Heading Ban

pod

1 hour ago, Big Yards said:

That's what is going to happen, the removal of anything physical in the game. The game has already been reduced to hardly being able to tackle. VAR watching you're every move now as well. Now no heading. It's all to allow women to come into the mens game. We've got lines women already, talk of women managers in the SPFL etc

It's going to happen, there will be at least 1 women playing in the mens game within the next 10 years.

Plenty fecking jessies in the SPFL presently. 

3 minutes ago, shull said:

Plenty fecking jessies in the SPFL presently. 

Haven't seen many Shull. Games are highly competitive. Livvy are a prime example as have Hamilton Accies where there are physical battles to be won, I'd put our Govan Friends in that category as well

23 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

Haven't seen many Shull. Games are highly competitive. Livvy are a prime example as have Hamilton Accies where there are physical battles to be won, I'd put our Govan Friends in that category as well

Plenty players in those Clubs fall down in agony if a little breeze blows their hair out of place. 

Fecking jessies who have ruined the Game. 

11 minutes ago, shull said:

Plenty players in those Clubs fall down in agony if a little breeze blows their hair out of place. 

Fecking jessies who have ruined the Game. 

You need to get to more (any) games Shull. Tough going out there. Some protection under modern rule changes, I agree. 

1 hour ago, St.Ricky said:

I can't say that you are wrong but what, specifically, makes you say that? Is it merely restricting physicality? 

It's the direction of everything in the world right now. The people in high places have decided men and women have to be equal in everything to create a gender less society. Football is not immune to that and we've been seeing the groundwork for quite some time for mixing men and women within sports. The only way they can do that is by turning the sport into what will basically be a non contact game

Edited by Big Yards

Guest TPAFKATS
The media keep pushing gender equality. Football is not going to escape it. In fact football is part of it!
Women don't want to compete against men in any sport where strength and physical build is a factor.
The bigger issue is governing bodies allowing trans women to compete against women where athletes who were born male have a distinct advantage.

2 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:

Women don't want to compete against men in any sport where strength and physical build is a factor.
The bigger issue is governing bodies allowing trans women to compete against women where athletes who were born male have a distinct advantage.

Fair point. 

Guest TPAFKATS

It's the direction of everything in the world right now. The people in high places have decided men and women have to be equal in everything to create a gender less society. Football is not immune to that and we've been seeing the groundwork for quite some time for mixing men and women within sports. The only way they can do that is by turning the sport into what will basically be a non contact game

Other than darts and snooker where physical differences between men and women are not a factor in ability to compete, what other sports are mixing men and women?

Guest TPAFKATS

Medical studies show that footballers are 3 and 5 times more likely to have Alzheimers and dementia in later life.

Glad the attention seeking know alls on here know better though.

3 hours ago, Big Yards said:

The issue is women wouldn't be able to compete with men for headers so it's going to be scrapped in order to usher women into the mens game in time.

2 hours ago, Big Yards said:

The media keep pushing gender equality. Football is not going to escape it. In fact football is part of it!

2 hours ago, Big Yards said:

Because the ban is just one more step towards the plan to introduce women into the mens game 

Please keep them coming, I’m in stitches here 😂

1 hour ago, St.Ricky said:

I'd put the Govan zombie scum in that category as well

Fixed your error.

The deviation of the discussion into gender is simply absurd and obviously one person's agenda.

Even if that outcome eventually happens, this particular step is not not the primary motivation.

I have been privileged to support several former professional footballers who had dementia.

Was the dementia a result of playing football?

There is no was of proving so, but I always instinctively felt yes.

Heading an old wet leather cudger wouldn't just leave a lace print in your forehead, it would have your brain rattle back and forward against your skull!

Can that be good for you?

Amanda Koppel, wife of former Arab player Frank who had dementia pioneered this cause.

If you ever hear this woman speak in person, you will be in bits unless you have a heart of stone.

She is passionate about leaving a legacy for Frank by not only remembering him but by preventing further unnecessary suffering... by players or their grieving families!

Does every header of the ball lead or contribute to dementia?

I don't believe so.

Do some?

I'm convinced, yes!

As adults, we can be aware of the balance between choice and risk... and choose accordingly.

Kids don't legally have that option...

So a coach of 12 year olds leading a heading drill is telling them what to do and potentially risking the health of some!

Moreso given their brains are still developing at that age.

In the future, this could have legal implications.

Do I support this measure? Yes.

Do I support a total ban on heading? Absolutely not

Choice has to be there, and it has to be informed.

Some might think if the kids play the game, they accept the risk.

That is not informed, and would only lead to parents not allowing kids to take part in football.

It is an emotive subject, but not without cause.

If just a handful fewer adults avoid Dementia in the future as a result, it will have been wholly worth it.

Health and family must always take priority over sport and entertainment.

As an aside, the modern thinking is that although modern footballs are much lighter, they travel much faster so the impact is as bad.

I'm not convinced personally, but it does make sense and I am willing to acquiesce to their train of thought unless anyone can prove otherwise.

50 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:

Medical studies show that footballers are 3 and 5 times more likely to have Alzheimers and dementia in later life.

As usual "Google" here just goes for the headline, although his ability to read and understand all the stuff he searches for is undoubtedly lacking, preferring to quote a small part, like his brain really.........................................

The question of whether heading footballs can damage the brain has been debated for years and much of the UK media suggests it was the key reason why such a link exists.

But it's important to note:

• the researchers did not look at possible reasons behind the results, such as heading footballs
  • while the study found the risk of dying from neurodegenerative disease was almost 3.5 times higher for footballers, fewer than 2% of the footballers in the study died from these health conditions
  • the researchers found footballers were less likely to die from some other conditions, such as heart disease, and were less likely to die before age 70
  • the study looked at footballers born before 1977, so it's not known if the same results would apply to young footballers playing now

Also, as if we didn't know......................

Media stories tend to choose the most alarming figures to report.

^^^^ This is what I indicated earlier, although I didn't Google it. 

Oh, this is interesting....................

There was no significant difference in risk of death from neurodegenerative disease between goalkeepers and outfield players.

Here's a link to the NHS website, not the Sun. 

https://www.nhs.uk/news/neurology/dementia-fears-for-former-footballers/

Edited by faraway saint

As usual "Google" here just goes for the headline, although his ability to read and understand all the stuff he searches for is undoubtedly lacking, preferring to quote a small part, like his brain really.........................................

The question of whether heading footballs can damage the brain has been debated for years and much of the UK media suggests it was the key reason why such a link exists.

But it's important to note:

• the researchers did not look at possible reasons behind the results, such as heading footballs
  • while the study found the risk of dying from neurodegenerative disease was almost 3.5 times higher for footballers, fewer than 2% of the footballers in the study died from these health conditions
  • the researchers found footballers were less likely to die from some other conditions, such as heart disease, and were less likely to die before age 70
  • the study looked at footballers born before 1977, so it's not known if the same results would apply to young footballers playing now
Also, as if we didn't know......................
Media stories tend to choose the most alarming figures to report.
^^^^ This is what I indicated earlier, although I didn't Google it. 
Here's a link to the NHS website, not the Sun. 
If just 2% of people playing football develop dementia as a direct result of heading the ball, is that acceptable collateral damage for our entertainment?

What if the onset was exacerbated by training as a kid when they didn't know the risks?

Should we legalise smoking for 12 year olds as not all will get cancer as a result of smoking?

The press reports may concentrate on the sensational aspects, they always do... but that doesn't make the concerns unfounded.

As for modern footballs, as I said, one train of thought us that although balls are lighter, they travel faster causing a similar impact.

Nobody is saying ban heading in football... Just stop it for under 12s.

Is that really a bad thing if some health issues are addressed as a result?

8 minutes ago, BuddieinEK said:

If just 2% of people playing football develop dementia as a direct result of heading the ball, is that acceptable collateral damage for our entertainment?

What if the onset was exacerbated by training as a kid when they didn't know the risks?

Should we legalise smoking for 12 year olds as not all will get cancer as a result of smoking?

The press reports may concentrate on the sensational aspects, they always do... but that doesn't make the concerns unfounded.

As for modern footballs, as I said, one train of thought us that although balls are lighter, they travel faster causing a similar impact.

First of all is says LESS than 2%, don't exaggerate to try to prove a point. 

What if? Sorry, I don't deal in what if's. 

3rd line, don't be stupid.

6th line...............I discussed this with a coach of under 12's, he's bemused, he doesn't do ANY heading practice, where it's a train of thought that any potential damage could take place.

I suspect EVERY sport has some long term health issues, let's stop all sports. 

Here, chew on this..............Regular physical activity – including football – is a good way to reduce the risk of dementia and conditions such as heart disease.

Edited by faraway saint

First of all is says LESS than 2%, don't exaggerate to try to prove a point. 
What if? Sorry, I don't deal in what if's. 
3rd line, don't be stupid.
6th line...............I discussed this with a coach of under 12's, he's bemused, he doesn't do ANY heading practice, where it's a train of thought that any potential damage could take place.
I suspect EVERY sport has some long term health issues, let's stop all sports. 
Here, chew on this..............Regular physical activity – including football – is a good way to reduce the risk of dementia and conditions such as heart disease.
So if under 12's don't head the ball then what's your issue? [emoji850]

Ok, here's my take on this, and I didn't Google it............

The broad term "footballers" is misleading as there is little or no heading practice for all positions.

As I said above, there is very little, or less, practice on heading a football in youth football.

I haven't said this idea, banning under 12's, is bad, my view is that it will have little or no effect

As for all the sentimental stuff........................cheap shot. 

1 minute ago, BuddieinEK said:

Criticising "fewer than 2%" against "just 2%" smacks of desperation to me, yet I'm the one using sensationalism! emoji850.png

If your taking solace in the forum fool your done. :byebye

He's the most attention seeking clown we have on the forum, but you know that, right? 

95%  of his posts are utter urine, that's from a recent study. :lol:

Edited by faraway saint

Guest TPAFKATS
Ok, here's my take on this, and I didn't Google it............
The broad term "footballers" is misleading as there is little or no heading practice for all positions.
As I said above, there is very little, or less, practice on heading a football in youth football.
I haven't said this idea, banning under 12's, is bad, my view is that it will have little or no effect
As for all the sentimental stuff........................cheap shot. 

Of course you didn't Google anything. You don't read anything as you already know better than the experts.
"We don't need experts"
You are a typical Gammon.

Guest TPAFKATS

Pretty much you, coming in here with this shite. :byebye

Ffs faraway. Literally read my post. It talks about medical studies
I'm not claiming to be an expert, I'm talking about medical studies into the issue.
Pretty much everyone on here knows better than you though because they research things.

Guest TPAFKATS

Most sensible people would acknowledge that 3 times more likely to develop dementia was the headline.
Most would also realise that although only 2% died from the condition, it would still be a contributory factor even though other conditions may have actually killed them e.g. Cardiac issues, pneumonia etc.

Unfortunately you are pissing in the wind with faraway

Guest TPAFKATS

He's trying to debate with the forum fool [emoji116]

If your taking solace in the forum fool your done. :byebye
He's the most attention seeking clown we have on the forum, but you know that, right? 
95%  of his posts are utter urine, that's from a recent study. [emoji38]

27 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:

Ffs faraway. Literally read my post. It talks about medical studies
I'm not claiming to be an expert, I'm talking about medical studies into the issue.
Pretty much everyone on here knows better than you though because they research things.

If you'd left out the last sentence you'd have been fine.

That goes for your previous post.....................research things. :lol: