Hibernian v St Mirren Sat 1 February

St.Ricky

Agree with this. Would only add that Obika and Morias put in a serious amount of work today and showed signs of tiredness so perhaps should have been subbed earlier. Thought Hodson slotted in well when he came on. 

Obika put in work today?? When was that when was getting off the team bus. His work rate is 0. His ball control is 0. His heading ability is 0. So how did he play 90mins.

Interesting to read the comments about Obika. Now I wasn't at the game today but the BBC's Kheredine commented on him as follows:
"Jonathan Obika also led the line superbly for the visitors and was part of the reason they were able to play a lot of their football in the Hibs half. "
As like you Kheredine couldn't have been there either. We played the whole game with 10 men.

Interesting to read the comments about Obika. Now I wasn't at the game today but the BBC's Kheredine commented on him as follows:
"Jonathan Obika also led the line superbly for the visitors and was part of the reason they were able to play a lot of their football in the Hibs half. "

Yep I wasn’t there but can’t say I’m surprised. Been couple of instances where other managers and fans of opposing teams have complimented Obika this season.

It’s just a vocal minority of our fans that don’t like him. Thankfully our manager ignores them and I suspect and hope that he will continue to.

Just now, TopCat said:

Yep I wasn’t there but can’t say I’m surprised. Been couple of instances where other managers and fans of opposing teams have complimented Obika this season.

It’s just a vocal minority of our fans that don’t like him. Thankfully our manager ignores them and I suspect and hope that he will continue to.

That leaves 22 games where they haven't. :lol:

Funny how the ones that hardly go to a game think hes alright. 6ft1. Not once this season has he had a header on target. Sorry if Gabbi is the player he looks like on YouTube then find Obika a good seat on the bench.

Obika gets a raw deal from many people, but today he had a bad game. 

He is a good player and is probably one of the most experienced players at the club. 

Now we are slightly top heavy in the forward positions,  we now no we have options.  If someone is continually putting in bad performances,  they will be replaced.  This competition in the final 3rd can only be a good thing in the remainder of the season. 

44 minutes ago, santaponsasaint said:
1 hour ago, rabuddies said:

As like you Kheredine couldn't have been there either. We played the whole game with 10 men.

Only managed to hold the ball and link up play 4 times the entire match and can't remember him winning a header.

7 goals of which 1 was decent and a few were lucky.

Personally see him as a bit of a liability as has also stopped 3 efforts on goal by others players in those games that looked as if were going in. His first touch and control is poor and has a lack of mobility. Being unable to hold the ball up more often or do much when he receives it just ends up with the ball coming back at us. I can't believe that anyone thinks he is a good frontman for us and couldn't say at the end of any match that he had a good game for us.

1 hour ago, faraway saint said:

There are no words. :lol:

Certainly none that you would understand. Let me make it as simple as possible. Obika used his physicality to unsettle the Hibs defence. He chased every ball. He made a real nuisance of himself. Yes.. His touch let him down. Sorted? 

Guest TPAFKATS
Obika put in work today?? When was that when was getting off the team bus. His work rate is 0. His ball control is 0. His heading ability is 0. So how did he play 90mins. 
You didn't notice his run to near post, drawing defenders to him leaving Andreu unmarked to score the second goal?

Funny how the ones that hardly go to a game think hes alright. 6ft1. Not once this season has he had a header on target. Sorry if Gabbi is the player he looks like on YouTube then find Obika a good seat on the bench.

Obika May have height but he can’t jump. He is also not a lone striker. Play Chabbi alongside him against Accies and we’ll see a different, better, Obika.

Obika May have height but he can’t jump. He is also not a lone striker. Play Chabbi alongside him against Accies and we’ll see a different, better, Obika.
I really hope that's true. As someone above said a wee run to the front post doesn't make him a Ronaldo. It is a hard being a lone striker. But you have to hold the ball up to bring the midfield into play. He doesn't do that. How many times today did he trip over the ball. But we all want to be a success but he has to improve.

7 minutes ago, santaponsasaint said:
12 minutes ago, turrabuddie said:

I really hope that's true. As someone above said a wee run to the front post doesn't make him a Ronaldo. It is a hard being a lone striker. But you have to hold the ball up to bring the midfield into play. He doesn't do that. How many times today did he trip over the ball. But we all want to be a success but he has to improve.

See turrabuddie main point. Play a player alongside him and see the improvement. 

Guest TPAFKATS
He didn't really do it against Aberdeen either. However he has linked up in other games, so he can do it. Just a bad run hopefully

37 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:
2 hours ago, santaponsasaint said:

You didn't notice his run to near post, drawing defenders to him leaving Andreu unmarked to score the second goal?

Must admit I totally missed that. He may have a football brain after all but that is not the issue.

27 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

See turrabuddie main point. Play a player alongside him and see the improvement. 

Shouldn't need someone holding his hand and clutching at straws if you think it is going to make him look any better. No pace, Poor control, Can't jump, Muscled out too often, Can't turn. When we brought on other players up front late on in games it made no difference so why would it magically happen now. Would have played Mullen any day of the week over him and the fact that he is/was our first choice striker says it all. Was maybe worth a punt but would prefer he was punted. 

Can't recall the amount of FFS I have made at his expense. 

13 minutes ago, truesaint said:

Must admit I totally missed that. He may have a football brain after all but that is not the issue.

Shouldn't need someone holding his hand and clutching at straws if you think it is going to make him look any better. No pace, Poor control, Can't jump, Muscled out too often, Can't turn. When we brought on other players up front late on in games it made no difference so why would it magically happen now. Would have played Mullen any day of the week over him and the fact that he is/was our first choice striker says it all. Was maybe worth a punt but would prefer he was punted. 

Can't recall the amount of FFS I have made at his expense. 

Clearly, you don't rate him I do. 

He's not perfect  That's true. 

7 hours ago, munoz said:

Obika gets a raw deal from many people, but today he had a bad game. 

He is a good player and is probably one of the most experienced players at the club. 

Now we are slightly top heavy in the forward positions,  we now no we have options.  If someone is continually putting in bad performances,  they will be replaced.  This competition in the final 3rd can only be a good thing in the remainder of the season. 

With these options I think he can be more useful.

Aye, he's not, IMO, been great but he's been isolated at times.

With the right support he could be more effective.

He doesn't have a dangerous partner up front, maybe now ha can have.

6 hours ago, St.Ricky said:

Certainly none that you would understand. Let me make it as simple as possible. Obika used his physicality to unsettle the Hibs defence. He chased every ball. He made a real nuisance of himself. Yes.. His touch let him down. Sorted? 

There's plenty of fat guys in the support who could have done the same.

You are clueless. 

Anyhow, no highlights posted yet?

Until they scored I thought we had played as good as we have this season and, as I've mentioned, our second goal was a peach from start to finish. 

9 hours ago, santaponsasaint said:

Well, quite frankly if Gabbi was not going to take over the striking position then what was the point in signing him. I like Obika the way I liked Memet, and Sam Parkin. Does a job. Hopefully Gabbi is better, but if not then Obika is far from the worst out there.

Edited by insaintee

Why? It's the truth, some of the head in the clouds stuff on here makes you forget that whilst we've done ok this season we are still in amongst it, and there is still a lot of work to be done

Could say that about the teams above us too, not a lot in it. A lot to play for yet.

59 minutes ago, ged62 said:

Could say that about the teams above us too, not a lot in it. A lot to play for yet.

As a guy said to me at Easter Road yesterday. This is a great league this year with things tight at the top between the top two and in the bottom six. Tough on the nerves but fascinating. No meaningless games.