Saint Mirren v Motherwell Cup

St.Ricky

3 hours ago, herman_munster said:

anyone remember the cup game at fir park in 1977, we were flying high

with fergie as boss, I can remember counting 50 buses that travelled 

from paisley that day and overcrowding in the saints end with some

fans having to be moved.

Willie pettigrew broke our hearts that day and I remember 

a saints fan greetin on the bus back home.

Officially 144 Buses that day ye greeting faced jessie.

Estimated 14000 Saints fans in attendance

With an Irish manager and 2 Irish players - we are now applying 'Reilly's Law'.
Dispose of 2 defenders when we didn't really need to and then lose 2 defenders through injury.
And hey presto we have a crisis.
Surprise surprise!

Pretty hard to predict that in successive games our right back would have to leave the field injured, to be fair.

Not the kind of thing that happens often.

Looked like the Motherwell left back blocked a cross with his arm/hand, my first reaction, most of players and the crowd closer than me (family stand) all screamed penalty. Maybe it was one of those ones to close to ball to get his arm/hand out of the way but certainly from my split second viewpoint he put his arm out to make himself bigger.

Was not there so appreciate the insight.

But in the ref, did he miss/deny us clear penalties ?

A good game of football today prior to the wind and rain kicking in. 

Draw was a fair result and today proved there is not much of a different between 3rd and bottom of the league.

Replay will give us an other £20/£30K that will pay for a backup C/H or F/B to sit on the bench.

1 hour ago, W6Saint said:

I'm not sure if anybody has ever told you, but this isn't the 90's anymore where punters not at the game rely on texts from a mate or teletext for updates on everything. Next you'll be counting planes!

I'm quite happy to get the updates on these pages, from TC or anyone else.

Game wasted by the conditions but decent enough in the circumstances. Both teams played better into the wind. As usual we need half a dozen chances to convert yet opposition need 1 or 2. At least we were creating today and should of had a pen for hand ball. On the injury front if it wasn't for bad luck we would have no luck ! Hodson looks to have done his hammy so I suspect we will need to delve into the free transfer market. At least we are still in the cup.

2 hours ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but I lay no blame about these transfers to anyone.

Wank Wank Wank Broadfoot basically left us in the shit by stating in the latter stages of deadline day he wanted out. At that point it was pretty much confirmed he’d stay here and rot in the reserves, or just bump him off the wage bill. Goodwin wasn’t left with much choice, there’s no point keeping a player who isn’t going to give his all for you. The blame here lies squarely with Wank Wank Wank Broadfoot, who could have stated his intentions earlier on in the month and allowed us to find the cover needed. And for all you know, if he stayed, it might have been him limping off injured this week and we’d have been saying “oh, we should have punted him now”.

As for McGinn, it’s cash for a player who would have been gone for free. At the time, Hodson was a good replacement, and we’ve known Flynn has covered the position will. Like I say above, had Paul got injured this week for the rest of the season we’d be sat here wishing we took the money. You can’t see who’s going to get injured in the future and when, and the deals at the time made sense. The situation now is worrying, but I have no qualms about how Jim and the board acted regarding these transfers - Wank Wank Wank Broadfoot was a c**t and we did cover the McGinn situation well. Injuries leave us short but had Flynn got injured without these transfers taking place, and McGinn instead of Hodson, we’d be lamenting the same situation.

Well said

3 hours ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

You can’t see who’s going to get injured in the future and when, and the deals at the time made sense. 

We signed Wank Broadfoot on a 2 year deal when he was almost 35 - wasn't a huge shock he got an injury and took ages to recover - 8 games played in half a season.

We gave Gary MacKenzie a contract extension after he missed most of last season through injury. Played in 5 league games last season and has so far managed 10 this season.

Last season Lee Hodson missed half the season through injury - who do we sign to replace Paul McGinn who was fit enough to play 35 league games last season? Out injured in his first start for us this season!

1 hour ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

Game wasted by the conditions but decent enough in the circumstances. Both teams played better into the wind. As usual we need half a dozen chances to convert yet opposition need 1 or 2. At least we were creating today and should of had a pen for hand ball. On the injury front if it wasn't for bad luck we would have no luck ! Hodson looks to have done his hammy so I suspect we will need to delve into the free transfer market. At least we are still in the cup.

We are indeed Ayrshire. It did look like a penalty. Both teams gave their all and played an open game. We don't have our problems to seek on the injury front! 

5 hours ago, TopCat said:

FT 1-1

Yeah even game and draw a fair result. Quite good fun second half, wind and rain and tackles flying in. Good stuff. Nice goal from the Jak for our equaliser too, he looks a find.

4 draws in a row for us now. If nothing else we are certainly hard to beat. No reason we can’t get through the tie at Fir Park right enough, just might need extra time and penalties to do it. We also play there in the league next Saturday so we are going to have two games in a row in Motherwell within a few days of each other, might aswell move in.

Good fun, I was bored stiff all 2nd half as I have been at every st mirren match I've attended this season. 

13 hours ago, northstbuddie said:

With an Irish manager and 2 Irish players - we are now applying 'Reilly's Law'.

Dispose of 2 defenders when we didn't really need to and then lose 2 defenders through injury.

And hey presto we have a crisis.

Surprise surprise!

FFS. MURPHY'S LAW!

I thought the players did well enough in the first half but conditions deteriorated and that affected the product on the park. Strange game football. They went ahead when we were in control and we scored when they were in the ascendency.

Edited by stlucifer

16 hours ago, saint in exile said:

I'm quite happy to get the updates on these pages, from TC or anyone else.

You're more than entitled to that. IMO odd from anyone to pay for a season ticket, spend 90 mins posting on here every 2nd week, before coming on here after the game and spreading their agenda-ridden nonsense.

Post building some would say

11 minutes ago, W6Saint said:

You're more than entitled to that. IMO odd from anyone to pay for a season ticket, spend 90 mins posting on here every 2nd week, before coming on here after the game and spreading their agenda-ridden nonsense.

Post building some would say

For post building tips.. Follow F Man