Glenn Middleton

Durmus is good especially when he has a full back supporting him. Waters needs to learn to pass to the winger instead of inside or back the way. And he needs to overlap Durmus more. There were small signs of improvement recently but Waters has to raise his game to provide more threat down the left.

57 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:
1 hour ago, belfast billy said:
I would keep durmus and if Middleton comes play him on the left and durmus on right

Hmm Durmus is a left winger, and has been largely unimpressive in his preferred position. Cant see that changing on the opposite flank where we have good options already.

Durmus started pretty slow but like a few others, has came onto a game last four or five. Earned his right to be starting currently. If Middleton came in, would be a good headache to have. 

1 hour ago, Sonny said:

Durmus is good especially when he has a full back supporting him. Waters needs to learn to pass to the winger instead of inside or back the way. And he needs to overlap Durmus more. There were small signs of improvement recently but Waters has to raise his game to provide more threat down the left.

Waters is a defender. His priority is to defend. Maybe Jim Goodwin has told him not to overlap or to concentrate on defence?

Do you expect central defenders to overlap central midfielders?

Leicester City won the Premiership with their full backs rarely crossing the half way line.

Edited by Hiram Abiff

2 minutes ago, Hiram Abiff said:

Waters is a defender. His priority is to defend. Maybe Jim Goodwin has told him not to overlap or to concentrate on defence?

Do you expect central defenders to overlap central midfielders?

Leicester City won the Premiership with their full backs rarely crossing the half way line.

Paul McGinn supports whoever is playing on the right wing by working with him and sometimes overlapping him. Durmus on several occasions was shouting at Waters to play the ball to him instead of inside or back. 

And why on earth would I expect central defenders to overlap central midfielders? Full backs supporting wingers is pretty basic stuff.

Two Rangers fans in work said he could easily play on the right if required. Said he might actually be a really good signing for us as him game is suited to playing on the counter attack due to his pace....with his best games for them being in Europe

Would imagine that would be the final signing of the window unless others leave.

2 hours ago, Lord Pityme said:
2 hours ago, mattman said:
Wouldn’t imagine so, I think we could be doing with another option on the flanks, especially with McAllister being massively underwhelming 

Ooops forgot we still had a McAllister. Lol

I find that hard to believe given the amount of time you spend on here lambasting his signing !!!!

It looks like Durmus is next on your boo boy "hit" list

59 minutes ago, Sonny said:

And why on earth would I expect central defenders to overlap central midfielders?

For the same reason that you expect wide defenders to overlap wide midfielders?

Full backs supporting wingers is pretty basic stuff.

As I mentioned in my post, full backs NOT supporting wingers was a pretty basic element in Leicester City winning the Premiership.... and it certainly didn't hinder Riyad Mahrez! :lol:

Maybe Paul McGinn is more suited to attacking and been told to do what he does. He's generally had Magennis on the right hand side as well, a more defensive player. Maybe Waters is more suited to defending and been told not to get forward?

Edited by Hiram Abiff

I find that hard to believe given the amount of time you spend on here lambasting his signing !!!!
It looks like Durmus is next on your boo boy "hit" list

What utter bollocks!
Unlike some, I never have, and never will 'Boo' my team or anyone in the team.
If that's your best in response to criticising a player who the manager regularly dtops/hooks then I pity you.

29 minutes ago, Hiram Abiff said:

For the same reason that you expect wide defenders to overlap wide midfielders?

As I mentioned in my post, full backs NOT supporting wingers was a pretty basic element in Leicester City winning the Premiership.... and it certainly didn't hinder Riyad Mahrez! :lol:

Maybe Paul McGinn is more suited to attacking and been told to do what he does. He's generally had Magennis on the right hand side as well, a more defensive player. Maybe Waters is more suited to defending and been told not to get forward?

A rather unique team to play that tactic as they had to defend in depth and rely on Mahrez and Vardy. I do not see Liverpool, Spurs, Man Utd, Man City or any other team in the Premier telling their full backs not to cross the half way line nor pass to the winger in front of them. And I do not know of any team where centre backs have free reign to pass the midfield. But full backs supporting wingers is a de facto standard.

At Hamilton for example Durmus had acres of space on the wing. Several times Hldaky threw the ball to Waters and Durmus went off in a charge expecting the ball only for Waters to pass it inside or back the way. Eventually Durmus gave him a rollicking for not supporting him. That was the first time I saw Durmus do that. The rollickings are having an effect as Waters is now offering more support but nowhere near the support that McGinn or Flynn offers on the right.

Why would that be.
Perhaps you missed the question mark at the end???
Or the fact we are rumoured to be signing on loan a CURRENT left winger in the Spfl, when we already have on a two year deal a signing from Europe.
Tell me, if Middleton joins us, which one of them has been signed to play for the U23's?
Or do you think we have the cash to continually sign players for positions we are already covered in and not let some go?
What on earth that's got to do with Stubbs we all await you're enlightenment?