Paul McGinn

MenstrieSaint

Just now, MenstrieSaint said:

Mates a Hibs fan , that's the rumour they are hearing . Hibs need a right back to replace Naismith . Might also explain why he wasn't playing from the start today and why Goodie put him on in the last minute to say his goodbyes

Thanks Menstrie 

Not too fazed tbh . We're solid enough defensively and still have options , bearing in mind Kirky can also play RB. If this gives us the chance to bring in another two attacking players then so be it ! A McGinnless club come the summer ?

6 minutes ago, billyg said:

Not too fazed tbh . We're solid enough defensively and still have options , bearing in mind Kirky can also play RB. If this gives us the chance to bring in another two attacking players then so be it ! A McGinnless club come the summer ?

Indeed.

Hearts showed today what happens when you have real quality finishers.

AS much as McGinn is a very solid player for us, If we can get one player that knows where the goal is with McGinn's fee, then it could be the difference between relegation and staying up.

Actually prefer Flynn at RB if honest, not knocking Paul think he’s been one of our better players the past 2 seasons but really enjoyed seeing flynny back there. As others have said if it frees up money and we bring in a creative attacking option I’d be happy 

McGinn is Mr. Reliable. A jack of all trades and good cover to have at the back - in many ways, he's a bit like Lee Hodson was.

That being said, we need attacking players - and good ones at that - as a premium, We are well covered in the central defensive positions and Flynn, good as he's been in central mid, looks even better as a right back. So the role he plays, whilst important for cover, isn't absolutely vital at this point.

If McGinn goes, I dare say it's because he was already interesting Hibs anyway and would have left in the Summer regardless. He has a good working relationship with Jack Ross from the time at Dumbarton and JR signing him on for us again before bailing out to Sunderland.

Given Goodwin has said we're already looking at two players before this news came, I'd hope the money brought in for him leaving would be able to maybe squeeze one more signing out.

It's of massive importance now that we get the right bodies in. Hamilton are certainly worse than us and hopefully this will be their year to go. Everyone else though in that bottom six is much of a muchness (Hearts have definitely got it together though....the signing of Boyce worried me instantly) so one of two quality faces in the top end of the pitch could make all the difference for us.

57 minutes ago, MenstrieSaint said:

If McGinn goes I,d like to see us bring three in . Right back creative midfielder and attacker .  

I think we would need to replace McGiñn if he goes. Flynn has looked good there, but we can't go into the rest of the season without a recognised right back.

Having a little time to reflect on this I wish Paul every success if, as expected he goes. He has done a great job for Saints. 

There is irony in that Hibs current need has been exacerbated by an injury to an ex St Mirren player. 

Getting injured players back in first team contention is important as is bringing in reinforcements which strengthen the team. 

We don't seem, so far, to have managed to move on Cody, Danny or Djorkaeff. If we don't, then our need for cash in to help fund extra players will be paramount. Imo

McGinn has always done well for us and I think it will be a significant loss. Hopefully JG has an incoming transfer in mind - and it may work out fine - although we will likely be gambling unknown against proven.

That said, if he wants to go there's probably no point standing in his way.

I imagine he'll go with everyone's best wishes - he'll certainly go with mine

2 hours ago, mattman said:

Actually prefer Flynn at RB if honest, not knocking Paul think he’s been one of our better players the past 2 seasons but really enjoyed seeing flynny back there. As others have said if it frees up money and we bring in a creative attacking option I’d be happy 

I agree with this. McGinn is a good 7/10 every week but Flynn offers a wee bit more in that role IMO. Good servant and wish him all the best. 

As much as Flynn has done well, I really hope we have another rightback coming in if McGinn goes. Would rather someone who naturally plays there, plus it would mean Flynn can go back into midfield now Magennis is out.

Fair play to Paul McGinn if he ends up at Easter Road. He's a good player for a bottom six club like ourselves but not sure he's good enough for Hibs. Guessing Ross sees him as the best, most reliable, affordable option at such short notice.

Edited by Stu

Having a little time to reflect on this I wish Paul every success if, as expected he goes. He has done a great job for Saints. 
There is irony in that Hibs current need has been exacerbated by an injury to an ex St Mirren player. 
Getting injured players back in first team contention is important as is bringing in reinforcements which strengthen the team. 
We don't seem, so far, to have managed to move on Cody, Danny or Djorkaeff. If we don't, then our need for cash in to help fund extra players will be paramount. Imo
The irony runs a lot deeper.

Hibs need him to replace the guy that was called into our first team ahead of him causing him to leave to the place where he first met up with the manager who is now looking to sign him for the second time even though the manager has never once picked him in a starting 11. The manager has also sold the guy before now.

If he leaves before the end of the season he will no doubt be the only McGinn to not have won a medal with us. Must be awkward at the dinner table.

1 hour ago, St.Ricky said:

Almost forgot about him. He seems never really to have been given a chance. Quite strange considering he was one of JG's first signings. 

Perhaps he was a bit of a panic signing considering we were barely able to field a team when he signed. 

Strange one nonetheless. 

Really surprised to see this, however, as others have said, I don’t want to see us keep an unhappy player.

Ironic if Jack wants to sign him to replace the injured Naismith.

Paul has been a magnificent servant to the club and if he wants to go (to Hibs) then good luck to him.

I personally think he was better in midfield for us, and Flynn looks a natural at RB.

Thanks for the memories and good luck.