Them and Us

St.Ricky

Two teams are needed to have a football match. To have any atmosphere, two sets of fans are needed to provide noise and colour as they each support their respective teams. I value the support for both sides whilst preferring my own. 

I love the noise, colour and excitement that the folks in W7 bring. I enjoy away fans making a racket and getting behind their team and like us occasionally on the back of the opposition and officials but I don't take that too seriously, just an immediate emotional reaction. 

I don't like sectarian stuff. I just don't see that as supporting a team. 

But this is gradually diminishing although sadly still present. 

Edited by St.Ricky

2 hours ago, St.Ricky said:

Two teams are needed to have a football match. To have any atmosphere, two sets of fans are needed to provide noise and colour as they each support their respective teams. I value the support for both sides whilst preferring my own. 

I love the noise, colour and excitement that the folks in W7 bring. I enjoy away fans making a racket and getting behind their team and like us occasionally on the back of the opposition and officials but I don't take that too seriously, just an immediate emotional reaction. 

I don't like sectarian stuff. I just don't see that as supporting a team. 

But this is gradually diminishing although sadly still present. 

Gradually diminishing

In what planet

10 minutes ago, shull said:

Us - Generally good people.

Them - Vile sectarian bigoted scum.

GET THEM TAE FECK

Us.. Mixed bunch, like any other group but with a local identity. As likely to "dislike" the Greenock Soap Dodgers as anyone else. Now why might that be? Wait, they support their local team. Reasons for both are the same. Result, general banter and minor level offensive singing by both sides. Agreed? 

4 minutes ago, shull said:

Morton fans - good dudes

Now we are getting somewhere. So what divides to OF from this relationship? Is it that they fish in the same local pool for fans as we do in our area? Is it Sectarian?Is it political. Irish Reunification? 

Not too sure on the point of the thread, but I think there's something to be said for our support Vs. them (the rest)

St Mirren support is almost unrecognisable from a few seasons ago - we used to be simply known for booing/launching abuse. Over the last few years, our entire support has changed in mentality. 

If you ask a St Mirren fan (or in fairness, fans of other clubs) what the St Mirren support is like they'd probably say things like loud, passionate, good numbers. Not many other teams get that kind of feedback about their support. I'd say the best of the rest are probably Kilmarnock, Aberdeen, Motherwell and Dundee United

Said on the other thread that I thought the Rangers support the other night was dreadful. Barely made noise, half of them left early to get the subway, despite the game still being far from won. More watchers than supporters

13 minutes ago, Doakes said:

Not too sure on the point of the thread, but I think there's something to be said for our support Vs. them (the rest)

St Mirren support is almost unrecognisable from a few seasons ago - we used to be simply known for booing/launching abuse. Over the last few years, our entire support has changed in mentality. 

If you ask a St Mirren fan (or in fairness, fans of other clubs) what the St Mirren support is like they'd probably say things like loud, passionate, good numbers. Not many other teams get that kind of feedback about their support. I'd say the best of the rest are probably Kilmarnock, Aberdeen, Motherwell and Dundee United

Said on the other thread that I thought the Rangers support the other night was dreadful. Barely made noise, half of them left early to get the subway, despite the game still being far from won. More watchers than supporters

Our support Has got better. No doubt about it. 

As for Rangers fans the other night. You are correct in saying that a number left early. 

But.. Otherwise I still think they were better behaved than in the past and loved the reaction of both sets of fans to the minutes applause. 

Made me proud to be a Saints Fan. 

Out of mild interest in this thread's back and forth....

No one has so far even mentioned the bigot songbook in their comments.

Were there no knees covered in blood or copulating references to the Pope and the IRA, at all?

If not, then perhaps they are getting better...   :unsure:

14 minutes ago, antrin said:

Out of mild interest in this thread's back and forth....

No one has so far even mentioned the bigot songbook in their comments.

Were there no knees covered in blood or copulating references to the Pope and the IRA, at all?

If not, then perhaps they are getting better...   :unsure:

There was definitely at least one rendition of The Sash, the obligatory GSTQ, a chorus of WATP and an airing of Rule Britannia......that said they were fairly quiet for most of the evening and the noisy buggers behind me made it difficult to make out what those lovely, righteous and sportingly good young fellows (if you believe Old Ricky) in the front of the Broomloan Stand nearest the Main Stand were chanting (I can imagine what it would be right enough).

1 hour ago, St.Ricky said:

Our support Has got better. No doubt about it. 

As for Rangers fans the other night. You are correct in saying that a number left early. 

But.. Otherwise I still think they were better behaved than in the past and loved the reaction of both sets of fans to the minutes applause. 

Made me proud to be a Saints Fan. 

There was Sevco fans moaning on social media about fans appaulding Kyle getting stretchered off

1 hour ago, WeeBud said:

There was definitely at least one rendition of The Sash, the obligatory GSTQ, a chorus of WATP and an airing of Rule Britannia......that said they were fairly quiet for most of the evening and the noisy buggers behind me made it difficult to make out what those lovely, righteous and sportingly good young fellows (if you believe Old Ricky) in the front of the Broomloan Stand nearest the Main Stand were chanting (I can imagine what it would be right enough).

Not quite what I said WeeBud. 

I highlighted some good behaviours that surprised but pleased me. 

1. Their captain blessing himself as he came onto the pitch and no complaints from their fans. 

2. That Both Sets of fans set a good example in the way they took part in the 13th Minute applause. 

3. As Kyle was taken off past the East Stand and Main Stand, the Rangers Fans there applauded him. I'd like to think that we would do the same if positions were reversed. 

As to the song sheet.. Some but not nearly as much as in the past. I've already paid tribute to the noisy but good natured support from our fans. 

All in an improvement. 

39 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

Not quite what I said WeeBud. 

I highlighted some good behaviours that surprised but pleased me. 

1. Their captain blessing himself as he came onto the pitch and no complaints from their fans. 

2. That Both Sets of fans set a good example in the way they took part in the 13th Minute applause. 

3. As Kyle was taken off past the East Stand and Main Stand, the Rangers Fans there applauded him. I'd like to think that we would do the same if positions were reversed. 

As to the song sheet.. Some but not nearly as much as in the past. I've already paid tribute to the noisy but good natured support from our fans. 

All in an improvement. 

Is this all it takes to please you?

People demonstrating the absolute minimum of decent human behaviour?

You'll be praising people for holding doors open for you next. :lol: