St Mirren v Aberdeen 12.30 26 1 2020

St.Ricky

7 hours ago, Ronnie said:

To all the people who defend Obika week on week out despite him being horrendous in front of goal and now missed another sitter, give you Liam Boyce a guy who will save Hearts from Relegation, will outscore Obika despite playing half the matches he has played.

The 6 team fight to avoid relegation could easily become a 5 very soon if Hearts continue as they did today.

If we had a decent striker we would have been sitting here after beating Aberdeen 3 times this season.

Well unfortunately we don't have 150k to buy him and 10k a week to pay his wages. It's quite simple really.

Comparing Obika to a player we can't afford is pointless.

5 hours ago, Big Yards said:

Aberdeen are not a good team this season. Doesnt matter what theyve done previously. I was speaking to a couple of their supporters last night and they were not looking forward to today's game because theyve been so bad. I thought their general play was awful today. If we had any sort of quality we wouldve beaten them 

Clearly, we agree that the current. Form of Aberdeen is not as it was in the past. I said so. 

We had the three best chances in the game and yes we should have scored with at least one and won the game. 

But, we didn't. They didn't score either so what we got was an unedifying draw which left fans of both teams less than ecstatic. 

Aberdeen are still in 4th Place in almost double our league points. They have one of the leagues top scorers in Cosgrove. 

Credit to our team. A clean sheet and a point may not have been a job well done but on balance, better than my initial reaction. 

8 hours ago, St.Ricky said:

Looking back at the game and the result got me thinking... We just drew with Aberdeen who have been in the top 3 sides consistently over a number of years and we feel bad about it. That, in a way, is progress. In seasons gone bye a draw with the Dons was something to celebrate. 

1 hour ago, St.Ricky said:

Clearly, we agree that the current. Form of Aberdeen is not as it was in the past. I said so. 

No you didn't. 

7 hours ago, Big Yards said:

Aberdeen are not a good team this season. Doesnt matter what theyve done previously. I was speaking to a couple of their supporters last night and they were not looking forward to today's game because theyve been so bad. I thought their general play was awful today. If we had any sort of quality we wouldve beaten them 

Precisely the point I made when we played Rangers last week.

Rangers previous results were not relevant, their form on the night was poor hence my belief we should have made more of that opportunity.

Should we have beat Aberdeen, maybe, overall I thought the game was pretty even, although both sides were poor IMO. 

Another one in the long list of know it alls.

We're you in the Hearts boardroom???

Are you Boyce's agent???

Boyce played for Ross County and Burton Albion not exactly footballing giants are they???

I'm comparing the guys wages or transfer fee I'm comparing his ability as in he has had one half chance and scored Obika has had roughly 10 really easy chances this season and scored not one of them.

I said last week after Obika Broxburn horror misses that the tight games with one chance to win it will be the difference with 6 teams fighting to avoid relegation and just 1 week later Obika proved my point.

Well unfortunately we don't have 150k to buy him and 10k a week to pay his wages. It's quite simple really.
Comparing Obika to a player we can't afford is pointless.

17 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Are you Boyce's agent???

Boyce played for Ross County and Burton Albion not exactly footballing giants are they???

I'm comparing the guys wages or transfer fee I'm comparing his ability as in he has had one half chance and scored Obika has had roughly 10 really easy chances this season and scored not one of them.

I said last week after Obika Broxburn horror misses that the tight games with one chance to win it will be the difference with 6 teams fighting to avoid relegation and just 1 week later Obika proved my point.

Obika scored twice against Broxburn.  

If you are looking for St Mirren to sign a striker that scores every week with minimal chances created for them, then I think you are going to be disappointed. This is not going happen in our wage range. 

Guest TPAFKATS

Are you Boyce's agent???

It's reported in the press that hearts are paying (up to) 200k for Boyce and he's on 6k a week wages.Of course none of us are in the hearts boardroom however I don't think it's wrong to suggest that he is out of our price range and we can't match the wages offered by hearts. It is therefore, an unfair comparison.

The only player in Scotland who comes close to consistently scoring with single chances would be Edouard at celtic. He cost 9 million and they won't be keeping him long term.

10 hours ago, fan4ever said:

I think jim should have replaced obika with Mullen. I hope he starts with danny against hibs and especially Hamilton. 

Never going to happen. Sometimes managers have blind spots for their favourites and Obika is a favourite. Never dropped or subbed no matter how mediocre or bad he is playing.

Jim complained after the game yesterday that we need to make the ball stick in the final third.  And if it ain't working Jim why wait until the 80th minute to change it and not replace the guys who were predominately at fault and sub Ilkay the only guy who was taking the ball to Aberdeen?

Think Mullen and Cooke are suffering from something a lot managers do. Goody signed Obika so I'm playing him. Not that I think Mullen or Cooke could do any better but wouldn't be any worse.

Never going to happen. Sometimes managers have blind spots for their favourites and Obika is a favourite. Never dropped or subbed no matter how mediocre or bad he is playing.
Jim complained after the game yesterday that we need to make the ball stick in the final third.  And if it ain't working Jim why wait until the 80th minute to change it and not replace the guys who were predominately at fault and sub Ilkay the only guy who was taking the ball to Aberdeen?

3 hours ago, munoz said:

Obika scored twice against Broxburn.  

If you are looking for St Mirren to sign a striker that scores every week with minimal chances created for them, then I think you are going to be disappointed. This is not going happen in our wage range. 

Looking for a striker who can do the basics of the game at least!

8 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:
2 hours ago, Big Yards said:
We didnt need ambition we just needed a striker who could score an easy chance

How do you define easy?

6 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Jeezo. 

He has a point. His one and only chance on Sunday wasn't an easy one. 

If the supply to him improves,  I reckon so will his goal tally.  

Guest TPAFKATS
It was a very good chance. He was however outside the box and the keeper was coming out to narrow the angle. Mckenna was going on to challenge him.

I have only missed 3 games this season and pretty sure my memory stands up to 6 months of matches.

I said this yesterday on here and last week after Broxburn, every single chance Obika has had that you would call easy he has missed so getting a better supply won't necessarily improve his goal tally.

On your previous post you mentioned he scored 2 v Broxburn he missed 3 unbelievably easy chances in the first half against them that imo most strikers would have scored.

I would love to sit here and be proved wrong, i just want a striker that could convert the odd easy chance as if he had done that we certainly would have had a few more points on the board.

If we continue like this there will be more 0-0 and potentially 1 goal defeats because our inability to take easy chances will kill us.

Thommo said pretty much exactly this on Sportscene last night.

Last 4 games Celtic, Killie, Rangers and Aberdeen, 4 points collected and progression in the cup. On Christmas day most would have accepted that outcome yet here we are moaning and bitching as if we were on a horrific Killie style run. We have been steadily keeping the scoreboard ticking over and gave become much harder to beat yet some now moan about the style of play. Seems management just cant win no matter what they do. We are 2 points off 7th ffs let's try getting behind the players rather than lambasting them game in game out regardless of the result.

1 hour ago, munoz said:

1 hour ago, TPAFKATS said:
1 hour ago, munoz said:

It was a very good chance. He was however outside the box and the keeper was coming out to narrow the angle. Mckenna was going on to challenge him.

Jeezo, when people are falling over themselves trying to defend our main striker they don't half get their knickers in a twist.

You can use as many terms as you like, it's all subjective.

Easy, very good, wasn't easy, take yer pick.

So, anyone can call it as they see it, there's no right or wrong.

I've already said it was a more than decent chance, how many strikers love being straight through with only the goalkeeper to beat?

Asking anyone to define "easy" is just trying to deflect away from the fact he missed. 

44 minutes ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

Last 4 games Celtic, Killie, Rangers and Aberdeen, 4 points collected and progression in the cup. On Christmas day most would have accepted that outcome yet here we are moaning and bitching as if we were on a horrific Killie style run. We have been steadily keeping the scoreboard ticking over and gave become much harder to beat yet some now moan about the style of play. Seems management just cant win no matter what they do. We are 2 points off 7th ffs let's try getting behind the players rather than lambasting them game in game out regardless of the result.

Indeed not too shabby.

What you have to think of is now we are in the last set of games we still have to play both Rangers and Celtic.

Two of our current rivals for relegation have already played them, Ross County losing to Celtic and Hearts beating Rangers.

It more than unlikely we will get sweet FA from both these games while these two teams only have one game to play against the top two. 

There's still lots of twists and turns to go, I've already said the points we've taken against Aberdeen could be a massive difference come the end of the season, although they are on a terrible run over the last 8 games or so. 

Oh, your "progression in the cup" point.....................:lol:

2 hours ago, Ronnie said:

I have only missed 3 games this season and pretty sure my memory stands up to 6 months of matches.

I said this yesterday on here and last week after Broxburn, every single chance Obika has had that you would call easy he has missed so getting a better supply won't necessarily improve his goal tally.

On your previous post you mentioned he scored 2 v Broxburn he missed 3 unbelievably easy chances in the first half against them that imo most strikers would have scored.

I would love to sit here and be proved wrong, i just want a striker that could convert the odd easy chance as if he had done that we certainly would have had a few more points on the board.

If we continue like this there will be more 0-0 and potentially 1 goal defeats because our inability to take easy chances will kill us.

Thommo said pretty much exactly this on Sportscene last night.

Its funny that you mention Thommo , as Obika could quite easily beat ST best seasons tally of 16 in all competitions.