Rangers v St Mirren, Wed 22nd Jan 2020

faraway saint

Thought we did ok, left ourselves a chance to grab a point and very nearly did

Rangers fans were pathetic, grumbling and leaving early at 1-0 :lol: great fans, superb vocal backing from our supporters (as usual)

Echo others in saying that the 2 centre halfs were impressive and mostly composed

We really need a couple more players, especially now that Magennis is out, probably for the season

Trying to get with the programme here but have to say I struggling with the concept that losing 1-0 to a poorly performing team and only mustering one attempt on goal is not a " Bad Result" ffs...
Didn't expect a result before the game, but if you are 1-0 down, your opponents are misfiring, then as a competitive side (if you harbour any notion you are) you should be pressing for the second 45 to get back in the game.
If not, why bother turning up? Just ask Sevco if they'll take a 1-0 win and field the boys.
Sounds like Goody bottled in at half time?

On 1/21/2020 at 5:13 PM, faraway saint said:

This shows you as you are, a narrow minded fool.

No it doesn't

Focusing on this, and "reading" it as he has some affinity to Rangers and Celtic is frankly a piss take.

He said it was ST Mirren is a fourth team to him. 

He has an unhealthy obsession for both teams in a NEGATIVE way. 

Not in my opinion, more so St Mirren in recent (all) times

Jeezo, you do make an arse of yourself sometimes. :byebye

I sure do, not on here though... Very often :P 

In his post-match interview JG was clear that he had deliberately set up defensively to avoid losing a hatful of goals like a few other teams have done against Rangers and Celtic this season. In my view that makes sense. It's often been said previously that our fate won't be decided by games against Rangers and Celtic but by the games against the teams around us in the bottom six. So it's sensible to set up against Rangers and Celtic to protect our goal difference, as that is likely to be very important at the end of the season.

JG also made it clear in the interview that he wouldn't be setting the team up this way against other teams in the league. Seems a reasonable way of looking at things.

On to Aberdeen on Sunday and...….COYS!!

Just watched Goody's post match interview and I find it troubling....
By all means park the bus at Ibrox or Parkhead for as long as you can keep a clean sheet, but surely a genuine competitive side and manager would see the opponents were off their game and missing a few key players and try and get something for most of the second half not just the last few minutes..?
Otherwise again what's the point?
I guess supporters know now what to expect before a ball is kicked in games where Goody doesn't fancy us.

1 hour ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Genuinely not having a go Mattman, but if last night came as a surprise to you and you begrudge paying your £40 for it, then I’d seriously consider not going next time if I were you. Because the next game and the next one after that and the next one after that will be the exact same. These games have become simply an exercise in trying not to lose. To that end ie our defensive performance it was decent and we walk away not having been humiliated like a lot of teams have at Ibrox this season. As for the tactics remaining the same after we went a goal down. That is an common tactic in these situations to continue to try to just stay in the game until about 15/20 to go, then try to have a go. That’s what we did, but when our little period came towards the end we simply weren’t good enough.

Like I say though, we walk away with no damage to our confidence and bring on the Sheep. 

Fair but when you sit back you need to have pace to hit on the counter, something that’s just not there, I’m happy to grind out a result but when your down I honestly think there’s nothing else to lose so why not go for it, towards the end there was a bit more but it was more last 5 than anything... Part of me thinks is it worth going.. but I have the bug, when I’m not at games I feel annoyed I’ve missed it, regardless of opposition.

Goody did not go for it as Sevco have regularly been hitting 4 and 5 against teams at Ibrox this season (eg Hearts in Dec) and a heavy defeat would not have helped goal difference nor confidence, especially the young central defenders.

That being said I would have started Danny last night as he is like a Duracell bunny in closing the ball down and is prepared to shoot from distance. But a lot of our long balls out of defence were woeful - some straight out the park - for any of our players to do much with them.

Last night we could have perhaps pinched a point as that was still a possibility till the final whistle blew, but a 1 nil defeat against them is far from a disaster. We did to them what Broxburn tried to do to us.

Foley and Paul McGinn were excellent last night. The 2 new CB's and Flynn were great too. The midfield worked hard throughout but we need a LB that can tackle and play a pass to his team mates which is a good one. Too many times he plays a negative or wrong pass, he is weak defensively and cannot even play a pass up the line most of the time . . . .  (sorry but rant over)

Hopefully McGrath back in for Magennis. Kirky back on the bench and miracle of miracles someone other than Waters at LB.

Aye opening up worked well at Tynecastle !!! A lot of people need to get real if they seriously think we should be going toe to toe at Ibrox or Parkhead. So far our tactics against both cheeks have been spot on. It's the only way you give yourself any chance of getting something out the game against teams like that. Like it or not both are vastly superior to us.
If you're happy to pay £29 knowing your team ain't going to make any attempt to attack, then fill your boots.

1 hour ago, pondsman said:

In his post-match interview JG was clear that he had deliberately set up defensively to avoid losing a hatful of goals like a few other teams have done against Rangers and Celtic this season. In my view that makes sense. It's often been said previously that our fate won't be decided by games against Rangers and Celtic but by the games against the teams around us in the bottom six. So it's sensible to set up against Rangers and Celtic to protect our goal difference, as that is likely to be very important at the end of the season.

JG also made it clear in the interview that he wouldn't be setting the team up this way against other teams in the league. Seems a reasonable way of looking at things.

On to Aberdeen on Sunday and...….COYS!!

I agree and said on another thread that our goal difference is the best of the bottom 5 and this might be crucial in the long run. 

Just now, Lord Pityme said:

I think you'll find that POINTS will be crucial, rather than being the best ever goal difference team that got relegated.

In the final analysis even penalties can be crucial as we know. Points first. Goal difference next and as a last resort in play off, then penalties. 

4 hours ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

Aye opening up worked well at Tynecastle !!! A lot of people need to get real if they seriously think we should be going toe to toe at Ibrox or Parkhead. So far our tactics against both cheeks have been spot on. It's the only way you give yourself any chance of getting something out the game against teams like that. Like it or not both are vastly superior to us.

Exactly bud.

Home results for Sevco 2012 this season include:

5-0 v Hearts (who had 2 shots)

5-0 v Hamilton (3 shots)

5-0 v Aberdeen (4 shots)

6-1 v Hibs (6 shots)

Going down 1-0 meant we were in the game until the final whistle was blown. Better teams than us have been gubbed there, and many don’t exactly fire ten shots per game either. Some of our fans need to get a f**king grip.

18 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

I think you'll find that POINTS will be crucial, rather than being the best ever goal difference team that got relegated.

Points may be more important, but a good GD can be the difference. So indeed it is better to go down 1-0 than be pumped 7-0 and say “ah well at least we went for it”, then get relegated because our GD was 3 worse than the team a move.

So should the support still turn up when the manager has stated he wants to just lose by one or two?
If that's the case we will soon have crowds like Hamilton, Livi, Fakes or County.
I cant remember the chairman ever stating that at the start of the season?

Exactly bud.
Home results for Sevco 2012 this season include:
5-0 v Hearts (who had 2 shots)
5-0 v Hamilton (3 shots)
5-0 v Aberdeen (4 shots)
6-1 v Hibs (6 shots)
Going down 1-0 meant we were in the game until the final whistle was blown. Better teams than us have been gubbed there, and many don’t exactly fire ten shots per game either. Some of our fans need to get a f**king grip.

Points may be more important, but a good GD can be the difference. So indeed it is better to go down 1-0 than be pumped 7-0 and say “ah well at least we went for it”, then get relegated because our GD was 3 worse than the team a move.
Out of interest (as I dont know) who was the last team to avoid relegation from the premiership on goal difference?

3 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Genuinely not having a go Mattman, but if last night came as a surprise to you and you begrudge paying your £40 for it, then I’d seriously consider not going next time if I were you. Because the next game and the next one after that and the next one after that will be the exact same. These games have become simply an exercise in trying not to lose. To that end ie our defensive performance it was decent and we walk away not having been humiliated like a lot of teams have at Ibrox this season. As for the tactics remaining the same after we went a goal down. That is an common tactic in these situations to continue to try to just stay in the game until about 15/20 to go, then try to have a go. That’s what we did, but when our little period came towards the end we simply weren’t good enough.

Like I say though, we walk away with no damage to our confidence and bring on the Sheep. 

Absolutely spot on and frustrating though it is (and it REALLY is) JG has got our tactics ....................................what can I say? Spot on.  

1 hour ago, delpierro said:

If you're happy to pay £29 knowing your team ain't going to make any attempt to attack, then fill your boots.

I haven't paid a penny to either of that pair for decades - wouldn't p1ss on the places if they were on fire never mind set foot in them !

24 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:
30 minutes ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

Out of interest (as I dont know) who was the last team to avoid relegation from the premiership on goal difference?

16 minutes ago, cockles1987 said:

Just had a look, Hamilton 2 seasons ago. emoji106.png

Cockles is bang on the money here, finished 10th. Partick relegated in playoffs.

11 minutes ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

I haven't paid a penny to either of that pair for decades - wouldn't p1ss on the places if they were on fire never mind set foot in them !

Maybe that's why you're so comfortable with a lost opportunity as it was clear to most who watched it they were well off form and that should, IMO, have been picked up at half time by the manager.

A slap in the face for the punters who forked out £29.

Edited by faraway saint

35 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

So should the support still turn up when the manager has stated he wants to just lose by one or two?
If that's the case we will soon have crowds like Hamilton, Livi, Fakes or County.
I cant remember the chairman ever stating that at the start of the season?

You fine well know that’s not what I’m stating.

I’m stating that if you want to get anything from Parkhead or Ibrox, you need to sit back and defend. If you try and take the game to them you will get ripped apart. It’s about keeping the score down and frustrating them, and then the more they push the more they open up. Our supporters should be going to those games knowing we will spend most of it pinned back, expecting anything else is fantasy. We are talking about a team who has beaten Feyenoord and Porto at Greyskull this season, you have to be seriously deluded to think “let’s take the game to them from the start” unless you’ve placed your Sevco 2012 (-5) handicap bet.

Trying to get with the programme here but have to say I struggling with the concept that losing 1-0 to a poorly performing team and only mustering one attempt on goal is not a " Bad Result" ffs...
Didn't expect a result before the game, but if you are 1-0 down, your opponents are misfiring, then as a competitive side (if you harbour any notion you are) you should be pressing for the second 45 to get back in the game.
If not, why bother turning up? Just ask Sevco if they'll take a 1-0 win and field the boys.
Sounds like Goody bottled in at half time?

Rangers pegged us back so couldn’t forward so you are taking bollocks plus our passing was abysmal when we did try to push forward. Goody was right not to take a chance of getting hammered & put a dent in the confidence of the team.

1 minute ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

You fine well know that’s not what I’m stating.

I’m stating that if you want to get anything from Parkhead or Ibrox, you need to sit back and defend. If you try and take the game to them you will get ripped apart. It’s about keeping the score down and frustrating them, and then the more they push the more they open up. Our supporters should be going to those games knowing we will spend most of it pinned back, expecting anything else is fantasy. We are talking about a team who has beaten Feyenoord and Porto at Greyskull this season, you have to be seriously deluded to think “let’s take the game to them from the start” unless you’ve placed your Sevco 2012 (-5) handicap bet.

What you're failing to take into account is the Rangers team last night would struggle to beat Renfrew.

They were poor all over the park, my mate who was their said that was the worst they've played this season and we never laid a glove on them. 

What you're failing to take into account is the Rangers team last night would struggle to beat Renfrew.
They were poor all over the park, my mate who was their said that was the worst they've played this season and we never laid a glove on them. 

Still out played us though !!