Rangers v St Mirren, Wed 22nd Jan 2020

faraway saint

1 minute ago, ged62 said:

Still out played us though !!

Outplayed as in they had more if the ball as we were sitting deep. 

It's purely objective, glad I didn't pay £29 plus extras to watch a team setting for a narrow defeat.

The few brilliant memories people have of Ibrox are when we've had a go, that wasn't happening last night. 

The OF are much further ahead of the pack than they were back in the days when we last beat them in Glasgow. While I understand the dissatisfaction with "park the bus" tactics and the criticism that follows the inevitable defeats for me it's better than coming out for a tea-break at 3:30 one Saturday afternoon under Danny Lennon's tenure to find we were already 4 goals down at Porkheid - I'm sure there would've plenty of criticism of our tactics that day too.

Edited by Bud the Baker

20 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

What you're failing to take into account is the Rangers team last night would struggle to beat Renfrew.

They were poor all over the park, my mate who was their said that was the worst they've played this season and we never laid a glove on them. 

That's interesting, I was there as was my cousin(unfortunately supporting them!!). His take on it was that the way we were set up and the way we went about our performance has been as good if not better than most of the other teams that have played them this year, he reckoned it didn't allow Rangers to pick holes in our defence. He thought our performance made Rangers struggle to find fluency and openings.

When we did open up a bit towards the end they had three good breaks against us, one at least stopped by a professional foul that earned us a booking. Had we allowed the game to stretch like that for half an hour or even 45 minutes we would have been looking at red cards for us and too many breakaway opportunities for them.

That said I do think we could have done better with the possession we did have and that we gave the ball away too easily and too often. That most likely was down to the distance between our midfield and Obika.

Every game against these 2 it’s the same moaning posts from the same people.

Thank goodness no one listens to them. Spot on tactics from the manager last night and I expect us to play the same way against teams with 10x the budget of ourselves moving forward.

I get it now..! Doh...!
The board told us they write these games off and kick kids out of their seats to underline it...!

The manager told us he writes these games off and only tries in the last five minutes, even though we are beat anyway, and the opposition are playing poorly.!

And some fans tell us they write these games off and are happy to take a beating, even when it's obvious we could fight back..!

No wonder some call us St Liedown..!

I get it now..! Doh...!
The board told us they write these games off and kick kids out of their seats to underline it...!

The manager told us he writes these games off and only tries in the last five minutes, even though we are beat anyway, and the opposition are playing poorly.!

And some fans tell us they write these games off and are happy to take a beating, even when it's obvious we could fight back..!

No wonder some call us St Liedown..!

[emoji38]

Thank goodness no one listens to them. Spot on tactics from the manager last night and I expect us to play the same way against teams with 10x the budget of ourselves moving forward.

"Spot on tactics"
Aye if you're a football manager with a gambling addiction and aren't too fussy about 'engineering' how your coupon comes up..!

31 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

What you're failing to take into account is the Rangers team last night would struggle to beat Renfrew.

They were poor all over the park, my mate who was their said that was the worst they've played this season and we never laid a glove on them. 

Rangers bad performance or our decent defensive performance ? 

Because of the way we set up , we limited them to very little in the way of clear cut chances. In the home game at our place it was exactly the same- very little created by them. 

Do they just play badly when they play us , or possibly our tactics have something to do with it. 

Rangers pegged us back so couldn’t forward so you are taking bollocks plus our passing was abysmal when we did try to push forward. Goody was right not to take a chance of getting hammered & put a dent in the confidence of the team.
And how would that confidence be if we had pushed for the whole second half and scored?

Might it be higher than asking the team to ignore the impulse to compete?

Because of the way we set up , we limited them to very little in the way of clear cut chances. In the home game at our place it was exactly the same- very little created by them. 
Do they just play badly when they play us , or possibly our tactics have something to do with it. 
I think you'll find they won again and dont give a shit really!

1 minute ago, Lord Pityme said:
2 minutes ago, munoz said:

I think you'll find they won again and dont give a shit really!

They won't,  but some on here do.

38 minutes ago, TopCat said:

In a very loose analogy.. If my budget has me driving a Ford Focus and I am competing against someone who's budget runs to a Porsche then it makes sense to realise that I will be outgunned in a straight race and to take the safe route round the racecourse and hope for a mistake that let's me in. 

53 minutes ago, WeeBud said:

That's interesting, I was there as was my cousin(unfortunately supporting them!!). His take on it was that the way we were set up and the way we went about our performance has been as good if not better than most of the other teams that have played them this year, he reckoned it didn't allow Rangers to pick holes in our defence. He thought our performance made Rangers struggle to find fluency and openings.

When we did open up a bit towards the end they had three good breaks against us, one at least stopped by a professional foul that earned us a booking. Had we allowed the game to stretch like that for half an hour or even 45 minutes we would have been looking at red cards for us and too many breakaway opportunities for them.

That said I do think we could have done better with the possession we did have and that we gave the ball away too easily and too often. That most likely was down to the distance between our midfield and Obika.

He only said that to get you to get the drinks in. 😉

Just now, faraway saint said:

He only said that to get you to get the drinks in. 😉

He wishes, winner always buys!!

He also said that a lot of the moaning and groaning from their fans comes from their sense of entitlement that they should be rocking up and sticking 4 or 5 against everyone other than Celtic...….he's not wrong there!!

8 minutes ago, WeeBud said:

He wishes, winner always buys!!

He also said that a lot of the moaning and groaning from their fans comes from their sense of entitlement that they should be rocking up and sticking 4 or 5 against everyone other than Celtic...….he's not wrong there!!

I thought the St Mirren Fans there were terrific as always. Backed the team all the way but also joined in respectfully in the minute's applause on the 13 minute mark

I don't often give praise to either of the OF support but I thought the Rangers fans supported their team throughout and was very impressed by the applause they gave to Magennis when he was stretchered past them. 

No fuss from them either when players of both sides blessed themselves before the game. 

Credit where credit is due. 

Edited by St.Ricky

Just now, St.Ricky said:

I thought the St Mirren Fans there were terrific as always. Backed the team all the way but also joined in respectfully in the minute's applause on the 13 minute mark

I don't often give praise to either of the OF support but I thought the Rangers fans supported their team throughout and was very impressed by the applause they gave to Magennis when he was stretchered past them. 

Credit where credit is due. 

Aye, that was just after they were jeering him as they thought he was timewasting.

Criticism where criticism is due.