Marketing The Club

Lots of content on this topic but most of it focused on seating arrangements when the OF come calling. My own opinion.. The club are steadily improving. Crowds continue to rise, Community involvement continues to grow. Leaving out the OF seating arrangements.. What would you do to improve our reach, crowds and revenue? 

Lots of content on this topic but most of it focused on seating arrangements when the OF come calling. My own opinion.. The club are steadily improving. Crowds continue to rise, Community involvement continues to grow. Leaving out the OF seating arrangements.. What would you do to improve our reach, crowds and revenue? 
In other words...

Leaving aside the single biggest factor that could improve our club, what lesser things could act as a distraction in the meantime... Possibly even building up the number of people we can let down when the OF visit?

Boot Celtic and Sevco out of Scotland and our Beautiful Game. 

If not, 40 SPFL Clubs would remain irrelevant and would be better off dead. 

I would like to see our Match Programme Cover improved. There must be decent designers in our Support who could help. 

54 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

We could do market research to find out why 98%of people in Paisley do not attend matches ,a lot of our support comes from outside the town

44 minutes ago, shull said:

Boot Celtic and Sevco out of Scotland and our Beautiful Game. 

If not, 40 SPFL Clubs would remain irrelevant and would be better off dead. 

I would like to see our Match Programme Cover improved. There must be decent designers in our Support who could help. 

Not this shite AGAIN. 💩

1 hour ago, waldorf34 said:

We could do market research to find out why 98%of people in Paisley do not attend matches ,a lot of our support comes from outside the town

We do not need market research to determine why most people in Paisley as well as every village, town and city in Scotland support Celtic and Sevco rather than the Teams closest to where folk were born and bred. 

FECKED 

5 hours ago, St.Ricky said:

I'm probably not alone in this, but I'd like to see us utilise the digital billboards on the main roads into Paisley to advertise our games, in particular the one up by Reid Kerr. 

I'm sick and tired of seeing ads for Sky Sports on those billboards that have images of Tavernier and Brown of the OF or a still from the EPL, and not one of a St Mirren player or a still from one of our games. 

I'd imagine the cost of this is somewhat prohibitive but if the council can afford to advertise cultural events on these billboards then I don't see why we can't take a look (if we haven't done so already). 

3 hours ago, BuddieinEK said:

Great idea.

Especially as it wasn't resolved in the last decade!

EK.. You have it. 

Many, many posts on the forum highlight the impact of the OF.

But.. Few suggest strategies to fill our ground sufficiently on a regular at basis to ensure that we don't have any capacity other than the away end to host away supports whoever they may be.

Ranting about the OF is easy but solves nothing imo. If it makes you feel good..then that's all it does. 

Some good work has clearly been done. If not.. I doubt we would be seeing the sizeable increases in attendance and turnover year on year that we have. So credit where credit is due. 

Ideas put forward including closer liason with schools, players and the club don't incur costs and are valid in my opinion. 

I like the idea of a Billboard on Routes into/out of Paisley which highlight upcoming games. Falkirk use this very effectively and at low cost. 

I'm not sure how active the club is on Social Media Platforms. I think this area could be better used. 

Ideas for incentives are always welcome, be that reduced price tickets for groups, kids, half season, season or selected games or run of games. 

Other ideas welcome. 

Moaning doesn't count as an idea but possibly indicates a paucity of thought but if it floats your boat.. Go for it. 

EK.. You have it. 
Many, many posts on the forum highlight the impact of the OF.
But.. Few suggest strategies to fill our ground sufficiently on a regular at basis to ensure that we don't have any capacity other than the away end to host away supports whoever they may be.
Ranting about the OF is easy but solves nothing imo. If it makes you feel good..then that's all it does. 
Some good work has clearly been done. If not.. I doubt we would be seeing the sizeable increases in attendance and turnover year on year that we have. So credit where credit is due. 
Ideas put forward including closer liason with schools, players and the club don't incur costs and are valid in my opinion. 
I like the idea of a Billboard on Routes into/out of Paisley which highlight upcoming games. Falkirk use this very effectively and at low cost. 
I'm not sure how active the club is on Social Media Platforms. I think this area could be better used. 
Ideas for incentives are always welcome, be that reduced price tickets for groups, kids, half season, season or selected games or run of games. 
Other ideas welcome. 
Moaning doesn't count as an idea but possibly indicates a paucity of thought but if it floats your boat.. Go for it. 

Sad that you think moaning is all I've done.

I've been proactive from day one.

I advocated us building on the feel good factor of promotion under Jack Ross..

A time when the United feeling between players, fans, management and board had never been felt since the days of Fergie.

One of Fergies Furies... Tony Fitzpatrick... My Roy of the Rovers ... Dared dream of our stadium filled with Saints fans.

I believed him. I knew it was possible. I wanted to be a part of it and help it happen.

Next thing... With no discussion... Our family stand was given away to the OF.

Am I wrong in being upset?

Did I aim too high?

Was I wrong to expect better? More?

At the time, I made suggestions as to how we could incentivise fans and increase support.

That you can't remember that but feel justified in having a go at me for wanting more for and from my club is sad.

1 hour ago, BuddieinEK said:

Sad that you think moaning is all I've done.

I've been proactive from day one.

I advocated us building on the feel good factor of promotion under Jack Ross..

A time when the United feeling between players, fans, management and board had never been felt since the days of Fergie.

One of Fergies Furies... Tony Fitzpatrick... My Roy of the Rovers ... Dared dream of our stadium filled with Saints fans.

I believed him. I knew it was possible. I wanted to be a part of it and help it happen.

Next thing... With no discussion... Our family stand was given away to the OF.

Am I wrong in being upset?

Did I aim too high?

Was I wrong to expect better? More?

At the time, I made suggestions as to how we could incentivise fans and increase support.

That you can't remember that but feel justified in having a go at me for wanting more for and from my club is sad.

I wasn't suggesting that you were or are a moanerEK. Not at all. Nor do I think people are wrong to object to the boards decision regarding the family stand. I too want more for and from the clubs owners. You have contributed ideas as have others and there is more that can be done without increasing costs. 

St Mirren TV could be so much better.

I understand the “outside of the UK” rule for those who can view the games as if it was available to all, then many would potentially just stay at home to watch it instead of going to the game. But as someone who lives 550 miles away, I’m hardly in a position where I can attend games regularly, both from a financial and current life perspective. Of course I have the VPN option (as do the rest of our UK wide Buddies), but that doesn’t solve the full issue. St Mirren TV needs to be accessible to the wider parts of the UK, perhaps allowing use for those who are 100/200/300+ miles away, depending which option makes the most sense.

The other problem with St Mirren TV is that it’s pish and unreliable. We’ve had many Buds on here saying they’ve got no stream of the game even though they’ve paid for it, and let’s be honest, the service is absolutely gash for an SPL club. There are clubs in the lower leagues which much less of an income (Alloa and Dumbarton I believe have decent stations) who outperform us on this level. It’s a total pile of shite tbh and improving that could certainly help improve the “reach” of the club.

Edited by Cornwall_Saint

25 minutes ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

I understand the “outside of the UK” rule for those who can view the games as if it was available to all, then many would potentially just stay at home to watch it instead of going to the game. But as someone who lives 550 miles away, I’m hardly in a position where I can attend games regularly, both from a financial and current life perspective. Of course I have the VPN option (as do the rest of our UK wide Buddies), but that doesn’t solve the full issue. St Mirren TV needs to be accessible to the wider parts of the UK, perhaps allowing use for those who are 100/200/300+ miles away, depending which option makes the most sense.

The other problem with St Mirren TV is that it’s pish and unreliable. We’ve had many Buds on here saying they’ve got no stream of the game even though they’ve paid for it, and let’s be honest, the service is absolutely gash for an SPL club. There are clubs in the lower leagues which much less of an income (Alloa and Dumbarton I believe have decent stations) who outperform us on this level. It’s a total pile of shite tbh and improving that could certainly help improve the “reach” of the club.

It's illegal to show live games in the UK and Ireland, by means of club TV.

You second point about its pishness and unreliability is perfectly valid though.

55 minutes ago, FTOF said:

You second point about its pishness and unreliability is perfectly valid though.

Yeah. There is an outright blanket ban on any UK broadcaster showing a live game at 3pm on a Saturday in the UK. This extends to club TV channels who are free to broadcast live outside the British Isles, hence the need for a VPN to view. 

Nothing SMFC can do about that. 

6 hours ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

Only one option. Cornwall independence....

11 hours ago, FTOF said:

10 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Yeah. There is an outright blanket ban on any UK broadcaster showing a live game at 3pm on a Saturday in the UK. This extends to club TV channels who are free to broadcast live outside the British Isles, hence the need for a VPN to view. 

Nothing SMFC can do about that. 

Fair point guys, I forgot about that one.

5 hours ago, aldo_j said:

Only one option. Cornwall independence....

I’d better get campaigning then.

”Why are you so keen for Cornish independence?”

”I want to watch St Mir-, I mean, we can put tariffs on pasties and that will raise huge income.”

I'd do the following;

Have a St Mirren stall in Paisley town centre selling match tickets and merch

Have a St Mirren stall in Braehead shopping centre selling match tickets and merch

Improve ticketing website to make it as simple as possible for people to buy tickets 

Continue the fine work being done to improve matchday experience for younger fans

Encourage local buskers to play St Mirren songs outside the stadium on matchdays 

German style beer tent outside the west stand on matchdays 

I'd have a board/screen outside the ground detailing the history of the club for visiting fans. Or perhaps a QR code where fans can scan it to find out more about the club

Encourage links with other clubs who historically play in black and white stripes, I think our history is a major selling point.  I'd offer discounted visitor tickets to season ticket holders of clubs such as Notts County, Newcastle United, Juve, Udinese, Ascoli, Siena, PAOK, Eintracht Frankfurt, Borussia Monchengladbach and Corinthians. Notts County & Juventus have had a few friendlies over the years - we should be getting in on that history, being (possibly) the first club in the world to play in the black and white stripes. This should be promoted on social media.

21 minutes ago, Doakes said:

I'd do the following;

Have a St Mirren stall in Paisley town centre selling match tickets and merch

Have a St Mirren stall in Braehead shopping centre selling match tickets and merch

Improve ticketing website to make it as simple as possible for people to buy tickets 

Continue the fine work being done to improve matchday experience for younger fans

Encourage local buskers to play St Mirren songs outside the stadium on matchdays 

German style beer tent outside the west stand on matchdays 

I'd have a board/screen outside the ground detailing the history of the club for visiting fans. Or perhaps a QR code where fans can scan it to find out more about the club

Encourage links with other clubs who historically play in black and white stripes, I think our history is a major selling point.  I'd offer discounted visitor tickets to season ticket holders of clubs such as Notts County, Newcastle United, Juve, Udinese, Ascoli, Siena, PAOK, Eintracht Frankfurt, Borussia Monchengladbach and Corinthians. Notts County & Juventus have had a few friendlies over the years - we should be getting in on that history, being (possibly) the first club in the world to play in the black and white stripes. This should be promoted on social media.

I was going to say surely that would be Notts County given they are significantly older than us but it appears they didn't start using the stripes until a full 6 years after us, so you could well be correct! Most clubs seem to have adapted B&W in the 1890s owing to the influence of Notts County.