Akin Famewo

NB18

Great news and potential for decent balance and depth at the back now. Four CB options, experience and youth (both with first team experience). Further cover at left back coupled with Flynn’s ability to cover right back, I’m happy with the options. Very encouraging. 

11 hours ago, DougJamie said:

Great signing , Norwich fan here really rates him.

3 players in and its only the 8th...…….

So for those that question what Gus does-there again is your answer 

We sign 3 players? Two of whom are from a place JIM knows well?

How does that prove Gus' hand was on the tiller in this respect?

I suspect Jim knew more about the lads than Gus but, we might never know.

This wasn't what the detractors were citing anyway. It was about continuity when we were in transition and that wasn't evident at the time.

11 hours ago, kevo_smfc said:

Delighted with this news. I always knew we intended bringing in another centre half after McCarthy. We definitely seem more prepared at the back with Broadfoot in mind, coming back from injury too.

Seems to be highly thought of and was the u23 captain at Norwich.

Been on the bench a couple of times this season so manager obviously rates him.

We didn't do too badly with Alfie Jones last season who had a similar background with Southampton.

Agree that overall Alfie was positive, but he did not start great and it took him a number of games to get up to speed...

So it is good we have Broxburn first !

22 hours ago, Lord Pityme said:

Oh... the boo bout will have you for bigging up Alfie..! Not because of the actual player, no... but some twisted mentality about who signed him.

Ask Hayden Coulson.

I don't think there will be many to be honest, as I think he was one of the better signings. Im sure most would agree on that.

I think Coulson fell victim to Stubbs not actually having a proper formation in place he could work to his preferred tole. If anything he probably weakened Coulsons ability at the time with his positioning. Saying that, I watched Coulson playing for Cambridge last Feb/March at Carlisle and he wasn't very good, but he seemed to be playing a free role along the back and in midfield. Seems to be getting his game now. I'd imagine he is playing his preferred role as he has had decent game time.

I don't think there will be many to be honest, as I think he was one of the better signings. Im sure most would agree on that.
I think Coulson fell victim to Stubbs not actually having a proper formation in place he could work to his preferred tole. If anything he probably weakened Coulsons ability at the time with his positioning. Saying that, I watched Coulson playing for Cambridge last Feb/March at Carlisle and he wasn't very good, but he seemed to be playing a free role along the back and in midfield. Seems to be getting his game now. I'd imagine he is playing his preferred role as he has had decent game time.
Stubbs put it all on Coulson's back on his wing/back, hoping the youngster could bail him out. Too much for any experienced pro, let alone a youngster.

12 hours ago, stlucifer said:

This wasn't what the detractors were citing anyway. It was about continuity when we were in transition and that wasn't evident at the time.

Stop bringing facts to the discussion :whistle

14 hours ago, stlucifer said:

And the fact that JG is Irish proves that Gus wasn’t involved? 

The fact that JG is Irish means that he knows all the players in the Irish league well?

You know that for a fact? 

As for ‘continuity’, what evidence would you have like to have seen?

You wanted the club to sign players without a manager in place?

That would have been utterly crazy. 

Edited by Hiram Abiff

We’ve had young players from the English leagues let us down before.

We’ve had experienced players from the English leagues let us down before.

We’ve had young players from Scottish leagues let us down before.

We’ve had experienced players from the Scottish leagues let us down before.

We’ve had young players from elsewhere let us down before.

We’ve had experienced players from elsewhere let us down before.

What's the conclusion? Like every other professional football club in the world, we have had players that have turned out not to be as good as we hoped. You'd honestly think it caused pain to some people, just to go with a wee bit of positivity regarding SMFC. 🤣

14 hours ago, Sweeper07 said:

Agree that overall Alfie was positive, but he did not start great and it took him a number of games to get up to speed...

So it is good we have Broxburn first !

I’m sure Popescu and Hladky’s debut were against Alloa and that didn’t go to plan in the opening 45!

Sometimes the easier matches are all but that...

18 hours ago, stlucifer said:

3 hours ago, Hiram Abiff said:

And the fact that JG is Irish proves that Gus wasn’t involved? 

The fact that JG is Irish means that he knows all the players in the Irish league well?

You know that for a fact? 

As for ‘continuity’, what evidence would you have like to have seen?

You wanted the club to sign players without a manager in place?

That would have been utterly crazy. 

Please re-read my post.

Where did I say Anything proves anything. My post was in reply to Dougjamie who WAS using these signing as proof that Gus was instrumental in the signings so your question should have been inversed and directed at him.

As for the "continuity".

Don't ask me if I wanted signings without a manager at the helm. Ask GL WHY he intimated that this was the very reason for hiring Gus in the first place.

And, as for your accusation of me being a "booboy". Where was the criticism in my post? I was reflecting on the very legitimate reasons why people were questioning his appointment at that time in response to Dougjamie's post saying these signing somehow proved Gus was doing what GL claimed AT THE TIME what Gus' remit was. Let me spell that out for you.

C.O.N.T.I.N.U.I.T.Y.

Edited by stlucifer

16 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

Please re-read my post.

Where did I say Anything proves anything. My post was in reply to Dougjamie who WAS using these signing as proof that Gus was instrumental in the signings so your question should have been inversed and directed at him.

As for the "continuity".

Don't ask me if I wanted signings without a manager at the helm. Ask GL WHY he intimated that this was the very reason for hiring Gus in the first place.

And, as for your accusation of me being a "booboy". Where was the criticism in my post? I was reflecting on the very legitimate reasons why people were questioning his appointment at that time in response to Dougjamie's post saying these signing somehow proved Gus was doing what GL claimed AT THE TIME what Gus' remit was. Let me spell that out for you.

C.O.N.T.I.N.U.I.T.Y.

0/10

As usual. 

20 hours ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

I’m sure Popescu and Hladky’s debut were against Alloa and that didn’t go to plan in the opening 45!

Sometimes the easier matches are all but that...

You are correct but we were able to recover against Alloa - had it been an ugly sister, it could have been a serious doing. We were so disorganised that day, but recovered after the break...

4 minutes ago, Sweeper07 said:

You are correct but we were able to recover against Alloa - had it been an ugly sister, it could have been a serious doing. We were so disorganised that day, but recovered after the break...

Are you sure?

I overheard someone in Asda, Linwood last week murmuring something about Goodie being told at HT that, if he threw the game, then OK would be offski and he'd be enthroned as new manager...

Apparently.

Edited by antrin
spelling/typo