Rangers v St Mirren, Wed 22nd Jan 2020

faraway saint

4 hours ago, Lord Pityme said:

Do get me wrong..!
I am BIG on goal difference... it's just I believe actually attempting to SCORE goals when you are already losing, and your opponents are playing poorly is more effective, and is proven to work!

By all means yes we want to grab a goal when behind, but it’s not that simple. Someone else on this thread said in the short time we did push forward, Sevco broke away three times. If we try that the moment we go behind, then it’s bum raping time. It’s frustrating but unless you’ve got quality wingers and strikers (by our standards a trio of Morgan, Thompson and Isma) you have to sit tight until 75-80 mins and then make the move.

It was difficult to make a move when the crossing and passing in the forward areas was abysmal constantly giving the ball away when we broke forward only for them to counter attack with more precision. Even our free kicks in their half were piss poor. Would have been different if we could string a couple of passes together and at least keep a cross or forward pass in the field of play.

By all means yes we want to grab a goal when behind, but it’s not that simple. Someone else on this thread said in the short time we did push forward, Sevco broke away three times. If we try that the moment we go behind, then it’s bum raping time. It’s frustrating but unless you’ve got quality wingers and strikers (by our standards a trio of Morgan, Thompson and Isma) you have to sit tight until 75-80 mins and then make the move.
I recall the home game against The Rangers, when McAllister received the ball outside our 18 yrs box and proceeded just tae launch the ball up the pitch.
Why, because not one player attempted to break.
That's what I find frustrating.

24 minutes ago, delpierro said:

I recall the home game against The Rangers, when McAllister received the ball outside our 18 yrs box and proceeded just tae launch the ball up the pitch.
Why, because not one player attempted to break.
That's what I find frustrating.

And that was also an issue at Ibrox. Balls cleared from defence were played into space but with only one man up.. Obika had no chance of reaching most of these. When we put another man up that changed. Still don't think JG got it wrong. 

Edited by St.Ricky

21 hours ago, cockles1987 said:

I could have swore that if you score from a penalty kick that it was a goal. My apologies if they've changed it recently emoji848.png

Screenshot_20200123-144156_Word.jpeg

Nope, didn't think so emoji23.png

consider the league cup group stages where winning on penalties has no effect on the goals for/against column.  Goal difference doesn't matter over any stage of the play-off sequence either-only results.  If the result is a draw, it is recorded as such and the game is over, the penalties happen outside the context of the game to provide an outcome.

The original question was, who has avoided relegation on goal difference based on a statement that goal difference could keep us in the league this season

You really are one of those numpties who think you are never wrong

6 hours ago, faraway saint said:

There it is again, this imaginary 4 or 5 goals. :lol:

Ok, if we'd attacked and got a draw, wow, what would that have done for our goal difference?

What would that have done for this overstated confidence? 

More importantly it would have had us equal with St Johnstone on points.

You do know we went another goal in the wrong direction on Wednesday night? 

IF we'd attacked and we'd won, wow ,goal difference and points would have went in the positive direction, or has that escaped you, and a few other's? 

This is all of course purely subjective.

Some folk think if we open up we'd get tanked. Some folk think if we open up we'd have a chance of winning. We'll never know.

I'm firmly in the we'd get tanked category.

So for the second time....what do YOU think?

Some folk think if we open up we'd get tanked. Some folk think if we open up we'd have a chance of winning. We'll never know.
Regardless of what any one of us thinks... The manager, who knows his players better than the fans do, backed your concerns and played safe.

He has shown good judgement till now and has my full support.

He was honest in his appraisal.

He wants better, but for now, this will have to do. Fair enough.

1 hour ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

I have already said it's subjective.

I have tried to make it clear that people stating other results are irrelevant as the Rangers team and performance was not the same team or performance that I seen on Wednesday night.

It's more than fair diddy teams set out to stop the better team getting on top early doors.

IMO a decent/good/great manages job is to assess the game as it develops. 

At half time, being 1-0 down and they were ineffective it was more than reasonable we could have went after an equaliser.

Not the marauding scenes some seem to think would have seen us losing, again, the famous 4 or 5 goals. 

Again, if that's the way the manager sets his teams out then that's his prerogative.

I think it's a slap in the face for supporters who fork out a small fortune in the hope we get a result.

I sincerely doubt any fans went there on Wednesday thinking, let's just lose narrowly, that's the way to do it. 

Oh, if you can't work out what I think form that well feck knows what else I can do. 

PS If the forum fool/troll comments please don't quote him, he does my fecking head in. :lol:

Edited by faraway saint

2 hours ago, beyond our ken said:

consider the league cup group stages where winning on penalties has no effect on the goals for/against column.  Goal difference doesn't matter over any stage of the play-off sequence either-only results.  If the result is a draw, it is recorded as such and the game is over, the penalties happen outside the context of the game to provide an outcome.

The original question was, who has avoided relegation on goal difference based on a statement that goal difference could keep us in the league this season

You really are one of those numpties who think you are never wrong

Avoiding the play offs by goal difference is possible. 

3 hours ago, faraway saint said:

I have already said it's subjective.

I have tried to make it clear that people stating other results are irrelevant as the Rangers team and performance was not the same team or performance that I seen on Wednesday night.

It's more than fair diddy teams set out to stop the better team getting on top early doors.

IMO a decent/good/great manages job is to assess the game as it develops. 

At half time, being 1-0 down and they were ineffective it was more than reasonable we could have went after an equaliser.

Not the marauding scenes some seem to think would have seen us losing, again, the famous 4 or 5 goals. 

Again, if that's the way the manager sets his teams out then that's his prerogative.

I think it's a slap in the face for supporters who fork out a small fortune in the hope we get a result.

I sincerely doubt any fans went there on Wednesday thinking, let's just lose narrowly, that's the way to do it. 

Oh, if you can't work out what I think form that well feck knows what else I can do. 

PS If the forum fool/troll comments please don't quote him, he does my fecking head in. :lol:

Don’t disagree with much of that, but let me put it another way.

it sounds like you think a keep it tight tactic should be ditched as soon as you go behind regardless of when that is during the match e.g. first half for example. 

Your posts in this topic come across a bit “Devil’s Advocate” and it didn’t sound like you were firmly stating your own opinion as to whether those tactics were right or wrong.

So do you think it was wrong to continue to keep it tight and have a go later on? Do you think we should’ve just changed our tactics straight away?

6 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Don’t disagree with much of that, but let me put it another way.

it sounds like you think a keep it tight tactic should be ditched as soon as you go behind regardless of when that is during the match e.g. first half for example. 

Your posts in this topic come across a bit “Devil’s Advocate” and it didn’t sound like you were firmly stating your own opinion as to whether those tactics were right or wrong.

So do you think it was wrong to continue to keep it tight and have a go later on? Do you think we should’ve just changed our tactics straight away?

I'm out. :byebye

32 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Well Hearts who are rank had a go, and guess what?
Yeah our 1-0 loss will go down in the annals of football history as "well at least it wasnt five"...
It's not rocket science ffs

They were the home team and got Rangers at the right time. They got hammered at Castle Greyskull in the last game. Well done to them today. Time will tell how 'rank' they are at season end. Other than Celtic in the previous Ibrox game, name me another SPL who has gone for an attacking strategy at Ibrox?

They were the home team and got Rangers at the right time. They got hammered at Castle Greyskull in the last game. Well done to them today. Time will tell how 'rank' they are at season end. Other than Celtic in the previous Ibrox game, name me another SPL who has gone for an attacking strategy at Ibrox?
Hearts f**ked them today, Goody shat it... get over it.

13 hours ago, Lord Pityme said:
16 hours ago, nedflanders123 said:

Hearts f**ked them today, Goody shat it... get over it.

You were the one complaining and not me. I note you never answered my question as to which other team has gone to Ibrox and adopted an attack strategy?  I don't need to get over anything as a long time supporter who has seen more downs than ups in over 50 years. Rangers are a far better team than us and I didn't expect anything from the game.  As for Hearts? Livvie beat Celtic this season at home so it can happen albeit very rarely.

I can't get my head around the negativity around this game. We were narrowly defeated, away from home, against the team second in the league, following a Deflection from McGinn tapped in by Defoe. Let's get real guys. 

Truly one of the most bizarre threads I’ve ever read on here.

A 1-0 defeat at Ibrox is now seen as a terrible result by a section of our fans.

1 minute ago, TopCat said:

Truly one of the most bizarre threads I’ve ever read on here.

A 1-0 defeat at Ibrox is now seen as a terrible result by a section of our fans.

I don't see many/any saying the result was terrible, the performance has been questioned.

Don't you understand the difference?