St Mirren v Aberdeen 12.30 26 1 2020

St.Ricky

Guest TPAFKATS

Hendo, in isolation I can’t disagree with your general points..... my frustration is his contractual position should have been dealt with long ago, unfortunately the legal team have dealt more in pay offs than sign on fees. Therefore perhaps could have a better chance to financially compete if we were not so wasteful with finance. I agree that in general terms actually no one is irreplaceable but can anyone quickly name a player who has performed well in so many different positions, I had to go back several decades to think of one. Re Flynn agree, and my comments is no reflection on his performances, since Aberdeen away last year he has been fantastic for us, but I think like you, I would like to see him back in the middle of the park every week.
Do you know his contractual position hasn't been "dealt with"?
Do you know we have a legal team that's been too busy paying staff off to offer new deals to players?
If we hadn't paid contracts off early would we be able to compete with hibs on wages?

Guest TPAFKATS
To all the people who defend Obika week on week out despite him being horrendous in front of goal and now missed another sitter, give you Liam Boyce a guy who will save Hearts from Relegation, will outscore Obika despite playing half the matches he has played.

The 6 team fight to avoid relegation could easily become a 5 very soon if Hearts continue as they did today.

If we had a decent striker we would have been sitting here after beating Aberdeen 3 times this season.

You could also include Edouard at celtic and Morelos at the rangers. Cosgrove at Aberdeen as well as Boyce. Are you suggesting we should be paying the kind of wages hearts will be spunking on Boyce in a January gamble?

I must have missed Obika's sitter.  The only real chance he had in the game was the one where he was very unlucky with the one off the post. 
It's no the chances he disnae take, it's his ball control; 1st touch is atrocious.
As for, Morias, he's one of those guys you had in yer team mainly because he tried hard, but is really a shit fitba player.

No I'm not suggesting anything like that my idea is by February I would have expected my main striker to have Scored some of the one on one/clear cut chances/sitters he has had up to then but to have not scored even 1 of these chances is embarrassing.

You could also include Edouard at celtic and Morelos at the rangers. Cosgrove at Aberdeen as well as Boyce. Are you suggesting we should be paying the kind of wages hearts will be spunking on Boyce in a January gamble?

Do you know his contractual position hasn't been "dealt with"?
Do you know we have a legal team that's been too busy paying staff off to offer new deals to players?
If we hadn't paid contracts off early would we be able to compete with hibs on wages?

In sequence
1. Yes- his contractual position hasn’t been dealt with... hence current situation
2. I didn’t say legal team are too busy to offer new deals, but sure you can look again at wording
3. Almost certainly not on direct wages, but if we go back to point one and had him signed before now, with sign on or better terms it would not be an issue as not aware Hibs were interested 6 months + ago.... if they were pre PCA then a difficult ask to hold onto if the approach was before legal allowance

11 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:
1 hour ago, Ronnie said:
To all the people who defend Obika week on week out despite him being horrendous in front of goal and now missed another sitter, give you Liam Boyce a guy who will save Hearts from Relegation, will outscore Obika despite playing half the matches he has played.

The 6 team fight to avoid relegation could easily become a 5 very soon if Hearts continue as they did today.

If we had a decent striker we would have been sitting here after beating Aberdeen 3 times this season.

If you'd watched him today, and it's early days, you'd realise they look to have a player.

What price saving them from relegation? 

His performance, and the lift he gave to the team was massive, albeit on one game. 

6 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

If you'd watched him today, and it's early days, you'd realise they look to have a player.

His performance, and the lift he gave to the team was massive, albeit on one game. 

Would you bet on it? 

Guest TPAFKATS

Should we be paying those level of wages though?

3 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:
11 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Should we be paying those level of wages though?

You inferred they were wasting money. 

Guest TPAFKATS

In sequence
1. Yes- his contractual position hasn’t been dealt with... hence current situation
2. I didn’t say legal team are too busy to offer new deals, but sure you can look again at wording
3. Almost certainly not on direct wages, but if we go back to point one and had him signed before now, with sign on or better terms it would not be an issue as not aware Hibs were interested 6 months + ago.... if they were pre PCA then a difficult ask to hold onto if the approach was before legal allowance
How do you know the club haven't spoken with him or his agent about a new contract?
Any deal we offer woukd be subject to a wage cut if we were relegated.
I think hibs are only interested now due to ongoing injuries?

I'd like him to stay as he's been a consistent performer over last season and a half however if hibs offer him a deal he's likely to be off due to wage structure.
Same as why we shouldn't be comparing our strikers with hearts wages, especially when they are throwing money at staying up.

Obkika is far too static. He is marked but he never peels off right or.left or indicates to midfield players to put it right or left. He waits for the ball to come to him and doesn't move towards the forward pass to give himself a yard. He needs to create some space for himself but continually fails to do so.

How do you know the club haven't spoken with him or his agent about a new contract?
Any deal we offer woukd be subject to a wage cut if we were relegated.
I think hibs are only interested now due to ongoing injuries?

I'd like him to stay as he's been a consistent performer over last season and a half however if hibs offer him a deal he's likely to be off due to wage structure.
Same as why we shouldn't be comparing our strikers with hearts wages, especially when they are throwing money at staying up.

TPAFKATS , I didn’t say the club hadn’t spoken with him or agent so you seem to be reading into words I have not posted for some reason.

We both however look like we agree on wishing he would stay, albeit how we arrived at this point is the difference.
Anyway, a point won today and we move on to what will be another challenging season. Have a good night.

They definitely having wasted it quite sure today was his 15th goal of the season double what Obika has.

Also read somewhere online today that his goals to games ratio is the best of any striker currently playing in Scotland.

Seems like money well spent to me.

Only one game. They are throwing money at it, IF they stay up they haven't wasted it.

20 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

They definitely having wasted it quite sure today was his 15th goal of the season double what Obika has.

Also read somewhere online today that his goals to games ratio is the best of any striker currently playing in Scotland.

You have to be able to fund it. Word is that he is in £6k a week. A glance at the average wages paid per club shows that we would expect to fund 4 or 5 players for that budget. 

25 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Makes you wonder how a mediocre team like Burton in the third tier let him go? Was decent during his last time up here.

2 hours ago, nedflanders123 said:

Makes you wonder how a mediocre team like Burton in the third tier let him go? Was decent during his last time up here.

It doesn’t really make you wonder. Mediocre teams in the third tier of English football are still considerably better and bigger than most SPFL teams. Hard as that may be to swallow. 

Guest TPAFKATS
Aye, I said one game. :huh:
What did you expect them to do? 

I'm not having a go at hearts, I'm pointing out it's not really a realistic comparison to expect us to match their spending or wages.

Looking back at the game and the result got me thinking... We just drew with Aberdeen who have been in the top 3 sides consistently over a number of years and we feel bad about it. That, in a way, is progress. In seasons gone bye a draw with the Dons was something to celebrate. 

48 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

Looking back at the game and the result got me thinking... We just drew with Aberdeen who have been in the top 3 sides consistently over a number of years and we feel bad about it. That, in a way, is progress. In seasons gone bye a draw with the Dons was something to celebrate. 

Aberdeen are not a good team this season. Doesnt matter what theyve done previously. I was speaking to a couple of their supporters last night and they were not looking forward to today's game because theyve been so bad. I thought their general play was awful today. If we had any sort of quality we wouldve beaten them 

The league is absolutely terrible this year. We have some of the worst and most ineffective players i've seen in a long time yet some of our opponents are worse!

If we had any sort of quality, even Oran Kearneys team wouldve been mid table by now. 

Never been so bored at games. I know results are what matter but I cant watch the equivalent of paint drying much longer. Did we have a shot on goal apart from obika's sitter? Shocking for a home team.

And before anyone has a go at me, we've all watched the likes of Morgan, Mallan recently, strikers like Yardley, Lavety even Gavin Reilly! What we are currently watching is rubbish!

Edited by Big Yards

The league is absolutely terrible this year. We have some of the worst and most ineffective players i've seen in a long time yet some of our opponents are worse!
If we had any sort of quality, even Oran Kearneys team wouldve been mid table by now. 
Never been so bored at games. I know results are what matter but I cant watch the equivalent of paint drying much longer. Did we have a shot on goal apart from obika's sitter? Shocking for a home team.

And before anyone has a go at me, we've all watched the likes of Morgan, Mallan recently, strikers like Yardley, Lavety even Gavin Reilly! What we are currently watching is rubbish!

It was a hard watch today, against a very poor Aberdeen side.

I’d prefer to see us try to win these matches (from the start) rather than set up not to lose.