Saint Mirren v Motherwell Cup

St.Ricky

5 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

I don't know what the rules are but the referee will have a duty of care towards the player and with the police and club towards the fans. 

I'm not sure there would be a health and safety issue do to winds of 45 mph, but I'm wondering whether it would make a farce of the game. If it goes ahead I'd be pleased, as it's the same circumstances for both teams, unless the wind dies down in one half! It could make for a very interesting cup tie and might suit us more.

32 minutes ago, W6er said:

I'm not sure there would be a health and safety issue do to winds of 45 mph, but I'm wondering whether it would make a farce of the game. If it goes ahead I'd be pleased, as it's the same circumstances for both teams, unless the wind dies down in one half! It could make for a very interesting cup tie and might suit us more.

I don't recall being at a game thar was abandoned because if wind but a few that have made things difficult for the players. Could be one of those games where the question is.. Are you better playing into or with the wind?

Edited by St.Ricky

9 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

I don't recall being at a fane thar was abandoned because if wind but a few that have made things difficult for the players. Could be one of those games where the question is.. Are you better playing into or with the wind?

I think one is always better playing with the wind. If we win the toss we should definitely decide to play with the win, as it could die down in the second half. Furthermore, playing into the wind is tiring, and if we took a two goal lead into half time, they'd feel despondent as well as tired. It will make the game more unpredictable.

1 minute ago, W6er said:

I think one is always better playing with the wind. If we win the toss we should definitely decide to play with the win, as it could die down in the second half. Furthermore, playing into the wind is tiring, and if we took a two goal lead into half time, they'd feel despondent as well as tired. It will make the game more unpredictable.

I thought the "advantage" of the wind meant little when players reached 14-16? 

11 minutes ago, W6er said:

Makes sense. 

The wind can cause havoc with clearances and goal kicks. Into the wind in particular 

23 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

Makes sense. 

The wind can cause havoc with clearances and goal kicks. Into the wind in particular 

That's why the Arbroath game was abandoned:

https://www.sundaypost.com/fp/the-keeper-conceded-a-corner-from-his-own-kick-out-strong-winds-force-match-between-arbroath-and-stranraer-to-be-abandoned/

37 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

I thought the "advantage" of the wind meant little when players reached 14-16? 

Not to my knowledge. If the wind is the same speed throughout the game then arguably conditions are even. But if you're playing into a 45 mph wind, I'd suggest it must have an impact on you.

8 minutes ago, W6er said:

That's why the Arbroath game was abandoned:

https://www.sundaypost.com/fp/the-keeper-conceded-a-corner-from-his-own-kick-out-strong-winds-force-match-between-arbroath-and-stranraer-to-be-abandoned/

Not to my knowledge. If the wind is the same speed throughout the game then arguably conditions are even. But if you're playing into a 45 mph wind, I'd suggest it must have an impact on you.

I've gone to more than one game at Arbroath over the years. When the wind is blowing in from the sea, it's a nightmare. Also been there on a pleasant, warm and sunny day.