couldn't keep the ball.

The effort was there but the quality wasn't

A really good goal by 2 bits of quality need to get more out of Durmus

The effort,workrate and always showing by Junior and Obika was excellent

The finishing on the other hand was dreadful as we should have ran out 4 nil winners today

Centre back,left back and an Andy Dorman, Billy Stark type midfield player and we should be safe

How the feck Hamilton do it, a real downer hearing that result

We did our bit. Scored one goal more than the opposition. Clean sheet. A few good saves by the Killie Keeper. More of the same please, 

14 hours ago, St.Ricky said:

Indeed. Our average crowd is, I believe over 5,500 per match. Were we to reach the top six we could come close to an average of 6,000 depending on fixtures. 

For that, we'd probably need to see Dundee Utd, Dundee, Falkirk and Dunfermline in the top league instead of St Johnstone, Hamilton, Livingston and Ross County. To make 5500 despite those 4 teams bringing nobody is not too bad.

5 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

For that, we'd probably need to see Dundee Utd, Dundee, Falkirk and Dunfermline in the top league instead of St Johnstone, Hamilton, Livingston and Ross County. To make 5500 despite those 4 teams bringing nobody is not too bad.

Or we have a successful season like Killie had last season.