St.Ricky

St Mirren v Aberdeen 12.30 26 1 2020

How do you know the club haven't spoken with him or his agent about a new contract?
Any deal we offer woukd be subject to a wage cut if we were relegated.
I think hibs are only interested now due to ongoing injuries?

I'd like him to stay as he's been a consistent performer over last season and a half however if hibs offer him a deal he's likely to be off due to wage structure.
Same as why we shouldn't be comparing our strikers with hearts wages, especially when they are throwing money at staying up.

TPAFKATS , I didn’t say the club hadn’t spoken with him or agent so you seem to be reading into words I have not posted for some reason.

We both however look like we agree on wishing he would stay, albeit how we arrived at this point is the difference.
Anyway, a point won today and we move on to what will be another challenging season. Have a good night.

They definitely having wasted it quite sure today was his 15th goal of the season double what Obika has.

Also read somewhere online today that his goals to games ratio is the best of any striker currently playing in Scotland.

Seems like money well spent to me.

Only one game. They are throwing money at it, IF they stay up they haven't wasted it.

20 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

They definitely having wasted it quite sure today was his 15th goal of the season double what Obika has.

Also read somewhere online today that his goals to games ratio is the best of any striker currently playing in Scotland.

You have to be able to fund it. Word is that he is in £6k a week. A glance at the average wages paid per club shows that we would expect to fund 4 or 5 players for that budget. 

25 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Makes you wonder how a mediocre team like Burton in the third tier let him go? Was decent during his last time up here.

2 hours ago, nedflanders123 said:

Makes you wonder how a mediocre team like Burton in the third tier let him go? Was decent during his last time up here.

It doesn’t really make you wonder. Mediocre teams in the third tier of English football are still considerably better and bigger than most SPFL teams. Hard as that may be to swallow. 

Aye, I said one game. :huh:
What did you expect them to do? 

I'm not having a go at hearts, I'm pointing out it's not really a realistic comparison to expect us to match their spending or wages.

Looking back at the game and the result got me thinking... We just drew with Aberdeen who have been in the top 3 sides consistently over a number of years and we feel bad about it. That, in a way, is progress. In seasons gone bye a draw with the Dons was something to celebrate. 

48 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

Looking back at the game and the result got me thinking... We just drew with Aberdeen who have been in the top 3 sides consistently over a number of years and we feel bad about it. That, in a way, is progress. In seasons gone bye a draw with the Dons was something to celebrate. 

Aberdeen are not a good team this season. Doesnt matter what theyve done previously. I was speaking to a couple of their supporters last night and they were not looking forward to today's game because theyve been so bad. I thought their general play was awful today. If we had any sort of quality we wouldve beaten them 

The league is absolutely terrible this year. We have some of the worst and most ineffective players i've seen in a long time yet some of our opponents are worse!

If we had any sort of quality, even Oran Kearneys team wouldve been mid table by now. 

Never been so bored at games. I know results are what matter but I cant watch the equivalent of paint drying much longer. Did we have a shot on goal apart from obika's sitter? Shocking for a home team.

And before anyone has a go at me, we've all watched the likes of Morgan, Mallan recently, strikers like Yardley, Lavety even Gavin Reilly! What we are currently watching is rubbish!

Edited by Big Yards

The league is absolutely terrible this year. We have some of the worst and most ineffective players i've seen in a long time yet some of our opponents are worse!
If we had any sort of quality, even Oran Kearneys team wouldve been mid table by now. 
Never been so bored at games. I know results are what matter but I cant watch the equivalent of paint drying much longer. Did we have a shot on goal apart from obika's sitter? Shocking for a home team.

And before anyone has a go at me, we've all watched the likes of Morgan, Mallan recently, strikers like Yardley, Lavety even Gavin Reilly! What we are currently watching is rubbish!

It was a hard watch today, against a very poor Aberdeen side.

I’d prefer to see us try to win these matches (from the start) rather than set up not to lose.

7 hours ago, Ronnie said:

To all the people who defend Obika week on week out despite him being horrendous in front of goal and now missed another sitter, give you Liam Boyce a guy who will save Hearts from Relegation, will outscore Obika despite playing half the matches he has played.

The 6 team fight to avoid relegation could easily become a 5 very soon if Hearts continue as they did today.

If we had a decent striker we would have been sitting here after beating Aberdeen 3 times this season.

Well unfortunately we don't have 150k to buy him and 10k a week to pay his wages. It's quite simple really.

Comparing Obika to a player we can't afford is pointless.

5 hours ago, Big Yards said:

Aberdeen are not a good team this season. Doesnt matter what theyve done previously. I was speaking to a couple of their supporters last night and they were not looking forward to today's game because theyve been so bad. I thought their general play was awful today. If we had any sort of quality we wouldve beaten them 

Clearly, we agree that the current. Form of Aberdeen is not as it was in the past. I said so. 

We had the three best chances in the game and yes we should have scored with at least one and won the game. 

But, we didn't. They didn't score either so what we got was an unedifying draw which left fans of both teams less than ecstatic. 

Aberdeen are still in 4th Place in almost double our league points. They have one of the leagues top scorers in Cosgrove. 

Credit to our team. A clean sheet and a point may not have been a job well done but on balance, better than my initial reaction. 

8 hours ago, St.Ricky said:

1 hour ago, St.Ricky said:

Clearly, we agree that the current. Form of Aberdeen is not as it was in the past. I said so. 

No you didn't. 

7 hours ago, Big Yards said:

Precisely the point I made when we played Rangers last week.

Rangers previous results were not relevant, their form on the night was poor hence my belief we should have made more of that opportunity.

Should we have beat Aberdeen, maybe, overall I thought the game was pretty even, although both sides were poor IMO. 

Another one in the long list of know it alls.

We're you in the Hearts boardroom???

Are you Boyce's agent???

Boyce played for Ross County and Burton Albion not exactly footballing giants are they???

I'm comparing the guys wages or transfer fee I'm comparing his ability as in he has had one half chance and scored Obika has had roughly 10 really easy chances this season and scored not one of them.

I said last week after Obika Broxburn horror misses that the tight games with one chance to win it will be the difference with 6 teams fighting to avoid relegation and just 1 week later Obika proved my point.

Well unfortunately we don't have 150k to buy him and 10k a week to pay his wages. It's quite simple really.
Comparing Obika to a player we can't afford is pointless.

17 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Are you Boyce's agent???

Boyce played for Ross County and Burton Albion not exactly footballing giants are they???

I'm comparing the guys wages or transfer fee I'm comparing his ability as in he has had one half chance and scored Obika has had roughly 10 really easy chances this season and scored not one of them.

I said last week after Obika Broxburn horror misses that the tight games with one chance to win it will be the difference with 6 teams fighting to avoid relegation and just 1 week later Obika proved my point.

Obika scored twice against Broxburn.  

If you are looking for St Mirren to sign a striker that scores every week with minimal chances created for them, then I think you are going to be disappointed. This is not going happen in our wage range. 

Are you Boyce's agent???

It's reported in the press that hearts are paying (up to) 200k for Boyce and he's on 6k a week wages.Of course none of us are in the hearts boardroom however I don't think it's wrong to suggest that he is out of our price range and we can't match the wages offered by hearts. It is therefore, an unfair comparison.

The only player in Scotland who comes close to consistently scoring with single chances would be Edouard at celtic. He cost 9 million and they won't be keeping him long term.

10 hours ago, fan4ever said:

I think jim should have replaced obika with Mullen. I hope he starts with danny against hibs and especially Hamilton. 

Never going to happen. Sometimes managers have blind spots for their favourites and Obika is a favourite. Never dropped or subbed no matter how mediocre or bad he is playing.

Jim complained after the game yesterday that we need to make the ball stick in the final third.  And if it ain't working Jim why wait until the 80th minute to change it and not replace the guys who were predominately at fault and sub Ilkay the only guy who was taking the ball to Aberdeen?

Think Mullen and Cooke are suffering from something a lot managers do. Goody signed Obika so I'm playing him. Not that I think Mullen or Cooke could do any better but wouldn't be any worse.

Never going to happen. Sometimes managers have blind spots for their favourites and Obika is a favourite. Never dropped or subbed no matter how mediocre or bad he is playing.
Jim complained after the game yesterday that we need to make the ball stick in the final third.  And if it ain't working Jim why wait until the 80th minute to change it and not replace the guys who were predominately at fault and sub Ilkay the only guy who was taking the ball to Aberdeen?