Gavin Reilly

Aye and YOU are still till pretending to be various people ! :bounce2

Oh look a 21 year old inbound - likely to be done deal and announced soon !

On 1/2/2020 at 10:58 AM, Sweeper07 said:

Why is it fan's want to go backwards? Unless we are signing John McGinn once he has fully recovered, we need to be going forwards.

That means signing younger less know guys on their way up . . .  watch this space !  :ninja

On 12/31/2019 at 7:29 PM, insaintee said:

Where is Jai these days?  I do remember Billy Dodds being very angry that Jai never got any caps for the U21's; If we don't cap him he will play for some else Billy said. Who else is Jai playing for?

FWIW I think there was a decent player there once but a stinking attitude 

His brother plays at Dumbarton. Last I'd heard Jai was playing out in the Iranian league round about same time Anthony Stokes was out there.

3 hours ago, santaponsasaint said:

Gavin Reilly on Instagram saying his goodbyes to Cheltenham. Going back to Bristol Rovers I take it.

I would think it unlikely that he is coming back to us. He had a great half season but, if my memory serves me right, struggled against the better teams. 

On Monday, January 06, 2020 at 12:59 PM, santaponsasaint said:
On Sunday, January 05, 2020 at 6:54 PM, St.Ricky said:
I would think it unlikely that he is coming back to us. He had a great half season but, if my memory serves me rigt he struggled against the better teams. 

No I dont really want him back. Him and his dad think there big time. Decent championship player nothing more IMO.

The complete opposite to what I found.

I had the pleasure of meeting both on a few occasions in the bar after games and along with everyone else in the company found them both to be polite, humble and decent guys.

I for one think wee Gav would still be a welcome addition to our misfiring strike force. It wouldn't surprise me if he showed up at Hibz with Jack!

• 2 years later...
47 minutes ago, antrin said:

Also… a bit of WHY HE NEVER HUNG AROUND TO KEEP BEING A GOALSCORER…

He scored 22 goals in 44 games for Saints, as he helped fire them to the Scottish Championship title. Reilly left St Mirren at the end of the season when new manager Alan Stubbs opted to withdraw the offer of a new contract.[15]

BASTURT.

Since leaving St Mirren he's scored 16 goals 130 games.

Aye, we missed out there. :lol:

On 1/2/2020 at 10:58 AM, Sweeper07 said:

Why is it fan's want to go backwards? Unless we are signing John McGinn once he has fully recovered, we need to be going forwards.

That means signing younger less know guys on their way up . . .  watch this space !  :ninja

Correct. The one thing I'm surprised about so far in transfer strategy is no loan signings. A good way to add a bit of quality. 

3 hours ago, exiledfan said:

Correct. The one thing I'm surprised about so far in transfer strategy is no loan signings. A good way to add a bit of quality. 

Gavin’s goals for us in the Championship were vital to our success and he should be remembered for that. Did the new manager not withdraw the contract offer as it had sat for a while without Gavin committing?

5 hours ago, Rascal said:

Gavin’s goals for us in the Championship were vital to our success and he should be remembered for that. 

So were goals by Bobby Reid in 76/77.

A far superior player to GR.

Should I start a new thread for Bobby?

For me the best ever centre half I’ve witnessed playing for St Mirren. I never saw Gordon McQueen play for St Mirren but saw him many times for Scotland. I’d argue Bobby would have had as good a career had injury not killed his ambitions.

AF3EEDB4-082C-4BA0-A3E9-7F2515FFEA20.jpeg.a8cd1bdb3d280fee428a912271053cf0.jpeg

1 hour ago, SuperSaints1877 said:

So were goals by Bobby Reid in 76/77.

A far superior player to GR.

Should I start a new thread for Bobby?

For me the best ever centre half I’ve witnessed playing for St Mirren. I never saw Gordon McQueen play for St Mirren but saw him many times for Scotland. I’d argue Bobby would have had as good a career had injury not killed his ambitions.

AF3EEDB4-082C-4BA0-A3E9-7F2515FFEA20.jpeg.a8cd1bdb3d280fee428a912271053cf0.jpeg

No argument from me Super. He was a great player who lost out on a long and I’m sure successful career in football. A knee injury if I recall correctly 

On 8/13/2022 at 8:55 PM, antrin said:

Also… a bit of WHY HE NEVER HUNG AROUND TO KEEP BEING A GOALSCORER…

He scored 22 goals in 44 games for Saints, as he helped fire them to the Scottish Championship title. Reilly left St Mirren at the end of the season when new manager Alan Stubbs opted to withdraw the offer of a new contract.[15]

BASTURT.

Those figures from Gavin Reilly were heavily skewed with a lot of goals against Lothian Thistle Hutchison Vale (who were basically an amateur team) and Hearts B in the challenge cup (who were basically a boys team). He was never that good a player and Danny Mullen had got him out the first 11 by the end of that season. His gradual downward career trajectory to his current club in Scottish League 1 since leaving us is certainly no surprise. But fair play to him he got a few decent deals off the back of that one season with us.