Saint Mirren v Motherwell Cup

St.Ricky

If we had a balanced squad Foley, Hodson and Andreu would be riding pine. We don't, so I think:

Hladky

Hodson McCarthy Famewo Waters

McGrath Foley MacPherson Durmus

Obika Jakubiak

Or am I being optimistic with 2 strikers?

ETA - Hope McGrath gets another shot, he looked nervous midweek but wasn't as bad as a number of others. Sent a terrific pass through for Andreu to pass back to the keeper.

Edited by W6Saint

1 hour ago, St.Ricky said:

Perhaps time for a new hero to emerge at Saints. One of the two new front players but I share your view on Hearts and Boyce. 

I guess the difference is Boyce is proven at this level and has done the job for a lower end team before. He’s a great signing, unfortunately the sort who’s out of our price range nowadays since his excellent spell at Ross County. That was my biggest concern going into Jan with Hibs/Hearts down the bottom (granted Hibs were fine once JR came in), they would have the financial might over ourselves.

1 hour ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

Mentally bbc forecast now got wind at almost 60mph by 4.00pm. IF (big if) that materialises (just breezy for now) there is no way you can play football in it. Personally think the forecasts will be over pessimist but who knows. Would make any game a lottery.

Sounds like a normal match at Gayfield, if Arbroath can handle it then we should too 😂

This is the cup game thread, but with the weather and in response to these comments . . .

17 hours ago, munoz said:

Who are the 3 teams in this 3 way battle to avoid the drop ? 

15 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Now if you are too stupid to work that out, oh never mind.

2 hours ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

So if we go another 2 points ahead of Hearts we are safe from automatically being relegated by your reckoning ?

I personally think that  there are 5 and not only  3 teams in the battle. Hearts, Hamilton, Us, Ross County, and the Fakes.

The later has certainly been on the best run of late and has points on the board, but a couple of significant injuries and they could fall back into the mix for a play-off for sure, though that is pretty unlikely. They could however end up below us, and that would be sweet.  :spud7

RC are not on a great run and really need to pick up or they could finish 11th or 12th. They are definitely in the mix !  🤞

Hamilton are dire, and this time around we have a 3 point lead over them. We were 6 points behind them last time (Feb 2019). (And we were 3 behind Dee). Lose their goalie and one or two others and they will finish last this time... 👍

Hearts are the big unknown. They got a bounce for a couple of games and certainly have goal-scorers, new and old returning from injury. It might seem unthinkable for them and I cannot believe they won't finish above Hamilton, but it is all about what we do as well as what they manage... We have a 4 point lead and 4 goals better goal difference...

If we keep picking up draw after draw or add in a few significant defeats against these teams, we are in trouble, especially if they manage some other 3 pointers. However, this is precisely why we need to go for the 3 points with conviction and with decent positive tactics. If we pick up say 3 wins in the next 8 league games, matching us is not good enough for the teams below and RC have not been picking up many wins of late at all...

These games aside, a cushion before the split would be fab. And going into the split knowing a few wins is possible would be good for us all...

That aside - CUP game today - tough one - we have not fared well against them this season - we are players out and I suspect not favoured by the bookies... However, often teams not doing great in the league can have good Scottish Cup runs - going through should be a bonus... we live in hope !

11 minutes ago, Sweeper07 said:

This is the cup game thread, but with the weather and in response to these comments . . .

I personally think that  there are 5 and not only  3 teams in the battle. Hearts, Hamilton, Us, Ross County, and the Fakes.

The later has certainly been on the best run of late and has points on the board, but a couple of significant injuries and they could fall back into the mix for a play-off for sure, though that is pretty unlikely. They could however end up below us, and that would be sweet.  :spud7

RC are not on a great run and really need to pick up or they could finish 11th or 12th. They are definitely in the mix !  🤞

Hamilton are dire, and this time around we have a 3 point lead over them. We were 6 points behind them last time (Feb 2019). (And we were 3 behind Dee). Lose their goalie and one or two others and they will finish last this time... 👍

Hearts are the big unknown. They got a bounce for a couple of games and certainly have goal-scorers, new and old returning from injury. It might seem unthinkable for them and I cannot believe they won't finish above Hamilton, but it is all about what we do as well as what they manage... We have a 4 point lead and 4 goals better goal difference...

If we keep picking up draw after draw or add in a few significant defeats against these teams, we are in trouble, especially if they manage some other 3 pointers. However, this is precisely why we need to go for the 3 points with conviction and with decent positive tactics. If we pick up say 3 wins in the next 8 league games, matching us is not good enough for the teams below and RC have not been picking up many wins of late at all...

These games aside, a cushion before the split would be fab. And going into the split knowing a few wins is possible would be good for us all...

That aside - CUP game today - tough one - we have not fared well against them this season - we are players out and I suspect not favoured by the bookies... However, often teams not doing great in the league can have good Scottish Cup runs - going through should be a bonus... we live in hope !

Cup match... COYS 

PS RC are in the mix, I agree. Have booked a hotel up there for the match on 4 April. 

4 minutes ago, whydowebother said:

I agree with you both

Now, what’s yer prediction for today’s cup game involving St Mirren ?

Thanks Lad. Enjoy the game. Gave my prediction some posts ago. But.. Again.. Hope for a win but think it might be 1-1 and go to a replay a week on Tuesday. Crowd.. Will revise my 6,000 to 6,200.

1 minute ago, Hendo said:

I like the look of that team, though hoped Chabbi would have got a place in the squad.

1 minute ago, scam75 said:

Fair enough line up. Where is the Chabbi though? Will he ever take to the pitch? Cant believe he's not at least on the bench unless he's crocked.

It was said that he has not been playing much and was not up to full fitness when we signed him . . . suspect he will get a few reserve games and training to help though . . .

1 hour ago, W6Saint said:

Hladky

Hodson McCarthy Famewo Waters

McGrath Foley MacPherson Durmus

Obika Jakubiak

11 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Tonight's lottery numbers are...

5 in the middle vs Hamilton, 4 in the middle vs Motherwell:ph34r: Hopefully we go the full 180 and stop hoofing the ball today too.

Just how lacking in match sharpness is Chabbi to not get on the bench?

Edited by W6Saint

2 minutes ago, W6Saint said:

Tonight's lottery numbers are...

5 in the middle vs Hamilton, 4 in the middle vs Motherwell:ph34r: Hopefully we go the full 180 and stop hoofing the ball today too.

Just how lacking in match sharpness is Chabbi to not get on the bench?

Clearly enough not to be on it !