St Mirren v Aberdeen 12.30 26 1 2020

St.Ricky

If Hibs offer more money, little we could do. He's good but not irreplaceable. However, if he goes now we need to get a replacement in, we can't go the rest of the season with only Flynn, who is really a midfielder, able to play at right back.

Hendo, in isolation I can’t disagree with your general points..... my frustration is his contractual position should have been dealt with long ago, unfortunately the legal team have dealt more in pay offs than sign on fees. Therefore perhaps could have a better chance to financially compete if we were not so wasteful with finance. I agree that in general terms actually no one is irreplaceable but can anyone quickly name a player who has performed well in so many different positions, I had to go back several decades to think of one. Re Flynn agree, and my comments is no reflection on his performances, since Aberdeen away last year he has been fantastic for us, but I think like you, I would like to see him back in the middle of the park every week.

46 minutes ago, BuddieinEK said:

He should have scored but it wasn't a simple tap in and can be forgiven.

What I struggled with was how easily he was brushed off the ball in every challenge, and how little he was able to win the ball or hold it up.

He had been improving, but that was a very poor display all round.

Cooke should have replaced him at half time... He has a contract to play for and a point to prove!

In fairness Cooke came on and done nothing but fall on his arse every couple of minutes. 

To all the people who defend Obika week on week out despite him being horrendous in front of goal and now missed another sitter, give you Liam Boyce a guy who will save Hearts from Relegation, will outscore Obika despite playing half the matches he has played.

The 6 team fight to avoid relegation could easily become a 5 very soon if Hearts continue as they did today.

If we had a decent striker we would have been sitting here after beating Aberdeen 3 times this season.

8 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

To all the people who defend Obika week on week out despite him being horrendous in front of goal and now missed another sitter, give you Liam Boyce a guy who will save Hearts from Relegation, will outscore Obika despite playing half the matches he has played.

The 6 team fight to avoid relegation could easily become a 5 very soon if Hearts continue as they did today.

If we had a decent striker we would have been sitting here after beating Aberdeen 3 times this season.

I must have missed Obika's sitter.  The only real chance he had in the game was the one where he was very unlucky with the one off the post. 

Just now, munoz said:

I must have missed Obika's sitter.  The only real chance he had in the game was the one where he was very unlucky with the one off the post. 

Let's not kid, it was a sitter but unlucky it didn't go in.

For most strikers this was a chance they dream off.

I've already said I wouldn't be too hard on him as it wasn't a poor effort but it was a great chance. 

Just now, faraway saint said:

Let's not kid, it was a sitter but unlucky it didn't go in.

For most strikers this was a chance they dream off.

I've already said I wouldn't be too hard on him as it wasn't a poor effort but it was a great chance. 

Good chance that he didn't do much wrong with. Put it by Lewis who is about 6,3 with 2 Aberdeen defenders close to him. 

He didn't do much wrong in the game with very little service yet again. 

Just now, munoz said:

Good chance that he didn't do much wrong with. Put it by Lewis who is about 6,3 with 2 Aberdeen defenders close to him. 

I never said he did do much wrong FFS.

As for the defenders close to him, he had a clear strike, seen players under more pressure. 

As for the game, and also the Rangers game, no, not a lot of criticism as not many opportunities.

However, he is our main man, it is chances like today's that could define our season. 

He should have scored but it wasn't a simple tap in and can be forgiven.

What I struggled with was how easily he was brushed off the ball in every challenge, and how little he was able to win the ball or hold it up.

He had been improving, but that was a very poor display all round.

Cooke should have replaced him at half time... He has a contract to play for and a point to prove!

I’m not being critical of Obika (and I don’t like criticising any Saints player) but you’re spot on about his performance today. The ball just seems to bounce off him allowing Aberdeen to get back on the front foot. He was up against a big physical back line to be fair.

11 minutes ago, Russian Saint said:

I’m not being critical of Obika (and I don’t like criticising any Saints player) but you’re spot on about his performance today. The ball just seems to bounce off him allowing Aberdeen to get back on the front foot. He was up against a big physical back line to be fair.

The best players in the park today were the 4 centre backs. Ours and theirs. IMO. Kept opportunities  to a minimum 

Edited by St.Ricky

52 minutes ago, Lager Tops said:

Hendo, in isolation I can’t disagree with your general points..... my frustration is his contractual position should have been dealt with long ago, unfortunately the legal team have dealt more in pay offs than sign on fees. Therefore perhaps could have a better chance to financially compete if we were not so wasteful with finance. I agree that in general terms actually no one is irreplaceable but can anyone quickly name a player who has performed well in so many different positions, I had to go back several decades to think of one. Re Flynn agree, and my comments is no reflection on his performances, since Aberdeen away last year he has been fantastic for us, but I think like you, I would like to see him back in the middle of the park every week.

We won't be sorting any of the out of contact player's futures until we're safe from relegation.

19 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

I never said he did do much wrong FFS.

As for the defenders close to him, he had a clear strike, seen players under more pressure. 

As for the game, and also the Rangers game, no, not a lot of criticism as not many opportunities.

However, he is our main man, it is chances like today's that could define our season. 

It wasn't directed at you, more the experts that think he isn't good enough. 

34 minutes ago, munoz said:

He has no ball control, cant finish when given a strikers dream chance and never wins high balls. A terrible footballer and as soon as we find a decent striker he will not be with us.

2 minutes ago, munoz said:

You don't have to be an expert to see he is not doing his job as a forward in any capacity. Somebody mentioned poor service - correct, the midfield fail to give him decent pass most of the time. A clinical striker would've buried that one opportunity he got however.

Just as the midfield doesn't supply good service, he doesn't lay off the ball or win headers effectively.

Time to try something else, personnel wise and tacticaly

Its Paul McGinn, good servant but a bog standard right back.

I was asked by a Rangers season ticket holding mate before Wednesday if we had a chance of getting anything at Ibrox I told him no as our main striker cannot score easy chances.

That is the story of Obika's season every single clear cut chance he has had he has missed.

This won't only define his season but ours plenty people on here defended him last week after missing 3 sitters against Broxburn my answer to that was its not the scoring 2 out of 6 chances against a 6th tier team its the games where he gets one chance to win a tight game 1-0 and today proved that perfectly.

Obika gets bad rep. He continually feeds off scraps and does well with his back to goal. His biggest problem is his lack of control. Turns a defender but his touch let's him down constantly. The "miss" was far from the sitter most making it out to be. He's a nuisance I still maintain we need a finisher to play off him. That's what Goodwin will be seeking rather than a replacement.

You don't have to be an expert to see he is not doing his job as a forward in any capacity. Somebody mentioned poor service - correct, the midfield fail to give him decent pass most of the time. A clinical striker would've buried that one opportunity he got however.
Just as the midfield doesn't supply good service, he doesn't lay off the ball or win headers effectively.
Time to try something else, personnel wise and tacticaly

10 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

I was asked by a Rangers season ticket holding mate before Wednesday if we had a chance of getting anything at Ibrox I told him no as our main striker cannot score easy chances.

That is the story of Obika's season every single clear cut chance he has had he has missed.

This won't only define his season but ours plenty people on here defended him last week after missing 3 sitters against Broxburn my answer to that was its not the scoring 2 out of 6 chances against a 6th tier team its the games where he gets one chance to win a tight game 1-0 and today proved that perfectly.

He cannot even score at the wee warm up at shooting they have before a game ,have yet to see him even hit the target !

Guest TPAFKATS
McCarthy is some find if he can keep that level of performance up. Strolled that game against one of the most physical and dangerous strikers in the League. Surely there must be some decent strikers in the LOI.
After the game Jim was complaining about our inability to make the ball stick up front. So why wait until 10 mins to go before changing it Jim?
Obika is hopeless - how many 1-1 with a keeper has he had and never scored? Andreu doesn't work hard enough and although Morias has improved recently he was honking out wide. I admit I was wrong when I thought he could play wide but he gave us no width by keep coming inside and coming back for the ball instead of stretching the defence.
McGinn should have started with Flynn wide right and wee Danny up front. But a point is a point even if this Dons are very poor.
Hope Paul stays but cannot blame him if he can more than double his wages.
Agree with most of this although as frustrating as obika and andreu are the rest really didn't help by mostly playing passes that they had to stretch for while trying to hold of a defender with their back to goal.
Junior had a poor game- looked like the guy we signed in August.